Consolidation Update

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Post by islandliving »

On January 10th. Voters that read the forum were informed that township consolidation was on the ballot for a May 8th election. Now it is March 18th.

John McCafferty
James Bakker

Post by James Bakker »

John: Thanks for the date. I must have completely missed March 17th.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Any voters still waiting for facts and meeting dates on township consolidation? Anyone heard anything yet.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

VOTE NO ON TOWNSHIP CONSOLIDATION

JOHN McCafferty
E C

Post by E C »

it is getting a little old makes people want to vote yes
My name is Ed Ukasion.
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Hey, EC . . .

With all due respect, Mr. McCafferty is entitled to his frustration, just as you are entitled to your â??feelings.â?￾

As I wrote earlier, unelected petitioners thrust themselves into the Islandâ??s political arena with effectively zero discussion by placing a proposal on the ballot.

Letâ??s examine what they said on their website.

â??We think that voters should look more closely at what consolidation would involve, and the best way for that to happen is to put the question on the ballot. Some people hope, for instance, that consolidation might lead to a reduction in the cost of local government on the island. But that might not be the case; it would depend on budget decisions by the future township elected officials and on what voters decide about future special-purpose millages. This is just the sort of discussion that could occur in the days before an election.â?￾ (Emphasis added)

They also write on their website . . . â??Then letâ??s have the kind of community discussions that inform and educate voters and answer their questions. Then letâ??s decide what we want.â?￾ (Emphasis added)

Finally, their website states . . . â??This FAQ will be updated as we learn about additional relevant questions. If you have other questions, please e-mail them to lefevream@hotmail.com and we will try to address them.â?￾ (Emphasis added)

On January 22, 2018, I wrote that, â??The failure to provide such information creates an informational void and more responsible parties would have prepared this information before circulating petitions.â?￾ I also wrote that, â??This is far too important to ask the Islandâ??s voters to base their decision(s) on the unsupported claims, idle speculation and conjecture on the Forum.â?￾

The election is 48 days from today and I suspect the township clerks will begin mailing absentee ballots in the next few days. Dare I say that it is in no oneâ??s interest to have uninformed voters cast ballots on this issue.

Rather than chastise Mr. McCafferty, why donâ??t you (and others) ask that the Petitioners live up to the promises they have made to the Islandâ??s constituents?
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

EC/Ed,

Perhaps this explanation below will assist you in understanding what being "mean" is and what being informed is.

TIPS ON BEING INFORMED ON CONSOLIDATON:
You can continue your banter and behavior or you can choose to be informed. I understand you can not attend meetings because of your current "location", but you can still be informed. Below is both sides of the camp on consolidation and the opinions and facts surrounding the issues.

If you are interested in the updates on Consolidation there are two websites available to review. Make sure you look for updates, as that will give you more solid facts and not just speculations.

https://wkohls.wixsite.com/consolidationinfo/

https://lefevream.wixsite.com/beaverislandtownship

I certainly give the voters on Beaver Island more credit than you do. I am certain that their final vote will be based on the facts and how the vote will impact them and the community they love. I don't think it will be based on John asking for information as he was promised. I applaud John for wanting to know when the meeting is, where the numbers and facts are that were promised and him asking for an update.

TIPS ON BEING "MEAN":

Being mean is not disagreeing. We should look at both sides of any situation and should know the facts. Just because someone does not agree with you they are not "mean" as you have said a few times.

At the end of the day we are all neighbors and like it or not we have to all live together on a very small island in the middle of a very big lake. If you can't look your neighbor in the eye and say something then you probably should not be saying it on the forum.

The reality is you are part of the "wagon circle" and when you are asked to behave you just create more noise to try and drown out others. This game has been going on for years on the forum.

Perhaps we should leave the conversations about tough topics to the people who care enough to post their names.

So before you do something silly like cut and paste part of my sentence and "Fill in the blanks" with your own words (I can send you a Mad Libs book if you are tempted) or you start calling me names, or you say I am mean because I don't agree with you maybe you should step forward from behind your curtain.

Below is a great reminder to the forum rules.

See you this summer!

Kathe Meade

Forum Rules: Topics and posts do not necessarily express our views. The point of this forum is to allow everyone to post their thoughts and ideas, talk about Beaver Island and all things related, and have a place to chat with other Beaver Island folks. We do not moderate posts based on whether we agree or disagree with a particular topic.

Everyone is invited and encouraged to post. The rules are:

1.) Please be kind and considerate, and keep the forum constructive.

2.) Please include your name with your post. We value everyone's right to express their views, but in cases where someone else may be negatively impacted by a post or where the lack of a name causes confusion, anonymous posts may be deleted.

3.) Please keep the forum clean and appropriate for any age. Posts which are intended to attack or offend others are not appropriate.
E C

Post by E C »

any one can make up numbers to prove their position it does not make it fact. Being mean is in the mind of the person being attacked not a third party observer. if John spent as much time volunteering or serving on boards like he harasses every one else to do people might respect what he writes on this forum
My name is Ed Ukasion.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Wow "ED" not sure who Ed really is as without a last name that means nothing or if Ed is actually a real person.

For "ED" and anybody else that doesn't know much about John. He has given back to the island, from being the township treasure to watching him haul things for the kids carnival to letting the FBIA use his indoor arena for free to practice our dogs for the 4th of July.

He is a good person and a good neighbor and this is only a small amount of what I know about John McCafferty. Maybe you should find something out about the person you are bad mouthing before you are "mean" and "harassing" them because it is you that is behaving like that John is just demanding question to answers he deserves to know that answers too. His character isn't in question here, he has proven himself and is willing to sign his name to it but not you.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
E C

Post by E C »

I was just making a point do not want a fight and every one should be a good neighbor but is that volunteering or serving.
My name is Ed Ukasion.
E C

Post by E C »

ok John might not be mean but he seems to harass people he disagrees with or do not do what he thinks they should.
My name is Ed Ukasion.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

be·lit·tle
bəˈlidl/Submit
verb
make (someone or something) seem unimportant.

I have been belittled by a fake man or woman EC. What a great fair playground this forum has become.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

any one can make up numbers to prove their position it does not make it fact. Being mean is in the mind of the person being attacked not a third party observer. if John spent as much time volunteering or serving on boards like he harasses every one else to do people might respect what he writes on this forum

Post by E C »

I never said you be little accept when you harass people with no last names
My name is Ed Ukasion.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

47 days till election and still not a single fact to support Township consolidation???

John McCafferty