Parallels to American Opinion Sharing

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Parallels to American Opinion Sharing

Post by JFPowers »

Although Ken is a liberal and may take offense to this parallel, these recent forum discussions remind me of our national political climate. One party (Trump) says things that strike chords with many folks and at times he is outspoken or controversial in the statements. The other camp (Predominant media) badger the responses and mark the outspoken party CRAZY although much of what he says is in line with a lot of silent folks..... aka the election from last November. Just an observation and it is likely that many that are silent agree with Mr Taylor.
The attached link shows how many americans today are afraid to express their opinions

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-ameri ... ve-58-have
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I would say that many more disagree.

John McCafferty
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

MSNBC Morning Joe called Trumps campaign "dead" many times. They laughed and laughed that any one agreed with him.

How did that turn out?
backwoodsbuccaneer

Post by backwoodsbuccaneer »

Gonna have to agree with OP. This island has had many nepotistic practices for years, and trying to drown out Mr. Taylor who is trying to improve the system only proves the problem all the more. He is not always the most diplomatic, but this has been a frustrating long winded conflict that some seem to wish to badger him for because of their own interests.

It is one thing to protect your family. It is another thing to not acknowledge when they are being immoral or committing societal wrongs because it suits your own narrative. We are seeing this very behavior in presidential office right now, which is very upsetting, and easy to draw similar parallels to in our own community.

There are people over the years who would have been better suited to certain board positions because of their wealth of knowledge and experience, but because these people aren't islanders that are related to certain people they are frequently dismissed. Sometimes even attacked by members of the community. Dr. White is one in a long list of educated women especially that have been harassed and near railroaded off the island which speaks to the social environment here not just for non islanders but for women in general.

There are many wonderful people in this community, and humanity on a whole is not, nor ever will be perfect, but damn if we don't have to try.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Are you the neighbor Mr. Rogers would want you to be."

Edward Teach
*revs trolling motor*
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hey Doc,
Excellent post. I opened your attachment and must say that 51% of me agrees with the surveys but the other 51% of me isn't sure. Might just be I'm not good with numbers because I know I've got a stink'n opinion on everything else. Another opinion is that there is nothing more powerful than the silent majority when they speak out. Another question I've never solved is if the silent minority screams in the woods and no one is there, where does the bear poop?
Just thought we might need a little levity with all the heated discussions.
Last edited by BI Pirate on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Skull&CrossBones
BradG

Post by BradG »

I love the forum. Free speech and differing opinions make for an interesting island. I wish all the energy generated more light and less heat though. We have problems to solve and perhaps joining the townships and regaining control of the shared entities is a place to start. The Council on Aging came over Monday and Amy Wieland, the new director and Sheri Shepard really seemed to listen and want to help. It was very encouraging.

Brad
lach

Post by lach »

Wow, I was just asking a simple question to Ken, from his previous post , I certainly got a direct answer from him, was hoping for a maybe,less hostile response, but maybe his answer is correct, so Iâ??d like to ask again to anyone that can reply, (just wondering, how does one become part of the Board of Directors of the BIRH )
BradG

Post by BradG »

When I was on the board the existing members, usually the chair and another member would invite someone to be a new board member after a brief interview. That person would then be voted on by the board. One could certainly ask to be on the board, but the existing board would have to vote that person in. Two of the board members are appointed by their township boards to be representatives. At one time I believe there were as many as 12-15 possible positions, but I believe that has been reduced to the current number. I believe the terms vary between one and three years so all of the board doesn't turn over at the same time and there was a limit of two sequential terms. So the board is essentially self appointed except for the two township members. If I'm in error please someone from the health center correct me.

Brad
lach

Post by lach »

Thanks Brad and Ken for your response