$52,834 per pupil

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

$52,834 per pupil

Post by AEW »

Beaver Island Community School, with General Fund only Expenditures of $2,113,361, (for apx 40 students) places 59 in terms of total expenditures for fiscal year 2016. Spending $52,834 per pupil ranks Beaver Island Community School 1 in terms Expenditures per Pupil which is $37,760 more than the Region average of $15,074.

https://www.munetrix.com/sections/chart ... e=District
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Washington Island, Wisconsin. 1.5 million budget. 68 students, TOTAL STAFF: 10 teachers, 2 assistants and 1 janitor.
Costs per student. $22,058.00
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Mackinac Island School. 1.9 million. 80 students, TOTAL staff 1 Principal, 9 teachers, 1 secretary and 1 janitor. Cost per student $23,750.
AE Wirth
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I've got an idea :idea: Give each student the $52,834 and let them go directly to college :!: No student loans 8) Don't let Betsy DeVos hear that figure of $52k or the school will be privatized for profit faster than you can drop a main sail. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Are there no auditing measures, outside the district itself, that monitors student/expenditure ratios?
Is there no State or Federal agency (assuming Fed dollars are involved) mechanisms that detect potential red flag situations?

If not, I don't get it. My own private business has been flagged for audit three times (state and federal) in the past decade. I have never owed more than $400 in adjustments, however, I had to spend $$ thousands $$ on CPA costs to "prove" my compliance.

Perhaps it's about time for the Government to turn a probing eye on its' own agencies, instead of those who have to pay for it.
Just ranting here.... :x
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
ian

Post by ian »

Sir,
That $52,000 is a large number. That number is that high due to the low enrollment. The state mandates school districts to offer certain courses that need highly qualified teachers with certain certifications.
In order to reduce that number the island needs to attract more students and families. More students would create more state aid and reduce the burden of local revenues. I know that is a huge issue and hard to solve. On the bright side I am sure BICS is doing a good job and teacher/student ratio makes every district envious. I thinks the school is doing a good job and offers many programs you would see in larger districts[/b]
ExIsle

$52,834 per pupil

Post by ExIsle »

Given the "Region average of $15,074" and given the regular air fare cost of the airlines, then are we not beyond the point where it is more cost effective to just fly the students to the mainland? Perhaps air transportation services could be put out for bid to lower costs and costs could be lowered even further by distance learning technologies with fewer trips to the mainland?

Maybe a few planes could be painted yellow and they could be referred to as an "airbuses"? :lol: .
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Recently, I have been told by the new Principal/Superintendent that a new school teacher on the island would make $38,000. I am not sure where the student ratio math, teacher costs, benefits, and the school enhancements meet. I do not have enough information to make a decision. However, consider that if we not longer have an attractive school-academically and physically-we will no longer look attractive to another young family looking for a small community experience with low pupil to teacher ratios. We need young families to sustain this island. It sounds like a good question to bring before the publicly elected school board. I do agree that cost effectiveness when appropriate should be considered in decision making.

I'm certain that the State of Michigan appreciated the value of the Dominican Sisters educating islanders in a public school for the stipend of $36.00/head. Thank heaven that parents were involved in the community to supplement their income with housing, wood for heat, milk, meat, and potatoes. I'm not sure that model would work today, let alone that they required parents to attend classes at night to help their families understand new math and such. Don't blame the good Sisters on my deficiencies. :D
McGrass
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Pam is right on target with her suggestion of reviewing where the school is with its numbers and ratios. Looking at the link Adam provided, the student population is 40, down 17 (30%) from the previous year. If $38,000 is the beginning salary what is the top end salary for BICS teachers (public information)? Ask for salary disclosure at the next meeting and if resisted, simply FOIA it. Another interesting number to look at is the new going rate for cleaning at $25/hr which at full time and I know it's not but for example at full time it would be $52,000. That ratio will make it hard to attract a $38,000 teacher who will stay for any length of time in an over priced economy.
Focus on creating an economy that brings people to the Island, that will bring jobs, jobs will bring people to live here and people moving here will bring students for the school, not the other way around.
I think the Island has far larger systemic problems than the school. But I don't think the problems are so great that they can not be over come.
Kirk
James K Otis

Post by James K Otis »

"As the host for the summit, the community of Beaver Island was on display. Attendees were treated to tours of its infrastructure, history and culture, and natural resources. The beautiful library that was funded by the owner of the Lands End clothing brand, the school where the starting wage for teachers is about $85,000 a year, and the car ferry operated by the local transportation authority (it takes about 2.5 hours to travel from Charlevoix) were highlights of the tours. Participants asked questions and compared Beaver Island to their communities."

Taken from the Mackinaw Island Town Crier describing the visit to the Island Summit.

Interesting that Mackinaw Manages to run their school on 7.8 Mills, almost 8 mills less a considerable difference.

One can view the island school budgets on this link

https://www.munetrix.com/Michigan/Schoo ... ity-School
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

That does it :mrgreen: No more pirating, giving up my dental practice, not going to clean part time at $25. I'm going to start teaching at $85,000 :roll: :shock: :o
Someday, someone ought to ask me why my sailing buddy, Gary C. Comer, who extended the airport runway, paid for a beautiful library, was very generous to the island, had a beautiful home on the west side and then suddenly up and left the island. That's a story for a couple of tall rum drinks. :( :( :(
It appears to still be a problem. :oops: :cry: :oops:
Last edited by BI Pirate on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skull&CrossBones
Eric Naranjo

school issues

Post by Eric Naranjo »

I remember when we first toured the school in 2011. My wife, youngest daughter and grandchildren. It was apparent to all of us that something was not quite right. Aside from the unwelcoming feelings we received we continued to run into personal roadblocks that we felt were unnecessary. We tried on several levels to work out a solution that would allow our grandchildren to get the education we feel they deserve. Eventually we did the right thing! We opted to home school our grandchildren and at the same time give the school board and company some time to work out some of their biggest problems. That was 4 years ago. It was difficult for my wife at first. Now she is enjoying the rewards of seeing her students overcome various obstacles that come with learning. This has been extremely rewarding for her, the kids and for myself as well. The average cost for our curriculum is around $2100.00 a year for 3 students. If we add in another $500.00 for materials and utilities we are still looking at less than $900.00 per child every year. The children are studying 8 subjects per pupil this year (not common core). They save 1 hour of transport time every day (to and from school). Rarely do they spend more than 5 hours a day in class. Recess, snack time and pajama days are not recognized here so there is more time for the kids to do lessons and go on with their daily routines. Often the kids are able to help us out with our daily activities. This gives us an opportunity to demonstrate how a family business is maintained.

I tell you these things not only because I am proud of what our family has accomplished, but also because I want others to know that they have alternatives. I think people should understand that Beaver Island is not at the mercy of the "public school". Also, Pam stated that "However, consider that if we not longer have an attractive school -academically and physically- we will no longer look attractive to another young family looking for a small community experience with low pupil to teacher ratios." I agree Pam, we figured it out right away.
I would like to close by saying that anyone who is thinking of coming to this island needs to know that 1. There is work here if you want to work. 2. If you need medical attention while you are here you can get it whether it is a minor need or a major need you will be taken care of. 3. Your children can receive a 1st class education here in spite of any current drama you may be hearing about. 4. Some of the best food in the world is grown here or is imported here 300 and some days a year. 5. The air quality is top notch and therapeutic as well. 6. If you are a hard worker other hard working people will not let you fail.(in times of good economics or bad) 7. This island offers an exclusive opportunity for anyone to get in touch with the Creator.... I almost have to think that is why we are here to begin with. E. 8)
AEW

Post by AEW »

No one there makes $38,000 Pam. These are some of the highlights from the attached 2016 amended budget.

Elementary
Croswhite $132,575
Middleton $70,677
Robert $112,691
Cull $47,505

Middle school/High school
Boyle $121,636
Groesbeck $84,807
Kohne $64,315
Marvin $68,384
Richards $98,286,
Wiser $66,521

https://www.munetrix.com/app_assets/doc ... 2-3919.pdf
AE Wirth
Richards

Post by Richards »

Eric, thank you for the positive thoughts about the island. I wholeheartedly agree with your bullet-point summary of the opportunities and beauty that this island offers to those who are looking for it.

Many of the thoughts on the school situation are misguided. I am sorry, but the reality is, the school teachers are not overpaid on BI. I am the wife of a teacher, and I know from personal experience. When we moved here in 2009, my husband, Adam Richards took a $10,000 pay cut. We left our extended families and community of support down in Grand Rapids, to move to an island where we knew no one, and were on our own. The cost of moving here was over $5,000. A year later, I was pregnant. At that time, our family was eligible for Medicaid. Hmmmâ?¦ a state employee, with a Masters degreeâ?¦ eligible for Medicaid? Is there something wrong with this picture?

AEW, I am sorry, but your numbers are incorrect and misleading. Three of the teachers you listed previously are not on the island this year. I wonder why?

Try this personal experience out for size. In 2012, the state passed a law that required teachers to make a choice for their retirement health care (for Adamâ??s retirement we are talking 2040ish). Adam had to go online and answer pages of very vague questions about whether he would like health care coverage when he retires. Of course, he does. Who wouldnâ??t? A month later, our family faced a loss of over $230 a month being withheld from my husbandâ??s paycheck. I was distraught, called the ISD, called the MI Department of Education, only to find out that Adamâ??s choice was irrevocable for the rest of his teaching career. The system withholds 10% of his paycheck for retirement health careâ?¦ to this day. Do you think we will see one penny of that? Also, when Adam retires, he will still have insurance deductibles to pay, and other insurance contributions which have been undefined. Pretty lucky, huh?

Our family is very grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on Beaver Island. Thankful for our school, thankful for the caring people we meet on the street every day. We, as islanders, share a passion. This passion far outweighs the struggles of year-round living on Beaver Island. It does cost more to live here. Beaver Island is the most remote inhabited island in the Great Lakes. We love it. Please join us in building up our community instead of tearing it down.