One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Ken, I'm sure your generosity in appreciated in all who receive it. I just think calling people arrogant and stating that they believe that their s---- don't stink is a little harsh. If you are going to call someone a name like arrogant then name them so the public does not try to guess who you are talking about. Or keep it to yourself and contact the arrogant ones who think that there s---- doesn't stink directly and keep it off a public forum.

John McCafferty.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Similar to Darby Campbell calling someone he doesn't know "evil"
duffer

Clique

Post by duffer »

Any one ever try to get a job here? As someone who has put in the time on the island been a positive impact along with my son knows it does not matter if you got management skills a great Track record for working for big corporations, that means nothing on this island. I post very little on this forum because I know it makes little difference, but we go out of our ways here to hire totally unqualified folk over very qualified, explain those reasons????
duffy
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Much better Ken, I still assume you,are calling the whole board that since you do not seem to want to mention anyone in particular. I have had some fun with this for the last few days but this will be my last post. Anyone who can put people down, call them incompetent , non performing and the best "rabid chauvinist pigs" is a person not trying to help but only cause trouble. Concerns should be dealt with in a more civil manner in my opinion. I wonder how many people of the 17,782 views could be potential tourist or potential retires, new property owners, new residents ect. In my opinion this thread along with others could be a hurt to the Island, the place we all call paridise. Some kind of fighting seems to be going on constantly on this Island. Why would anyone reading these ridiculous post want to come here. There is no togetherness on many things that would make the island grow and progress. Half our Island is for sale, or school is at a very low student count, taxes are extremely high. I would look at this last thread as others from the outside and think why would I want to move there or visit. People are slamming people publicly, name calling ect. We all have a say and will all never agree but I believe the Island as a whole is floundering the worst that I have seen in my lifetime. I am as frustrated with this Island and its politics more now than I have ever been. I also believe these kind of postings frustrate many Island residents as well. My suggestion to anyone is keep all this political crap off the forum, especially the negative stuff. If you want to tell someone they are horrible at their job, that they are incompetent , that they are not performing well, or if you want to call them a rabid chauvinistic pig, just get some balls and tell them to their face and not on a public site where thousands of people are reading. Again I do believe these kind of threads are hurting our Island and not helping.

John McCafferty only not his "evil sister"
mbj

Hurting the Island Reputation

Post by mbj »

You are right in saying this nasty name-calling hurts the Island. We have friends who like to visit, and they read the beaverbeacon.com news for information about what is going on. Why don't you guys all just email each other instead of this "small mindedness" that all can see?
We are summer cottage owners who have to rent our property in order to afford to have the small place (which we inherited) because the taxes are so high. Renting out helps us to just break even and then spend the month of September up here ourselves. While getting groceries I overheard a man saying loudly "It sure is nice that the damn summer folks are gone and we have our place to ourselves again." I have a feeling that those "damn summer folks" may be your "bread and butter". I overheard some malicious gossip in Island Treasures as well. Our taxes go to support services for you that we don't take advantage of. We don't begrudge that. We love the place but hesitate to get involved with anything when we feel we are just "damn summer folks".
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Mbj I am in total agreement with you on your post. Let's start a new topic and get off this Ken Taylor one. Name it what you want.
Blacksmith Apprentice

Dentist

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

Wow, I am surprised at the level of controversy about the dentist.

Bob Yager (new property owner in 2017)
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Let's close out this discussion with a sensible thought. There have been many comments made and hundreds and hundreds of views of this thread. What is and has been missing in this community is the defiance of electeds and appointeds in being responsible to the CONSTITUENCY! They do not own their positions nor their facilities. They belong to the taxpayer and they should have precedence above all! Mr. Taylor is well known for speaking his mind, thank God, and I think he would have stopped if the answers were, and some have been, provided. This is not about him and it's not about them, IT IS ABOUT US! ALL OF US! Because you don't like to have to respond or be responsible is not an excuse. Mr. Taylor has donated untold sums of money to the medical center and many other island entities, more than most people I know. Let's resolve to be more caring about the community and not just ones self or self interest. Let's not use our public positions to gain victory in a vendetta over others, this is what happened to Wendy. I speak from my own experience, it's no fun! Peace and God Bless America!
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Dear John or Tracey (islandliving) which ever one is reading this,
My reference to "evil" was rhetoric and not targeted as hurtful. As in literature where one being is conflicted with having a good side and an evil side and not knowing which one will come out. That is how some of your posts came across to me, confusing. I meant no harm or insult.
Longtime viewer, first time poster as of late.

DC
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great idea Ken. Should everyone announce to the world how much they are sending Doctor White as you did? Would that be appropriate?? Maybe all doners should broadcast their contributions to the center on the forum as did you so everyone knows without any research. Just like all the useful information you have provided the public up until now. I'm sure everyone would agree with me that all of your post are very educational and useful knowledge for everyone ?? Thank you again. Wasn't going to post again but I haven't seen all the thank you posts I feel you deserve.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I am not interested at all. But it seems you are letting everyone know of a lot of your contributions. Now we all know of Holy Cross. Thanks again. Anyone with me on this?
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

The only thing that offends me is the way you are attacking hard working people and calling them obscene names and putting them down on a public forum from hundreds of miles away. So easy to do. Also in response to one of your earlier post, Going to the dentist scares the s-- t out of me also.

John McCafferty.
BradG

Post by BradG »

I think it's time that the townships and by extension, the tax payers, have more input into how the shared entities like the health center, airport, transfer station ( which I think is great ), library (also ) and fire/EMS ( great job) are run beyond a single board member from each township who often have a conflict of interest. It's time to join the townships and hire professional management to deal with our challenges like aging in place, declining school enrollment and advancing our economy by marketing our paradise more effectively. Let's talk about this.

Brad
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

It is great to know we have a great transfer station, library, and fire department Brad. No pats on the back for the health center and the airport?? So as for the EMS?? Should we pull a Ken Taylor and let the taxpayers know that the EMS director wrecked my vehicle while on the clock, clearly being negligent and the whole situation caused unaware taxpayers money. It is sad to think we don't have smart enough people on to township boards to figure out the problems the Island is facing. Now we need professional management to take over. More taxpayers money spent. As a fourth generation island resident it is getting to the point where it is almost embarrassing to live here. As I stressed earlier all these bullcrap post on this forum are doing nothing but hurting our so called paradise

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I will start flying a new banner around town. BEAVER ISLAND FUTURE!! No relatives to serve on any BEAVER BOARD!! If you are in anyway related one of you must sit there like a BUMP ON A LOG!! TOGETHER WE CAN FIX BEAVER ISLAND. Not as relatives but as PROFESSIONALS!!!!!!

Could someone here print this for me?

John McCafferty
John McCafferty
John Mc Cafferty