ST JAMES TWP - RESIDENT MEMBER OF COORDINATING COMMITTEE

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

St. James Township

ST JAMES TWP - RESIDENT MEMBER OF COORDINATING COMMITTEE

Post by St. James Township »

On January 10, 2018 Charlevoix County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution approving a proposition to consolidate Peaine Township and St James Township as the Township of Beaver Island with certain millage rates. On January 22, 2018 the St James Township board unanimously passed a resolution to have voters elect one resident member to the consolidation coordinating committee.

According to state law, a resident member of a coordinating committee shall be a registered elector of the township that the member represents. An elected or appointed township officer or employee is not eligible to be a resident member of a coordinating committee. Candidates who desire to place their names on the ballot to be a resident member of the coordinating committee shall file with the St James township clerk on or before February 7, 2018 a "qualifying petition" which can be picked up and dropped off at the clerkâ??s office in the Governmental Center at 37830 Kingâ??s Highway during regular business hours.

St James Township Board as a whole will seek to remain neutral in the discussion of the proposition and will seek to provide information which voters request in a timely manner. The St James Township Board is committed to providing factual information to island residents and welcomes input on how, where and when this can be accomplished. A township consolidation proposition tab has been added to the townshipâ??s homepage www.stjamestwp.org under News and Announcements to post relevant information. The township supervisor will be the townshipâ??s contact person for inquiries and/or requests for information.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I commend Kitty and Jeff for remaining neutral, to the facts and not their personal opinions on the Consolidation. I would recommend that Bill Kohls and Peaine Township do the same and keep to the facts, not personal bias.
Kirk
Liam Shan Ballymore

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

I hope that finding a resident elector of the Township that is not an elected or appointed Township officer, or an employee is not too difficult in itself, but maybe somebody will step up.
Are fireman, EMTs, school employees, Election Commissions, or Board of Review members eligible?
Good luck!
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I don't see anyone who might be in disagreement with Kitty or Jeff or the rest of the St. James. Township board for remaining silent telling them what the "need" to do or what they "can't " do or "recommend " that they change there decision. But Mr. Kohls continues to get hammered because he chooses to speak up and look out for the taxpayers, voters, and residents of his Township. I just think this is wrong. It is great to commend people for doing a good job on a public forum. But I think it is down right mean to cut them down in anyway on a public forum. Take that up personally, one on one , face to face.it is one thing to say you disagree. That should be the end.

John McCafferty