Paramedic Job Posting

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Did Peaine Township pass a resolution for their share?
What is happening for now while they wait to hire someone?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks very much for the info. Is the assumption that the entire cost of paramedics will need to be covered by the townships, or does the ALS/paramedic position recover some of its own cost through insurance billing for transports? Obviously no one wants to bankrupt those already in bad shape in time of emergency, but I would have thought with the affordable care act mandating at least some (60%) insurance for everyone that there might be some recovery from insurance for emergency responses? Does ALS or having a paramedic improve expense recovery when providing emergency transport service?
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I would like to suggest that individuals direct these questions to the township representatives on the ESA board-Bill Kohls, Chairperson and Rick Speck, St. James Township's representative. I have not heard of a Peaine Township board meeting being called but St. James did approve the extra funding to keep ALS secure for the near future. The public appreciates accurate information and communications by the ESA board. Left to the islanders' imagination, heaven only knows what the rumors will be! No "emoticons" as this is a serious matter.

It is my understanding while sitting in on ESA meetings that unless a paramedic is in the air ambulance, insurances will not cover the air ambulance trip with BLS. Remember, BLS does not provide for the use of a cardiac monitor, IVs, meds, or other advanced treatment. The loss in insurance to BIEMS to run air transports BLS was quoted at around $60,000. An Island Airways air ambulance run returns $1500.00 to BIEMS for each run. There also is a problem with the delay in insurance payments coming back to EMS. I would suggest that those insurance questions be directed to Kevin White.
McGrass
PScott

Post by PScott »

This is a critical issue and information is vital.
Last edited by PScott on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish Scott
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Township officials have never felt it was necessary to inform the public. Voters keep returning the same old gang to public office anyway. :(
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

I received an email from Bill Kohls who stated that Peaine had a special meeting on Wednesday, July 20 and also passed the $8000 needed to support a paramedic position until Labor Day.

Has anyone heard about a millage on the ballot for Nov.?

Is Rick crunching numbers?
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Thanks for the update, Jacque. Reminder that the Emergency Services Authority meets this Thursday, July 28th at 2 p.m. at the Peaine Township Hall. The new township website is active: http://www.peainetwp.org/government_dep ... hority.php
McGrass
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Thanks for the heads up on the meeting, Pam. I had not seen it posted anywhere.

The websites for both Peaine and St. James are nicely done but they really don't give any info other than the names, etc. of people are the various boards. In looking at other Charlevoix Township sites, they have their meetings and minutes available to the public. Does anyone know if this is the responsibility of the townships, or webmaster?
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

I just spoke with Krys Lyle. The meeting minutes are available on both townships websites...you just need to navigate a bit to get to them. For St. James... click on HOME, click on GOVERNMENT/DEPARTMENTS, click on BOARD OF TRUSTEES, click on BOARD AGENDA AND MINUTES...and there they are, except neither Township is up to date.

Also. neither Township's Calendar indicated the Special Meetings that were held this month. That is up to each Township to contact Krys.