Peaine Township Vision for the Future

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Peaine Township Vision for the Future

Post by JFPowers »

I would like to ask all of the folks against consolidation to provide everyone with what your vision is to improve "Peaine Township".

As President of the wildlife club we have repeatedly offered to pay for small fishing docks at Lake geneserath and Fox Lake. We have been ignored. What is your vision for these and other township resources such as the Wagner campground boat launch. We have sought to improve these resources as so many visitors and residents alike have asked for these improvements.

It would seem prudent that if you choose to not participate in what could possibly be a stronger United voice for Beaver Island, what will you positively do with the resources of the future to help the Island prosper
Gillespie

Re: Peaine Township Vision for the Future

Post by Gillespie »

This has been my question for many years. What gets done or is done in Peaine unless it's an echo of needs in St. James? In Bill Kohls interview last night he talked about the costs of paving in Peaine but admitted nothing was done because of cost, that would include trying to find a better way to contain cost (including consolidation) or any other innovative idea. This is where we are sunk! No one really cares! The State has not cut a single tree here in over 15 years, it is part of their mission statement on state owned properties WHICH helps to feed the critters. The only export we have! It's not about me, I'm nearly done! The anti group which is largely formed of existing board members, family or friends don't give a damn, only about the short term. Their pockets. Recall when Bill Kohls threatened through their mailing, to sue if he was displaced from office early, really?? That's dedication to public service, IT'S ABOUT ME!! Then he denied saying it or whatever although he signed the letter. Hmmm. Those against seem only to be waiting for someone to handwalk them down the aisle instead of doing their own research for facts! Classmates of mine who were born in the same township (St. James) and family members turning their backs for the most selfish reasons I have ever heard! We are talking about the future of a community here folks, not just yourselves or your homesteads! There are business people struggling from year to year to survive who support many local things and pay top dollar taxes. We need to move ahead! VOTE YES ON CONSOLIDATION or sit and watch it die.............
Jimmy McCafferty

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

Have been to every Peaine Township meetings since I moved here last August. I think the most people in attendance has been less than 10. Have not seen you there Jeff or Richie . There is a public comment and question opportunity at every meeting, perhaps you are unaware of this process. Questions, comments and concerns can be addressed at this format.
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Hey, Jeff . . .

Thanks for your post.

Unable to make a coherent case for consolidation, unable to support their claims with a rational argument and unwilling to respond to questions . . . this appears to be a somewhat desperate and pathetic attempt to turn the tables.

Note that it was Paul Welke who spoke against accepting the Wildlife Club’s contribution for portable docks as well as replacing the boat launch at the campground. To his credit, he suggested that we participate with St. James Township to secure a suitable boat launch on the harbor, but I nonetheless suggest that you direct your questions to him.

Each of the proponents should ask themselves if they want to be associated with Richie’s character assassination. Is that important that you get you way that you will tacitly endorse such rhetoric?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It appears your question goes unanswered Jeff.
Jimmy McCafferty

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

Everyone is going to see how much support Bill Kohls has next Tuesday.
martin

Post by martin »

Good Jimmy: Retire to Beaver Island where you were born and to heck with anyone else.
martin
beaverman

Post by beaverman »

Rumor has it that originally the cleaning of the township hall would be $17 an hour. Somehow Bill's wife got it for $25. Is that the vision for the future??
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I can help you with how this happened I am posting a section of the minutes in the order that they happened so you can see the pay was increased BEFORE they decided who they were going to hire as it should be $25/hour is more the going rate on the island.

MOTION C. Martin, second Welke to increase the wages for the cleaning of the Peaine Township Hall from $18 per hour to $25 per hour, motion approved.

MOTION Welke, second E. Martin to hire Angela Kohls as cleaning person for the Peaine Township Hall, Ayes: Welke, Kubic, C. Martin, E. Martin Nays: None Abstentions: Kohls, motion approved.

This should be the vision as everything was done correctly, no nepotism as you can see Bill Kohls abstened as he should have. Maybe you should go to a meeting or read some minutes is you want to know what is going on.

Keep grasping at those straws by creating fake people to try to bring up anything to cloud the issues instead of having actual FACTS!
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Andy,

When you put those motions back to back like that it doesn't reflect the greatest point to your favor. Especially if it was in the same meeting. A tiny issue and I don't care one way or the other as far as the raise or if you got the job. Cleaning is a good job to get these days at $25 an hour. You might have been the only one to apply? I don't care or know how it was put into effect but what you posted doesn't look so great.

Topic is Peaine Township Vision for the Future?

Carol
burton
Andy's Grooming Barn

Carol,
I am not sure why you feel it doesn't reflect the greatest point in my favor they did everything correctly and I didn't do anything wrong either. There were others that applied, I don't recall who at the moment. I put the motions in the order that they were done which was the correct order to do it, raise the pay prior to picking the worker. Carla motioned to increase the pay and Paul seconded. THEN Paul motioned for me to get the job and Ernie seconded it. If you questioned this why don't you ask Paul?

As for $25/hour being good money, I have to pay the taxes out of that because I am not a township employee and it is only about 2 hours per weeks ($50) not a 40 hour a week job at $25 per hour as you know all of this since your mother in law was doing the job prior to me.

This is not some great job, I only looked at working this job as well as some other cleaning jobs because it is something I am able to do when I am on call with EMS, I have intentionally been trying to set my work schedule with jobs to make me as flexible to work EMS shifts as possible because I am trying to do what is best for BI and it's future!

Again this all has nothing to do with consolidation, just you guys trying to make people look bad as if we are doing something wrong because apparently you have no real facts, nothing was done wrong so try to stick to the topic.
Andy Kohls
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great point Andy!!

Those that support consolidation have no real, fact based information in support of this. So they resort to bullying, name calling and trying to divert the attention from the fact that they have nothing....
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I just started this thread because we thought providing tourists more access at the inland fishing lakes in Peaine Township would be a good idea. Jimmy, I went once and Bob Tidmore went on behalf of the club once but you are right it wasn't in the last year or so.

Less people (at least on the ferry) are coming to the island, Peaine has the greatest natural resource and also (as many pointed out) has hefty fund balances. I was just curious as to what plans were in the works to improve township resources to attract more visitors to help building a dying Private economy. Less people coming plus people shopping more on the internet, well you do the math, bricks and mortar stores as we know them are already going away and we will see more shrinkage here unless something changes.

Maybe since so much of the island is already a publicly funded economy maybe it should just all go that way, total involvement as a state park etc.

Status quo is a slow death right now.
stardust

Post by stardust »

How long could it take to clean the township hall ?
Andy's Grooming Barn

I will be cleaning it this afternoon feel free to stop in and watch so you can see and time me. Pretty judgement for somebody that has never done it. 2 hours a week is not that much just moping the floor is a lot let alone there are 3 bathrooms, I will be there about 1-1:30pm and look forward to seeing you.
Andy Kohls