Audio/Video conferencing with highspeed internet.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Nich

Audio/Video conferencing with highspeed internet.

Post by Nich »

For any who now have high-speed internet, if you have a webcam, check out...
http://www.skype.com/welcomeback/
Click the download tab.
A friend and I have been playing around with this lately. We both have Macs, but Skype works with Mac and Windows both.
We tried iChat, using AIM screen-names, but they must have a conflict with the servers, the Video chat refuses the call (on TDS DSL). We tried Yahoo IM, can get video, but audio causes a crash. We tried Skype and it's working pretty well. Video and audio both come through with decent speeds. You can only make calls to other people that have Skype installed, but it's a free program and easy to set up.
If you want to try it:
get a webcam:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... t=130&mnf=
download Skype from link at top. Setup is easy, tell anyone you want to video-chat with to do the same.
It's working fairly well for my friend and I.
Thought I would share.
Ted Nicholas
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Hey I tried - am currently trying - this out and it works great.

Sue is in Utah at our son's house and we are in the middle of a video
conversation as I type this while Scott is trying to fine tune his
camera.

It's pretty neat.

Back to my other conversation now.
Nich

Great Frank!

Post by Nich »

Ya, pretty simple eh? As I previously stated, we tried several other IMs, they all worked with text, some worked with passing files (attachments). None of them worked with video/audio chat without much trouble-shooting, except Skype, which worked first try for everything.
Nice!
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net
chrispeterson

Post by chrispeterson »

Good post. Skype is good. Another option is gomeetnow www.gomeetnow.com, web video conferencing tool. It is easy to use and has no download of any kind.