Correlation to Consolidation

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Correlation to Consolidation

Post by BI Pirate »

Sitting here with sand between my toes and lovely breeze off the Gulf. Weather in the 80's and an abundance of sunshine and tall rum drinks. A bucket full of shells and shark teeth. Thinking of Kathy Richards puts a smile on my face but no proposals down here as of yet. Paradise in the south turns my thoughts to Loss of Paradise on BI.
Yesterday I watched a movie which really hit home on how much BI is like our motherland, Ireland. It is the story of Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness, two Irishman who deeply loved their country but in different ways for different reasons and therefore grew to hate and not trust one another. If those names are not familiar than you might not be Irish or know where I'm going with this story.
The movie is "The Journey", (2017), recent release and 90% of it is dialog that takes place between these two men in the back of an SUV driving from St. Andrews to Edinburgh to catch a flight back to Belfast. Take time to rent the movie or have the BIC get it for the island's viewing before public meetings commence on consolidation.
In the mean time, keep talking, stay warm and my hope is that others will see a Correlation to Consolidation that I did and as depicted by the movie.
Still a fake name, bully, coward, aka/Dan as mentioned previously but enjoying life. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Pirate, you should have a look at the Website created by Bill Kohls and Jack Gallagher. Sounds like you got lots of time to read down tharrr.

John McCafferty
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

John, Read it when Bill first posted it. Very well done by both gentlemen. Number wonks will love it. I'm no genius but for anyone living on Beaver Island it didn't tell us anything we don't already know, just put more quantitative detail to it. We've all known that there is a tax levy disparity between the townships. I still stand by my premise that consolidation is not simply a money issue but goes far beyond money to emotions and an individual's logical reasoning.
The upside of this issue is that consolidation has been discussed for years and after all was said and done, more was said than done. Thanks to the petitioners who have it on the ballot, voters will now have a chance for a "done" regardless of the vote's outcome. Voters will have a chance to determine if they want to move forward with a unified island or continue with the differences and perceived inequities of shared resources of the past.
Either way, either outcome, it will still be worth a 3 beer discussion at the Shamrock/Beachcomber and I'm up with that. :D :D :D
(Fake name but not a fake post)
Skull&CrossBones
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

BI (DON) prior posts:
"Please don't confuse me for someone who gives a mermaid's flipper whether there is a consolidation or not.
Please do not mistake my sarcastic humor on the consolidation issue or any other issue as my taking sides."
Then he says "(Fake name but not a fake post)"

Apparently FAKE everything - you say one thing then you say another thing whatever fits your purpose at that moment. You are just trying to manipulate people. I personally was raised that doing such a thing shows a dishonest person but then again anyone that will not post their name isn't trustworthy in my opinion.

Mean what you say and say what you mean and sign your own name if you want to have an open honest discussion on the issue.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I donâ??t recall a lot of discussion on consolidation being discussed in my time on the Island. Probably was kept quiet just like this last attempt.

John McCafferty.
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Hey, Pirate . . .

Judging by the numerous posts on this subject, there was little understanding or appreciation of the impact that consolidation would have on the taxes paid by Peaine property owners. (Perhaps you could direct me to the posts that displayed a clear understanding of the tax impact.)

My statements were challenged, and I was asked to provide facts. With Jack Gallagherâ??s assistance, I have done so, but now I learn that you could have set them straight by merely stating, â??We've all known that there is a tax levy disparity between the townships.â?￾

You may, in fact, be correct that, â??consolidation is not simply a money issue but goes far beyond money to emotions and an individual's logical reasoning.â?￾ Certainly, John McCafferty and others (who share their identity on their posts) believe there is more than money at stake. Perhaps we could have that discussion now that Jack and I have taken the money issue off the table, but nobody has provided a coherent argument for consolidation.

Oh, as clever as you are, you may have overlooked this . . .

You assert that the impact of consolidation on property taxes is widely known, but the petitionersâ?? website only discusses voter approved millage; not the taxes actually levied.

Why didnâ??t they address this issue? Did they simply over look such a fundamental consideration? Have they overlooked other considerations?
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Andy, I assume your reply to me is not a proposal of marriage. You are a sharp lady and I would considerate a proposal but will not hold my breath. May I remind you that you and Kathe dubbed me as aka/Don, I kind of like it, it gives me a name. As far coward, bully, fake name, dishonest, fake everything I can't deny it but I can live with it. Tug and Dinghy love me with all my faults. As far as pirates go, one would have to be crazy to trust one, me as a pirate included. You were raised well. If I could manipulate people I would not have to plunder and pillage to get by in life. As far as not giving a mermaid's flipper about the consolidation I stand by that because life on Whiskey Island for an aging pirate will be good regardless of what happens on Beaver. As far as meaning what I say and saying what I mean, I do. I try to offer a little levity to the forum and never hope to ever have an honest discussion on any issue. Never take anything I say seriously. My hope is to keep people who lose sight of what's important in life from falling over the cliff of debate.
Please re-read my response to John above and identify where I tried to influence anyone to take either side of the consolidation issue. I was only stating what is obvious to an aging one eyed pirate.
:D 8) :D
Last edited by BI Pirate on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hell Bill, As Andy says I can't even speak for myself. How can you expect me to speak for the petitioners? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

No bias here . . . Voters will have a chance to determine if they want to move forward with a unified island or continue with the differences and perceived inequities of shared resources of the past.

A serious buccaneer would at least tell us why he believes that consolidation would result in unity.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

It's not rocket science so I am sure most people can grasp the concept. One island, two townships with differences perceived and/or real. One township and everyone is in the same boat to solve common problems moving forward recognizing no guarantee that everyone will get along. At least it is one township focusing on what is best for the entire island and not for one or another township. If voters want one township they should vote for one, if they want two townships they should vote for two. It's not anymore complicated than that. :| :| :|
Skull&CrossBones
Wkohls

Somebody call a doctor

Post by Wkohls »

OK . . . youâ??re right . . . we shouldnâ??t take seriously anything that you say! (Sorry that I doubted you.)

I donâ??t mean to be condescending (since you are so much better at it than I am) but . . . you attribute the division on this Island to the townships? (What color are the sunsets in your world?)

Ron Wojan is much closer to the truth . . . â??too much power in the hands of a fewâ?￾ and â??if you think politics are bad now just wait until St. James and Peaine voters are trying to get on a smaller board to maintain representation for what they consider is in their best interest.â?￾

As it is, the townships can agree to work together when appropriate and can go their own way when itâ??s not appropriate. I also think a little competition is a good thing.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Hey BI pirate...

How about you say that in person????

Kathe Meade
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Bill, In my world sunsets are always red with a parrot on my shoulder and a rum drink in my hand. Just thought I would add that as I'm headed for the Keys in a couple of days where we celebrate every sunset with a toast. Is the island divided on many things, damn right. Is it solely because of two township, hell no.
Ron built my house and I would never disagree with him anything except maybe golf. "Too much power in the hands of a few", is never good. That's rich. I would hope in a world where sunsets will always be red, power remains in the hands of the voters and not in the hands of our elected servants.

Kathe, You just tire me out with your continuous rants about me being a conspirator of sorts. Get over it. Get over me. Give me a break. I'm fake! I'm not made of sticks or stones, my words will never hurt you. You are reading too much into my posts. Get a life and spend more quality time with the meadefamily. I would say, "I love you", on this Valentine's Day, but you know I'd be faking it. :lol: :wink: :lol:

As a disclaimer, I hope that this post poses no threat to anyone's thinking.
Skull&CrossBones
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

How about you say that in person?

\:D/
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Kathe, You would tire the Energizer Bunny out. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones