One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Thank you Ron and Kathy, both of you have said what I have thought so often. I have no problem with anyone voicing their opinion but being respectful is huge!! We can resolve any issue if we are willing to talk and the approach that has been being taken in the past on this forum isn't working! Although the few that volunteer, on boards or on committees may not always do what we would like them too.....I believe they are doing their best and if we do not feel that they are then maybe it is our time to step up and take a position and give or ourselves.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Thank you Ron. I applaud you for standing up for your family. I promise I have not given up. I do hope Kirk calls me. I would like to share with him the perspective of why things may have happened the way they did from a contractual and business perspective. Debating it here with him is difficult because the wagons circle, the fakes start creating drama and the message is lost.

I really hope the comments and request from others to be respectful to others does not fall on deaf ears. I am looking forward to coming back to the island this summer. I miss it! I will be sure to seek you out. You did work for us years back when a storm took out the roof of our garage down on lake G. I really hope you and Vince can have a meeting this summer about ideas to grow the island. The ideas were terrific!

Andy...as always =D>
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

This has turned into an interesting tread.

Let me see if I got this right. Just pick an issue, it doesn't even have to be this one.

IF someone or in this case a couple of people, bring to light an issue...

THEN:

IF you don't like the way they delivered their message.
IF you don't like the tone of their message.
IF they name names and you're related.
IF someone comments that you think is fake.
IF you don't think their ownership status doesn't meets your criteria.
IF you've had other negative contract with the author.
...and the list of IF's goes on and on.

THEN

You have the right to disregard the topic and attack the author.

So this is how we solve issues on a forum. Seems to work because we keep doing it.

I fully expect a response from three members (and recently a fourth) Some of you are too predictable. But then again that's the beauty of a forum.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

As the Irish say Mr. Pike â??BRILLIANT DEDUCTION â??

HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!!!

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thank you Ron for your eloquent response. TWO sides to every story!!! Why would the BIRHC offer $1.00 for the dental equipment.....hmmmmm...I wonder??? Not knowing the facts, my first thought would be, what was wrong with the equipment, that the health center didn't want it?? Was it outdated, was it not worth the asking price? I wonder..

And Andy thank you for pointing out all of the hard work done by the health center board....on the islands behalf!! Of course Kathy, I always appreciate your thoughtful posts!!

KA Pike, your list of "IF's". Contain many broken rules, from this forum. Must give your name, be kind Ect....I think that many people don't follow these rules, but the admin agrees with them so they are overlooked...very unfortunate.

Have a wonderful day!! Tracey
E C

Post by E C »

K.D.: Your are right on target. Two down (John,Tracey) two to go (Kathe, Andy)

EC Anonymous
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Another rule breaker joins in.

John McCafferty
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

As for the value of the dental equipment and the $1 offer, I will clarify the nonsense in that offer.

One item in the mix is this autoclave that was recently fully reconditioned.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162944314397?chn=ps&dispItem=1

So I think the nonsense regarding the $1 offer should be put to rest.

As for the work to get new equipment? I made contacts to link the BIRHC board representative on the dental committee to the President of Dental Clinics North to aid in the procurement of new equipment. I was trying to facilitate the existing contacts that were ongoing with others at Dental Clinics North at the time.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

It all should be put to rest. If the board chose not to purchase the equipment I think that was their decision and not anybody elseâ??s.

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Kraig,

You seemed very confused. I will extend the offer to you as well. If you would like to discuss I would be more than happy to have a conversation with you either on the phone or in person.

I am not interested in bantering back and forth.

Kathe
517-414-4433
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

I believe I am one of a few who was with Dr. White from the beginning of her dental practice on BI to the end. A practice that began with fire and ended in flames. At the beginning, an adversarial relationship was established by Joe Reed and Don Spencer. At the end, it was dissolved with disrespectful and undignified letter from the current BIRHC board. There are not two sides to any controversy but there are three, your side, my side and the truth somewhere in the middle. Unless you are willing to hear my side and I yours, the truth may never be established. One of Dr. White's best qualities, among many, is she is her own strong woman and there are many who still find that difficult to accept. As with any strong personal characteristics comes the possibility leading to controversy in opinions. I do recognize this fact and the possibility that no one remained faultless in this relationship.
I believe that Ken Taylor originally printed Connie's letter to Dr. White's attorney to establish the fact that the letter existed and not BI's or BIRHC's finest moment which then lead to a 14 page discussion on this Forum. I bumped it up because I was challenged and continue to be, that I wasn't dealing in fact. My whole point has been that regardless of what transpired through out Dr. White's tenure, the letter was insensitive, rude and disrespectful. Again, not the BIRHC's finest moment. Please go back to page 1, of this thread and read Connie's letter. While reading it please keep in mind that Dr. White had established her departure date for personal economic reasons but requested an extension as a result of the tragic accidental death of her brother while far from family. I believe the most inappropriate phrase in that letter was that there would be no further extensions beyond October 7th, "including death in the family or illness". A compassionate board and president would have started the letter with condolences for your recent loss and your extension has been granted based on the following details..... I say for "your" recent loss because the letter was addressed to Dr. White through her attorney who is also her brother and therefore suffered the loss of the same brother as Dr. White. Shame on anyone reading this who doesn't see the lack of compassion in such a letter. And if you don't, may a loving God have mercy on your soul because I sure as hell don't.
Ron -
You in the post above publically called me out as a "vulture" in an attempt to intimidate to no longer post "my side" of the controversy.
You now have my response to that threat. If you want to have a debate on this subject or any other, bring it! I only ask that you spell my name correctly.
Kirk D. McBride
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I believe most know the truth and the flames are dying. God bless and Happy St. Patrickâ??s Day to all.

John McCafferty
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Kirk, Sorry about the misspelling of your name. That was not my intentional. Slip of the keys. I do appreciate that you acknowledged that there are more than one side to a story. â??The possibility that no one remained faultless in this relationshipâ?￾ per your post. Thank you for that. But I take exception to your suggestion that I was trying to intimidate you to no longer post your side of the controversy. I specifically told told you that you are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with that. But arenâ??t you the pot calling the kettle black , after your last post to Kathe Meade? Also, I have no interest in a â??bring it onâ?￾ conversation with you on the internet. Letâ??s do that this summer over a couple cups of coffee. I did post, some time back, that I would not get down in the mud on this forum and I broke my own rule with the vulture comment. So I do apologize for that. I do not think you are a vulture. I was upset about this constant mention of Connie Wojanâ??s letter. You know (us) Wojanâ??s are proud people and that letter was from the BIRHC board and as president , Connie, was delivering that on behalf of the board. Iâ??m traveling but will be back to the Island in a few days. I will go to see Connie and see if I can get you and others, the other side of the story and why the $1.00 offer and specific time ,for Wendy to be out. I was not at that meeting and I canâ??t quote for the board but I will get you those answers. Why do you continue to bring that up? Is that a way to discredit the board, the Island people, and others in order to better position yourself on speeding up the process of getting a new Dentist? Also, whatâ??s the deal on the new EMS board issues? Are you looking to better your position there. And why call out Bill Kohls as â??not a friend to to EMS? Then thereâ??s the Boat company issue. On the internet you are just chipping at the edges of those issues and using the internet for your own political means. Thereâ??s better ways to do it. Why donâ??t you just send me your written concerns and I will take it to any board meeting where these issues are being discussed and have your concerns read out loud? Then try to get get you some answers. Iâ??m not so naive as to think we donâ??t have problems to address. But your approach to discredit a lot of hard working people and make the Island people look bad for your own political gains (right or wrong) is no way to conduct Island business or correct problems. So this is my open invitation to you and Ken. Call me, Iâ??ll give you my e-mail address. Ken may already have it. Letâ??s try to solve these problems by getting to the meetings. Please donâ??t continue to run down the Island people on this forum. Itâ??s not fair and only divides us. Not to mention what people must think. I see their comments. Itâ??s no good any of us.
Ronald L. Wojan
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great job Ron, I have seen your sister in law Connie sitting in the hot summer sun for weeks on end selling tickets on a car raffle to support the Medical Center. The BIRHC board as well with Township boards and all others do an excellent job at little or no compensation. Everyone should look back at the 15 page thread and look at all the horrible names people were called. Time to get out from behind the computer screen and face the poor people you slam on the internet. Easy to be brave in that way. As for all the chicken shit posters who donâ??t have the balls to identify themselves, I think the administrators of the forum should delete there posts as soon as they present them. It is clearly against the forum rules. If someone wants to do it better get on the boards and fight for your changes if you are popular enough to get elected.

John McCafferty
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Several replies to my posts insinuate that I don't appreciate or respect volunteers or boards. Let me clarify by saying that I just returned from the Ministry with Community in Kalamazoo were I helped prepare and serve lunch for 250 homeless or less advantaged. Tomorrow I will spend St. Patrick's Day at Hooley for Healing. An Irish hooley is a party with Irish music and entertainment. If it has dancing, it's a ceili. The Irish/American club will pay out of our own pockets for the entire day's expense. We will collect donations that will directly go to selected cancer families and patients in need of financial assistance. I have served hundreds of hours as a deacon and also elder of the Presbyterian Church. Even though I often say that I'm not a part of any organized religion, I'm Presbyterian. For years I was President of Kalamazoo Running Club which organized through volunteers, dozens of road races in most cases proceeds going to nonprofits. With a degree in hospital administration, for 35 years I worked as a director in hospitals, many times being responsible for volunteers and gift shops staffed by volunteers. I interned at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing while Dr. Phil Lange of Beaver Island was Chief of Staff. On Beaver Island, in the heat of my battle with the BIRHC, I too volunteered to sit in the sun and sell car raffle tickets at the store. I served 12 years as a director, secretary and president of Port St. James Association comprised of 500 property owners. You want to talk about feed back from the public, try that job for a time. For several years when cruise ships came to BI, I always volunteered to conduct van tours of the Island. When it comes to volunteering, I have and continue to put my back where my mouth is when it's not too crowded with my foot in there.
I not only respect and appreciate volunteers and board members, I fully realize they are the life blood of many organizations. I recognize and appreciate that for all who serve on Beaver Island. I also realize, and this is the important part, that my 1000's of hours of volunteering does not insulate or indemnify me from being held accountable and responsible if I do something wrong or inappropriate. It's not the volunteers I have a concern about, it is when their actions are questionable and need to be called to the public's attentions especially when they or their organizations are supported by tax dollars. If any of those individuals feel that I have wronged them in any of my comments, they should speak up for themselves or their boards either on the Forum or privately. There are obviously many people who feel compelled to speak for those individuals and criticize me for what I post but I will only seriously take criticism from individuals I referred to directly. Please feel free to send me a PM and I will do likewise.
Kirk D. McBride