Vince Pickhardt, RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cindyr

Vince Pickhardt, RIP

Post by cindyr »

I received the sad news this evening that Vince Pickhardt has passed away.

Vince grew up in New York, where he excelled in gymnastics. He had two brothers. Vince was a Vietnam veteran who lost much of his hearing from the constant rumble of the airplanes that he worked in and serviced. He worked as an engineer and a scientist in New England, and has several papers to his credit on various things he developed, or theories he expounded on (I'm sorry, much of this was way over my head). For sport, he worked on race cars. After a divorce, he traveled around the country, which led him eventually to northern Michigan.

Long time Beaver Island resident, Vince has had a hand in many local projects over the years. A careful worker, he has assisted many of the local contractors here. He was often called upon for unusual repairs; it was widely known that when a problem seemed unsolvable,Vince could figure it out.

Vince built walkways and ramps for the Marine Museum, and designed and installed the unique netting that enclosed the walkway there. He worked at restoring old boats. He helped Roy Elsworth build his airplane. In recent years, he became involved with the EMS, and spent a great deal of time and his own resources in advancing his education and abilities.

As a hobby, Vince built model boats and airplanes. Not content with just the models, he did extensive histories on the structure, service and demise of the actual vessels. The Beaver Island District Library has showcased his work, complete with written history, diagrams and cutouts of scaled-down humans, so that you could clearly see how crowded a vessel was, when it was in service.

Vince also took great pleasure in feeding the wild animals that visited his property, in gardening, and in landscaping.

Vince has a daughter, Kim, one grandson and one granddaughter. Vince was very proud of each of them.

He was a good friend to me, and I will sorely miss him.
Last edited by cindyr on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

RIP good neighbor and friend.

John McCafferty
Marie S Powers

Post by Marie S Powers »

Oh this news saddens me so. Vince and I had many, many hours of wonderful conversation when we volunteered together at the Marine Museum. I learned so much from him. He was so humble and so talented. Rest my friend.
Marie Sutherland Powers
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

What a great person, good friend and very talented individual. Another veteran lost.

Bob Tidmore
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

What a great guy Vince was, great technical mind, theoretical and much more. He went through a bit of a self induced hell for a time but came out on top. We discussed that a lot. He admired my father so much for his self taught ways which of course, are island ways but a guy like Vince from Connecticut and some of the best learning available including the hell of war just so admired the simple things. Will miss him greatly!
cindyr

Re: Vince Pickhardt, RIP

Post by cindyr »

I was informed that the AMVETS have lowered the flags in Veteran's Park, to honor Vince and his service to the country.
Cindy
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thank you Cindy for posting this. I am just getting around to going through my fathers personal items, it's all still too raw - slowly I will get through his belongings... He had a link saved on his laptop, in his browser for this forum. I appreciate all the kind words and thoughts from you all. He is missed dearly. I am very touched to hear flags were flown at half mast for him. If anyone happens to be able to obtain a copy of the obituary I wrote, I would truly appreciate a copy. (kimbersilvay147@gmail.com) That's what I was looking for by going on here. ~With warm regards ~ Kim
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Sent you the info you requested to your email.

Joe Moore
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Joe, would Kim allow you to post the eulogy here?
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

This is what I posted on News on the 'Net. I don't remember where it came from or who sent it to me:

Vince Pickardt of Beaver Island passed away down in Traverse City last night, March 22, 2018. Vince had quite a few friends on the island, and they should be made aware of his passing away.

Vince grew up in New York, where he excelled in gymnastics. He had two brothers. Vince was a Viet Nam veteran who lost much of his hearing from the constant rumble of the airplanes that he worked in and serviced. He worked as an engineer and a scientist in New England, and has several papers to his credit on various things he developed, or theories he expounded on (I'm sorry, much of this was way over my head). For sport, he worked on race cars. After a divorce, he traveled around the country, which led him eventually to northern Michigan.

Long time Beaver Island resident, Vince has had a hand in many local projects over the years. A careful worker, he has assisted many of the local contractors here. He was often called upon for unusual repairs; it was widely known that when a problem seemed unsolvable,Vince could figure it out.

Vince built walkways and ramps for the Marine Museum, and designed and installed the unique netting that enclosed the walkway there. He worked at restoring old boats. He helped Roy Elsworth build his airplane. In recent years, he became involved with the EMS, and spent a great deal of time, and his own resources in advancing his education and abilities.

As a hobby, Vince built model boats and airplanes. Not content with just the models, he did extensive histories on the structure, service and demise of the actual vessels. The Beaver Island District Library has showcased his work, complete with written history, diagrams and cutouts of scaled-down humans, so that you could clearly see how crowded a vessel was, when it was in service.

Vince also took great pleasure in feeding the wild animals that visited his property, in gardening, and in landscaping.

Vince has a daughter, Kim, one grandson and one granddaughter. Vince was very proud of each of them.

I also posted a picture of Vince in the aircraft when we were transporting a patient off the island during an emergency.

Joe Moore
Vince’s daughter

My fathers obituary Happy Birthday Dad.

Post by Vince’s daughter »

Who was Vince Pickhardt?

Many of you may have known my father, or have heard his name- He moved from NY/CT up to Beaver Island MI in 1980.

Some of you knew the Vince that landed on Garden Island and  moved to BI and lived in a wigwam for several years. I’m not sure any of you truly knew who my Dad, Vincent (Vinny) Pickhardt was,   so I would like to introduce you the man I knew.

My father sailed boats, rode motorcycles, taught scuba diving, was an avid skydiver, as well as a phenomenal gymnast. In 1964 he participated in the Worlds Fair in Flushing, New York as a young 16 yr old gymnast. For those who are not familiar with the Worlds Fair, it was an expo that represented 80 nations with the 52 million visitors in a 6 month time frame.

He was a Vietnam Veteran. He was the navigator of the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk plane in the “We fly nights” missions over Vietnam. He and the pilot were the only two on the aircraft. He received numerous medals including the Commendation Medal and the Air Medal for acts of heroism or meritorious achievement as well as Vietnam service medal with 2 Bronze service stars and the National Defense Service Medal.

In his years on BI he did numerous projects to help out fellow Islanders, he hand fed turkeys and chickadees by the flock on the porch of the home he built on Barney’s Lake Rd. Spending time in nature and with wildlife were two of his many passions.

He spent hours constructing replica boats and planes. His attention to detail was meticulous. The intricate parts of a model I may have thrown away were exciting to him. He originally crafted scale models of legendary boats and  planes, some of which have been displayed in museums on the Island and in Washington DC.

My dad was also highly accomplished in the professional world. Prior to moving to Michigan he worked for the research and development group for Perkin Elmer Corporation in the optical division where many of his studies had been published in the Journal of Applied Physics, as well as with The Journal of  Electochemical society and Scientific America.

My father could do anything he set his mind to. He made magic happen on every adventure we embarked upon- whether it was hiking in the woods, shooting rockets off in a field or just going to get ice cream. He was always excited to do stuff.

He would take off on a cross country trip on a whim to go visit places like The Badlands in the Dakotas, or travel through Canada just because. He would drive out to CA to visit friends. He drove to CT/NY often to spend time with his friends and family back here. He was always up for an adventure. Never wanting to fly, but driving anywhere to take in all that nature had to been seen.

Although a bit of a recluse as he aged, he was comfortable and enjoyed his solitude. He kept a close circle of friends he trusted and loved. He dabbled in the medical field a bit as an EMT for a couple of years recently as helping people was also an enjoyment of his.

He passed on March 22nd 2018 after a 6 month battle with pancreatic cancer.
His is survived by his brother Wayne, along with Waynes girlfriend Kathleen, his grandchildren Daniel and Morgan, as well as my husband Dave and I.

I would like to mention some very special people who really made a difference for my father. Long time friends of his,  Linda and Jim who live in Maple City were absolute angels with him. They provided a home for him on the mainland so he could be treated weekly by the hospice nurses, and cared for him in every way possible.  If it were not for them, I don’t know what I would’ve done. Thank you Linda & Jim for your unwavering friendship and care for my father in the last months. He was so lucky to have you, as was I.

Also to the nurses and doctors at the Hospice House at Munson Medical Center. You were all truly amazing and treated him like a friend, not a patient. Your daily communication with me, reading him my texts multiple times a day and setting up phone calls so I could speak to him will never be forgotten.

Dad, we will continue your legacy. You will be forever loved and missed by all of us! I love you~ till we meet again.

June 29, 1948 - March 22, 2018
Marie S Powers

Post by Marie S Powers »

Thank you so much Kim for your post pursuant to your Dad. I fondly remember spending hours in conversation with him as we worked together at the marine museum. He was a gem.
Marie Sutherland Powers