Mormon Canal

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

bojerm

Mormon Canal

Post by bojerm »

Hi,

I'm very interested in the history of Beaver Island and I came across this map from the Beaver Island Historical Society:

http://beaverisland.net/beaver-island-h ... p_1800.gif

It mentions a "partially completed" canal from Lake Geneserath to Lake Michigan. Does anyone have any more information about this canal?

Thanks,

Jeremie
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The little I know of it is that the Mormons were going to shorten the trip to Charlevoix and make a nice safe harbor of Lake Genezerath until they got to the edge of the bluff and realized Lake Mich was some 30 feet lower which would have drained most of the lake, project canceled!
duffer

yes

Post by duffer »

i am very sure what i have read on it is richie is right spot on!
duffy
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

What about the Mormon plan to pirate Lake Michigan ships to support the Kingdom by running boats under cover out of Lake G? :shock: :? :roll: I'm going with that one 8)
Skull&CrossBones
FishCamp

Post by FishCamp »

The partially constructed ditch can still be seen. It is on private property. I heard it was intended to power a mill. There was also the intention to improve the Cable Creek outlet so as to pull boats in there and hide them from the sight of passing law enforcement vessels.
BradG

Post by BradG »

A few years ago we found the canal on the east bank of the south arm near Hemlock Point. Good thing they didn't finish it!
Dick and Amy

Mormon excavation:

Post by Dick and Amy »

I placed some red ribbons from/on this sign (27245 East Side Dr.) leading to the east end of the Mormon excavation; there are more ditches as you go west toward Lake "G".
The red ribbons are on trees all the way to the east end of the trenches. I'm sure the Howing family would appreciate it if you went no farther than where it is marked. Many people have not seen this historical site.
My personal guess is, that it was for a griss mill in these days.