Unknown Website

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Unknown Website

Post by islandliving »

http://www.discoverbeaverisland.com/

I would think that someone who developed this website is from Beaver Island. I am confused why whoever created this would not come forward and let Beaver Island know why the website is being started. Is it an extension of the Chamber??? Is it a sneaky move to replace or compete with the Chamber. Whoever created the site just let the people know. discoverbeaverisland sound like something,
What is it or what will it be???????

John McCafferty
islandliving

Re: Unknown Website

Post by islandliving »

http://www.discoverbeaverisland.org/

I would also like to know who created this website???

John McCafferty
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

do a little research John, you can easily find out who registered a domain. ](*,) it took me about 30 seconds to find out who registered it.

From this thread and the "NEW Facebook Targeted Island Advertising" thread you highjacked, you seem quite concerned someone might be doing something on BI without your permission.

Why, as you have stated, would anyone need to "discuss" anything with you before they do something?
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Oh yeah I had seen those websites, too - and had wondered if they were made by the islandlivings. Or by andy? Wasn’t one of you the cb, cd, dc whatever it was... hm

Regardless, I do admire the thought provoking blurbs on the .org site.

Meg Anderson
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thank you both to your great answers to my questions. I really do appreciate it!!

John McCafferty
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. McCafferty, Me thinks thou doth protest too much.
DC
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

http://www.discoverbeaverisland.com/

This is the site I am most interested on who is behind it and what it is going to be about. Simple question. I don’t see that this is a protest or out of line to ask about it. I do not understand why you, K.A., Meg, and Darby would be mean to me on the forum for asking a very simple question?

John McCafferty
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

John, I sent you a private message (on Friday afternoon) as you had asked anyone to do if they knew information about the website. I gave you the website to look up the registrant's information as well as what the site said. Unless you did not get my message or you cannot find the information as KA Pike suggested searching for, I do not understand why you are still asking who created it. Perhaps you could send the person a private message as I believe they are a member of forum.

Kayla Anderson
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thank you Kayla, I went to your pm and it says it was deleted. Sorry I do not no how figure out who created the website. At this point it doesn’t matter because now the website has disappeared. If you click on it now it just takes you to the www.discoverbeaverisland.org. I am just confused by the whole thing and the secrecy behind it? All I did is ask about it and people are making me out to be the bad guy. Just like the consolidation, ask a question and your an ass.

John McCafferty
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Check your private messages again. I was confused because of the continued repetition of your same questions about, especially who did it since I had sent you the info. I guess you didn't see the notification of my pm or read it. As for being made out to be the bad guy, it's only because seeing the same questions and comments over and over is frustrating to most. Ask or comment, but if no one answers on here after the first time, I doubt they will. Your repetition of the website questions portrays you as being an intimidator. Online comments, texting, etc are sometimes read completely different than from person to person communication. I hope the information gives you what you need to move on and decide whether you want to ask the person yourself or not about the site. I gave you the info so you don't have to keep asking an entire forum of people about it and because I don't think anyone can answer your questions but the creator. Maybe the person is investing in the url so no one can take it, later to be used as a rental website or sold to an island organization for a profit. Anyways, enjoy your Sunday!
Kayla Anderson
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Maybe "creator" should be "Creator" and that might end the questioning? :shock: :wink: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
Richards

disheartened

Post by Richards »

Dear John and Tracy,

It is disheartening to see you make continual attacks on the general public of Beaver Island. Endeavors of individuals working for the greater good of the island are not personal attacks on you, or the established positions currently in place on the island.

In considering your concern about a website about Beaver Island being created without your permission, I spent about 5 minutes looking for various websites relaying information about Mackinac Island, and came up with 4-5. You can see links below. There are probably more websites in the process of being created, and I am pretty certain they do not all originate from the Mackinac Island Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.mackinacisland.org
http://www.mackinac.com/
http://www.cityofmi.org/
http://www.mackinacisland.net/
http://www.mackinacparks.com/

I speak with many islanders and homeowners every day. There is a great amount of talent in our community, and we would benefit from tapping into that resource as we are making our way into the 21st century. As my mother taught me as a young girl, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." or "It is better to build others up rather than tear them down.".
Beaver Island needs unity in order to achieve growth. Please be the change.

Sheri Richards ~ Resident Realtor
"Welcoming neighbors, one sale at a time."
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Sherry,

I think that you are misunderstanding John's intent. Rumors are flying around about a "new" chamber...if this website is the beginning of that, OK, but why so secretive. Why the minute someone asks a question, is it an attack. We might love the idea of a new chamber, if someone would explain why. Just as we might love one township, if ANYONE would explain why it makes sense. I guess we will just keep asking questions....

Tracey
Richards

Post by Richards »

Tracy,

Sorry for misspelling your name.
There are many rumors that pass around Beaver Island, as in any small town. My friend, Wendy Fogg, once had a very memorable sign at the Dock Office – “Loose lips sink ships.”

I think we would all be wise to take these words to heart.

Sheri
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

So Sheri, you are saying that the rumors of a group attempting a new chamber are false? Tracey