Following the Feb 4th v.92 upgrade, is your Island dialup...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Following the Feb 4 v.92 upgrade, is your Island dialup...

faster and more reliable
No votes
faster and equally reliable
50%
faster but less reliable
No votes
the same - no change
50%
slower but more reliable
No votes
slower and equally reliable
No votes
slower and less reliable
No votes

Total votes: 2

Jeff

Following the Feb 4th v.92 upgrade, is your Island dialup...

Post by Jeff »

On February 4th, following complaints from a few folks that were having disconnect problems, Transworld (GLE's new partner in providing dialup service) came to the Island and changed the equipment from v.90 to a cisco router/v.92 dialup combo. However, following the change I've heard some who had no problems before now have either a slower connection or a less stable connection.

I'm lucky as my US Robotics external modem (5686) seems to maintain the same connection now as before, and I think it's only internal winmodems and some notebook modems which are having problems, but I'm very curious how widespread the problems are.

If your connection is slower or less reliable, it would be interesting to hear what modem you have too.

(note: to vote on a poll you need to register if you haven't already and then login with the username/password you created. Register and Login links are at the top and bottom of the page. Please also post a reply below.)
Nich

modem

Post by Nich »

I'm using a v.92 "Broadxent" fax modem. Still connecting at 48. No change that I've noticed. I haven't checked it from my laptops yet. If there's any changes, I'll e-you.
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net
Joy

gtlakes

Post by Joy »

Jeff, I had the same problem connecting with gtlakes. Mike and I spent two hours with GL support before resolving the problem. Their support number is 1-888-873-9212. They talked us through the problem.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks very much for the update Joy. And Ted.

While I'm sure two hours on the phone with tech support won't be the highlight of your week, I'm very happy to hear that the problem was solved. I was getting concerned hearing two negative tech support experiences in a row at Sunday's open house.

Now the only two I know of who have a worse connection now than before are a freind with a new (one month old) Dell Inspiron notebook which uses a BCM softmodem (now limited to 31.2 while they had almost 50 before; tech support did give them an init string so at least they can connect, but only at the slower speed) and one with a Mac.
Frank

internet hookup

Post by Frank »

Since the "upgrade" I can no longer log on with either my v.90 or v.92 internal modem, but have had to drop down to the v.34. My normal hookup speed has been reduced to 28800 bps with an occassional "boost" to 31000. Before I was at 48000, sometimes 50000. GTL support said they "were working on it" and should soon have this resolved. I'm not holding my breath. All of this is through my Mac G4 PowerBook. That's the story here.
Nich

To Frank

Post by Nich »

Hey Frank,
what's your email address? Send to me privately if you want, or call me. I'd like to see if I can switch you over to Remote Access on your G4. It may help.
Ted
nicholas@gtlakes.com
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net