Santa Clause, the Easter bunny and "global warming"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

E. Naranjo

Santa Clause, the Easter bunny and "global warming"

Post by E. Naranjo »

Have you ever questioned the idea of global warming? What if middle class Americans were forced to pay for something that is not real? Regardless of what we are being told, I believe that our instincts most generally are correct. 7:10 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZD--zVNa4 E. 8)
robertg

Post by robertg »

Instincts are often wrong. That's why have science: to uncover truths about how the universe works. The scientific method begins from an open-minded position, then looks for evidence to either support or discredit a theory (or as you call it, an instinct). Today, 97% of (open-minded) scientists are convinced that human-produced greenhouse gasses are the cause of climate change, and that it is accelerating. On the other hand, climate-change deniers are often either a part of, or beholden to, the fossil-fuels industry. ExxonMobil, for example, was aware that fossil-fuel burning was causing climate disruption as early as 1992, but covered up their internal memos to that effect and then sank millions of dollars into a disinformation campaign. Climate change is real. It is the crisis of our times. Denying this "inconvenient truth" only delays its solution.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

One volcanic eruption does more for climate change than all of man kinds existence on the planet Robert, what do we do about that?
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

There must have been a lot of volcanoes over the last 70 years.
http://assets.climatecentral.org/images ... awkins.gif
E. Naranjo

thanks

Post by E. Naranjo »

First off, thanks to those who commented!
Second, I'm not so much bothered by who is right or wrong. I am bothered that the U.N. expects the U.S. to lead the way with the "Climate agenda" while at the same time we see the "American values" we grew up with being flushed down the toilet. I am proud to be an American and I never will be able to embrace a one world gov. or economy. Especially if it means sacrificing what our soldiers gave their lives for.
Third, I pray the corporate elites are not vested in cashing out the American way of life.... But my silly instinct keeps whispering in my ears. Here is a neat article with lots of science! Did you know that in 1816 there was a volcanic eruption that cancelled out summer in some regions? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer and Rob, you know I like silly videos so here is another earworm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VNxmn0lNA
Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole »

The passionate must never be intimidated by the voice of reason. ~ Alfred E. Neuman
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

There was a great news program on HBO's VICE last week that covered what is being done to rush our planet to a sustainable power source (and I'm sorry E. Naranjo, but super patriotic flag waving fossil fuel euphoria is not going to help the long term situation.. the world our Grand kids will be growing up in)

Major modern countries, including the USA , along with innovators, like Elon Musk, are looking ahead to a day where fusion energy will be harnessed and power will be self perpetuating...in the meantime, they are developing alternative energy sources and alternatives to fossil fuel consumption.(All these folks main concern? Will there be enough time to develop all of these sources before Earth's time runs out.. air, ocean livability etc)
If they succeed....
then we here on Earth will have to find other the reasons to fight amongst ourselves...
if they fail.... the oceans will be as barren as the Great lakes and we will fighting for just a little non toxic air to breath...

Don't think so? look at Beijing or Sao Palo, or Mexico city...
and be sure to bring your face mask.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
E. Naranjo

e

Post by E. Naranjo »

John, don't be quick to label me as a fossil fuel junkie. Nikola Tesla proved that alternative forms of cleaner energy do exist. I cannot help the fact that the elite want to spoon feed us their "solution". I simply postulated the idea that a lot of hocus pocus is being used to demand that you and I should alter our lifestyle here in America while the rest of the world does very little to remedy the situation. I also wanted to point out the idea that quite often decisions are made for the good people of America with very little sound data. And last but not least, I don't like the idea of the U.N.

I personally have reduced my carbon footprint (if there is such a thing) by moving to B.I. On average I used to drive in excess of 30,000 miles a year when I worked in the building trades. Now I log just over 3,000 miles a year. My reduction in miles should in no way be used as a template for how you should live. It was my decision. I just think that most of what we are being told has very little to do with reality and lots to do with lining the pockets of the corporations that rule the world. I hope that helps :wink: E. 8)
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

point taken...

however, the corps can not sell their wares to a corpse....

it's self interest for all (air, water, food) , despite what economic model we all live with, now... or in some utopian future.......
Ben Franklin
woody

I like that,

Post by woody »

If climate change is why we have fewer 'hurrycanes'in the south, I am all for it.
AEW

Post by AEW »

A rough guide to spotting bad climate science

bad-science

Guest essay by John Davies *

Being able to evaluate the evidence behind any scientific claim is important. Being able to recognize bad science reporting or faults in scientific studies is equally important. These following points may help you separate the real science from the pseudo science.

Speculative Language

Speculations from any research are just that â?? speculations.

Look out for ambiguous, obfuscatary or weasel words & phrases such as â?¦

â?? can, clearly, could, conjectured, considered, expected, may, might, perhaps, possibly, projected, robust, unprecedented

â?? â??Experts suggestâ?¦â?￾ â??It has been said that â?¦â?￾ â??Research has shownâ?¦â?￾ â??Science indicates â?¦â?￾

â??It can be arguedâ?¦â?￾ â??Scientists believeâ?¦.â?￾ â??A high level of certaintyâ?￾ â??Models predictâ?¦.â?￾ etc,

â?¦as any real evidence, for the conclusions being claimed is doubtful.

Sensational Language & Headlines

The media will â??Never let facts spoil a good storyâ??

Words like â?? Unprecedented, unparalleled, unmatched, extraordinary, groundbreaking, phenomenal, apocalyptic, bizarre, cataclysmic, catastrophic, devastating, extreme.

Phrases like â?? â??Since records beganâ??, â??The majority of scientists concurâ?? â??Never on such a scaleâ??: are used to convey a message, not necessarily the truth or facts, they rely on the reader having a short memory or being too lazy to check. â??Unprecedentedâ??; now often meansâ?¦not within the last 9 months !!

Headlines of articles are regularly designed (with no regard to accuracy) to entice readers into reading the article.

At best they oversimplify the findings, at worst they sensationalise and misrepresent them.
AE Wirth
robertg

Post by robertg »

Scientists writing in order to publish their experimental results use a completely different style than people writing to summarize those results, or to influence public policy. Scientists cannot be held responsible for what the media do with their newly-gained knowledge. But regardless of what spin has been put on the data by others, it speaks clearly for itself. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tFqqBAzuw
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
stardust

Oh NO

Post by stardust »

I saw Chicken Little on Barneys Lake Road and she said the SKY IS FALLING. Oh No The earth has it's climate cycles live with it.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Yea Rob, your just like that Al Gore, Mr. smarty pants and all those other people who read and takes serious things like...facts...
Me, I think "truthiness" is enough to keep my head well into the sand...
Ben Franklin
duffer

weather

Post by duffer »

all i can say is not doing anything is not an option, as someone who grew up farming, if we don't look at things like this we could have catastrophic crop failure just as we had the dust bowl. so even though we want to say a volcano is worse than cars hardly, the toxic emissions that come from cars and trucks is totally different than what a mountain spews. so yes we should be looking into it so that were not caught hungry! few people grow food like just 50 years ago, small farms gone, global warming actually came as we cut the boreal forrest thus letting sun touch the earth in some places for the first time, take in all those black top parking lots and with out one dose of emissions we have altered the earth. what we call forrest now is nothing like 200 years ago when most trees were 200 plus feet tall. there is no doubt that we affect the earth more than any other creature,s!
duffy