Outgoing St. James Twp board members did it again

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

The man in question was the assistant Harbor Master, before Jim White quit, was put in charge and should have just been given the job anyway as a climb up the ladder. Jim, Jean and Rick were trying not to go through the whole debacle and time wasted that happened when the 2 and I strongly say 2 men were hired at the Transfer Station and it didn't work out at the time it should have been given to Bob Marsh who should have climbed the ladder in that position to become the manager and has been doing a great job since becoming the manager. Joe will do and has done an amazing job - why waste the time. I would not judge the decision of anyone unless I have walked in their shoes.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Nice defense of your husband but there is more to it than that including proper public protocol. We all know the history here and that cannot be ignored. [removed] Things cannot be done "the way we always did it." We need to get back on proper and ethical ground! I understood Mr. Collins wanted to stay, he was doing a good job. I call for investigation of this improper act. I believe public jobs are required to be posted and lastly this is one more error they commit before they leave us in a serious mess.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

You know Ken - I am one of those taxpayers too but this has nothing to do with that and nothing against Mike Collins, he did a great job but Joe has been working at the Yacht Dock for the past few years. This is the way they have always done the replacement since Joe's dad worked there - Glen Felixson took over for him- Jim White took over for him - and only natural that Joe should take over for Jim. The board made the best decision, saving time and money - isn't that what we want from them. Vendettas aside, we need to let the man do the job. And just so Jimmy whoever you are - Mr. no last name knows I was not only sticking up for my husband but I know first hand all the time and energy he has spent at the Yacht Dock, not only this year but in previous years. Now I am done talking about this, bait someone else.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm the Harbor Master of Whiskey Island so I speak with some experience and authority. My appointment was easy, there is no one else over here.
Here's my question to Sheri, if the job was posted as required, what makes you think the best person would not be selected? The process that was improperly used, unfairly casts a question and shadow on the person selected. No one will know if the best person was selected. By not posting, it's the same old cronyism that caused me to move over to Whiskey and turns honest people off. Otherwise, if I had not moved, I would probably be BI Harbor Master by now. And that's scary.
Shame on the township board. Both Joe and Mike are good and qualified people. Their process was not fair to anyone. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
Dawn E. Marsh

Post by Dawn E. Marsh »

The board has not had a lot of success in recent years in posting for positions. Why is it necessary to waste time posting, when it is perfectly legal to promote an employee who is already doing the job that needs filling? Please don't turn this into an attack on a board that has already made past attempts, that have failed. I commend them for their action, and appreciate that the position is filled by someone with Joe's experience.
Dawn E. Marsh

Post by Dawn E. Marsh »

Ken, you must not know me very well, if that is what you have deducted because of one statement that I made. Shame on you for painting me with such a broad brush. I assure you, I am more diverse than you know.💜
Dawn E. Marsh

Post by Dawn E. Marsh »

It is not illegal to not post in this situation, so no lawsuit...👌
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Where does this leave Mike Collins who stepped in and did the township an excellent job in a pinch? Why was Joe not put in the job when Jim left without advanced notice?
I would hope the township will post the job that pays over $25,000 for less than half a year. Both Mike and Joe are very qualified but I'm sure there are others on the Island who would like to be considered for this government (public) job, especially in this tough employment economy.
It should have been posted. Something is not right here :!:
Kirk
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

It has been reported that the open meetings act has been violated as a result of this action. Apparently the offering of the job was done prior to the meeting. As Mr. Taylor has said, they have done it again and again. [removed] this is too important a job to the community? A matter of public record. All jobs should be posted, it's only proper procedure and for anyone to expect any job is wrong. Mike Collins did an excellent job and should have been retained.
Dawn E. Marsh

Post by Dawn E. Marsh »

"Jimmy", I thought we had to use our names on this forum? I would like to know who you are, and how\where you got your information from? When you make hurtful accusations, you should have to bear the consequences. What a coward you are, hiding behind anonymity.
Dawn E. Marsh

Post by Dawn E. Marsh »

Ken, that is really not how it was. It just made sense to promote Joe, who has been there for 4 years, rather than hire Mike, who Joe would have to train. They hired Mike last summer, because Joe was committed at the Transfer Station, and didn't want to leave them short handed on such short notice, which I think is admirable. Joe has done an excellent job as well, so with his experience, it was only natural that he was offered the full time position. It sounds like a part time position will be posted to fill Joe's former job. Nothing illegal in promoting a deserving employee.
esteger

Post by esteger »

There are those who serve, and those who only complain.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Both Joe and Mike are excellent candidates for Harbor Master and either will do an excellent job. This original post is not about the WHO but the HOW. If I understand Dawn's recent reply, Joe's part time job vacancy will be posted but Jim's full time Harbor Master job does not have to be posted. A public job paying $27,000 for 4 months does not have to be posted but a minimum wage part time job will be posted. Where is the logic in that thinking?
Kirk
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

â??The world can use more light and less noise. More solvers and fewer blamers. More folks showing a better way and fewer folks complaining about how much better things used to be. More folks offering help and fewer folks wringing their hands about the problems. More hope bringers and fewer hope killers.â?￾
― Steve Goodier

Perhaps "Jimmy" should consider this and be part of the solutions and come forward using his/her real name. Hiding behind a door spewing poison at others is never going to change the system. Your attacks on these men is pathetic. Your message and concerns are lost in your antics. All I see is someone who needs to grow up and make less noise.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Perhaps if you really knew what was going on you would feel differently. This does not begin and end with just this one item. Maybe if you educated yourself in what is really going on you would be much smarter and understand. Quit chiming in until you know all the facts. If you want them posted here you would not like it.