Tell Me It Isn't So?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Tell Me It Isn't So?

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I hope this is just a silly rumor. I was told yesterday that Fox Lake's 66 ft. wide public access site is to have a chain link fence installed. Tell me it isn't so...it would ruin the character of the lake.
McGrass
Bob Sramek

Re: Tell Me It Isn't So?

Post by Bob Sramek »

I am anxious to see the new signage at the Fox Lake Boat Launch.
It appears that the township has now been discussing, planning, designing, making new signage for over a year now?
That must be SOME SIGNAGE!
skasbaum

Post by skasbaum »

So, I haven't heard this rumor yet, but let me just say if that is the case then there will be lots of pushback by this resident of the Fox Lake. Is this supposedly coming from something the township has decided to do or is this coming from the new property owner next to the boat launch? Of course, there are a ton of boats that are still left there that were supposed to be moved by order of the township so I would think this will go nowhere..........
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

This instillation was told to me as coming from Peaine Township. Township residents were not consulted. It is a detriment to the enjoyment of the lake by visitors and island residents and not requested by the adjacent property owner. It is unnecessary and simple signs indicating the lot lines would be sufficient. Let's keep our island attractive and avoid unnecessary blight to one of our most pristine lakes.
McGrass
pbona

Post by pbona »

I really do hope this is a rumor. If not as the songs go...Chain Chain Chain, chain of Foo..., Don' t fence me in or out. Is there a vaccination for the world wide wall building plague?
De fence is offensive,
Pat B.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I am sure that the township supervisor will clear this up soon. If not, maybe his assistants Kathe, Andy, Tracey or John know something about this and will come forward to enlighten us.
Bob
BradG

Post by BradG »

If this is true, it wasn't discussed at the township board meeting which means it's a unilateral decision by the supervisor without public discussion. What's the story Bill?
martin

Post by martin »

Me thinks the perpetrator is in hiding. [-X
martin
Beaver Bump

Post by Beaver Bump »

This is a prime example of the many other times that Pam, Brad and a few other have posted on this forum misleading or saying flat out lies in order to try and make others look bad that they do not like. Not only has this been discussed at pervious meetings, it is also in Junes minutes.
Shame on Pam for saying, " Township residents were not consulted." Shame on Brad for saying, "If this is true, it wasn't discussed at the township board meeting which means it's a unilateral decision by the supervisor without public discussion." Shame on Martin for saying, "Me thinks the perpetrator is in hiding." I ask each of you to explain, as you were asking Bill to explain and made untrue accusations towards him, why you didn't just pick up the phone or stop in during office hours and asking him about this? Better yet you could have just gone to any of these meeting and discusses this issue and you would then know why things are being done the way that they are. If you could use your negative energy towards getting good done on the island we would be much further ahead but instead you just continue to put negative/lies on the forum instead of working together.

This is the copy of the minutes from last month:

Peaine Township Regular Meeting June 13th, 2018 at 7:00PM at the Peaine Township Hall

Members Present: Bill Kohls, Carla Martin, Ernie Martin, Paul Welke
Members Absent: Larry Kubic

Meeting called to order at 7:00pm.

MOTION Kohls, second E. Martin to approve the minutes of the May 9th, 2018 regular meeting, motion approved.

MOTION Kohls, second Welke to post for the vacancy, left by Jean Kinsley’s resignation, on the Board of Review, motion approved.

An update was given by Beaver Island Historical Society Director, Lori Taylor-Bliss.

MOTION Kohls, second Welke to authorize the purchase of approximately $1240 on new signage for Peaine Township as well the purchase of related materials and a 36 inch chain link fence for the Fox Lake access site, motion approved.

Kohls and Welke were designated to meet with Travis Martin and Jeff Powers from St. James Township regarding the status of the Waste Management Committee.

MOTION Kohls, second Welke to accept the lowest bid, from Gillespie Enterprises, for ten-thousand tons of gravel, motion approved.

MOTION Kohls, second E. Martin to approve payment of current bills, motion approved.

MOTION Kohls, second E. Martin to adjourn (7:53pm), motion approved.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Dear Beaver Bump,

I asked a legitimate question about whether it was true that there would be a chain link fence at Fox Lake. I also simply stated my opinion that such a fence is out of character with the character of the lake. Your message made clear that the rumor was fact, and that it had been voted on at the Peaine Township Board meeting.

Beyond that, I felt anger in your response. I am using this as a learning experience and sharing my feelings on the forum, in hopes that it might prevent someone else from what felt to me (even if not intended by the author, “Beaver Bump”) an attempt to make me feel badly for raising the question and perhaps even attempting to humiliate individuals publicly. Again, that may not have been the intent, but perhaps we can all learn from my uncomfortable experience.

There have been many examples of concerns about bullying (and its related concept, shaming) in this country, in and out of schools. The Internet is full of information on the power of shaming and according to experts in the field (paraphrased), “There are many different ways we shame others: Sarcasm, name-calling, expressing disgust, and eye-rolling are all ways we communicate that someone else is not worthy of our respect. Shaming behaviors make us feel superior to that other person. Shame takes its energy from judgment and self-righteousness. Shame, in whatever form it takes, is a way to control the other person by using their deeply ingrained need for connection to threaten them with disconnection.”
“People shame one another because shaming is an effective way of gaining power over others and altering and shaping their behavior. Shame communicates who is outcast and who is elite; who is one-down and who is one-up.”

I cannot speak to the intent of Beaver Bump and others who may use such approaches (I do believe there are many examples here on our own Forum) but perhaps if we who have felt we were at the other end of someone’s bullying or shaming practices are open about how it feels, and what practices might cause this feeling, we can all learn. At the very least, we may learn from your post and shame-proof ourselves.

I await the phone call from the private message that I sent to you yesterday.
McGrass
pbona

Post by pbona »

Hello Islanders,
In an effort to direct this thread back to the original topic, I would like to suggest the following:
1) Who actually needs this fence? The township or the property owner? If the owner, is it not their responsibility to erect it? Township funds could be better utilized in other efforts.
2) The observations as to aesthetics are valid. Chainlink fence at Fox Lake and (unthinkably) by extension at all the other township public sites would be an eyesore and contrary to the "natural" unspoiled environment that is supposed to characterize BI and attract visitors.
3) There is no shame in a reconsidering a well intentioned motion. How about a "do-over?" A waiting period to see if the signs are effective?
De-fenceless,
Pat B.
Dashwoode

Post by Dashwoode »

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-gif-7.gif
pot-calling-the-kettle-black-gif-7.gif (103.43 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
This thread from Ms. Mcgrass with comments from BradG, Martin and Bob are shining examples of poking at others on the forum. Now we have to add BI Pirate to the mix. ](*,) [-X ](*,)
Last edited by Dashwoode on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Beaver Bump »

I would again suggest instead of just posting on this forum that you go to meetings, contact your township officials (many of which hold office hours just for such thing) and ask questions because I am sure there is far more to this than you are aware and this forum is known for only getting part of the information out. I know for instance that there use to be a wood fence at the Fox lake location but it was taken down by people that were camping or partying and used for fire wood and there were signs up that were torn down, people have been destructive and disrespectful to the property owners next to the public access and so the township really is trying to be a better neighbor and take care of the problem.

I understand some of the concerns but then again the people on this forum are also not the property owners that have had to deal with this for years. I am sure there is much more to this story than just the information I am giving you so again I encourage anybody that is concerned to stop just complaining on the forum but go to meetings, talk to your board members, ask questions and get ALL of the facts and not just listen to a few complainers that are only giving half the facts and if they truly were just asking a question they would have done that to their township officials instead of just posting it on the forum.
Dashwoode

Post by Dashwoode »

Beaver bump...

So many good points!!

=D>

Post by BI Pirate »

Beaver Island needs to think "big" and have consistency with its natural ascetic beauty plan. The fence around the BI boat dock is not only ascetically and naturally beautiful it has proved to keep us safe from terrorists. A cheap chain link fence at Fox Lake is not going to keep those row boat terrorists out, you need a big ass green fence with spikes on the top and maybe razor wire just to be sure. Nothing welcomes visitors and potential residents to BI like an environment that resembles a prison camp. They will feel so much safer coming here while taking in the beauty of the island that seems to be stupidly and radically shrinking.
I would suggest buying the big ass, ugly green fence sections in volume so at a later date to be able to fence off Barney's Lake and Font Lake landings. :? :? :?
Skull&CrossBones