Forest Management-Sensible Article!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Forest Management-Sensible Article!

Post by Gillespie »

John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

OK,I get it...the article makes sense...
Clear cutting is a good thing...
But I thought the logging industry mantra has been
"Select cutting is good.. not clear cutting"
Im confused. Which science Kool-Aid should I drink?
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
JPike

Post by JPike »

John, the answer is....it depends. Science based simply means letting a professional wildlife forester, manage the forest. For example, aspen stands typically are prescribed clear cuts......areas of severe beech bark decline, might also qualify, likely LEAVING the beech bark disease resistant trees standing, and therefore leaving seed trees that would also propagate resistant seedlings. Again, all of that would be under the scope of a licensed professional. Eric Ellis from the Ruffed Grouse Society as an example, has been active with the BIWC and the NRC in the past.

The opinion I got from the article is if you wanted your hip replaced, go to an orthopedic surgeon.....if you want your forests managed in a healthy, sustainable fashion, go to the corresponding forester.
Jared Pike
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

So, I would then suppose that the type of forest and its' particular condition in Indiana would be more conducive to clear cutting.(?)
Like politics .. it is all always a local issue..
I understand that the DNR has contracted out some cutting on the island lately for management purposes. I would think then, if it is a public perception problem, as quoted by the article.... as long as they kept such activities away from right next to our scenic tourist roads... leaf lookers, et al, will remain calm.
Ben Franklin
JPike

Post by JPike »

Well as you stated, it is always a local issue....in this case there are different forest types on Beaver Island and the Archipelago .....Northern Hardwood, Lowland Swamps, Aspen Stands, Lowland Hardwood, Lowland Coniferous, etc...you get the point.....each type of stand typically has its own prescriptions for it. The goal of most forest management programs is to have a diversified spectrum of forest ages.....early successional is typically best for wildlife, however, as we all know, the Northern Red Oak/American Beech doesn't produce hard mast until later in their age, so it's important to have young forests, medium aged, and mature forests. In fact, on BI there are a few tracts of land that have true Old Growth, which are important to protect as well. The big picture that the Lanscape Planning Committee is trying to get to is balance....science and esthetics of sustainable forestry, which can produce economic stimulus, better habitat for ALL wildlife, and more access for people to enjoy the interior of BI.....much of which is terribly difficult to traverse due to the condition of the island's forests (blowdowns, beech bark disease, etc).
Jared Pike
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It's all good John, the best thing for nature short of lightning which raised hell on Beaver Island in 1934 (I'm told) after timbering had gone away. Hard to imagine how many times Lightning has affected these islands through time!
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Are you referring to the liquid kind??
They got that stuff down Siler City way....way back in their forests. :lol:
Ben Franklin
duffer

Post by duffer »

ill say this being a logger for 25 years and being part of a logging consortium, when things are clear cut ground timberâ?¦. stuff left should be addressed and not all allowed to just lay. thats the fuel that spawned the two big fires that burned michgan flat, yes i do believe trees need to be cut because a old growth forrest had few trees per acre, mature pines no more than 6 or 7 because the canopy shaded out the rest from growth. there was also little chance of forest fires in old growth trees, because there was little fuel on the ground to be burned. and when fires did sweep thru they're were few lower branches down low, the quality of wood was better and more clear with a mature forrest. =because aa a whole america was logged flat we don't have the natural big trees we had before, where even maples were close to 200 hundred feet tall. we have never seen woos like that because we harvest faster than they grow. when they say there re more trees than 100 years ago that would be a true statement but all are small and nothing like the big tress that were equivalent to about 10 small trees. also by the clear cutting they did years ago trees are crowded. most all the logging i did in the southwest united states was thinning because the trees were to close and not huge making it a fire hazard. logging in the early days were still paying for with over crowded trees. the island has beautiful forrest bit nothing like they did. aspen or poplar are usually clear cut. they grow like weeds and a single stand is usually all one root base. I am not an authority on wood cutting but i went to many classes on wood management and was part of a management group. i thinned trees professionally and had a great reputation for quality logging. its not just what you cut but what you leave. if you take all the good quality trees you won't get good quality new growth. like any spices quality trees make quality seedlings. and also its how you harvest them. run into the bases of the trees that are left being careless kills the next harvest by scabbed up trunks. my reputation as a forrester was rock solid and i have many fine ranchers out west who would agree and would recommend me in a minute. here the parcels are small out west most of the trees i harvested came off 1000 acre cuttings or bigger. common sense is the key, trust worthy loggers is the trick. its tragic that a few ruin it for the ones who really care. it never hurts to have a good neutral forrester walk your place before any trees are cut.
duffy
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Been to Siler City John!!
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Yea, your people live close to our people down there.
Ben Franklin
E. Naranjo

electricity, oil or wood?

Post by E. Naranjo »

For some it is the essence of life! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDOIsk2IijE NOW GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!! E. 8)