kids

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

duffer

kids

Post by duffer »

once again I make a post about foreign exchange students, ill post this after mister bolton because its a worthy cause. some one said i was not happy living here? never have i said such a thing i have always been a community player and give for those who need help and always have. i was discouraged at the fact my last post got derailed on a tax rampage, i won't disclose the bitcher. I have contacted youth for understanding and have told them i am willing again even with marginal income because of the slow down here on the island. the only way things work is with input from others and i want positive input! I am enterprising and still here because i have diversified myself. my mainland home has been rented to no one but island residences and have enjoyed helping others out, from storing things over in charevoix, also rented to the crew who worked on fogs home. Whats it take to make an impact? i thing foreign exchange even betters are kids. having started on missionary work, i would hope some would see that we as a community have things to offer. PLEASE POST IDEAS. I will set up a meeting if people would come and listen and give ideas. I will also contact the school to see what they need. JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
duffy
stardust

housing and kids

Post by stardust »

I do think the student exchange is a good idea but not along term fix.

What could be a great idea is to get a grant from HUD to build a HUD apartment complex giving families a foot hold into living on the island.
duffer

yes

Post by duffer »

i am going to try and build some small cabins here , i see a place for affordable housing, simmers every place has a high price tag for sure! the kids would just improve the school!
duffy
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

HI Duffer, Traverse City Schools (T-Caps) has been hosting students from China who's parents pay to have them go there. The biggest problem for them is to find host families. I think your idea has merit and it can be further investigated by talking to the people in Traverse City. In regard to Mr. Bolton: I believe that if you own property on the Island than you acquired it knowing that with it comes taxes. Proposition "A" of 1994 says that non-homesteaders will pay full millage. I heard a Judge once say in a court room to a defendant that exclaimed "this is not fair" he said: I did not say the law is fair "I said it is the law" I might think that would also apply in this situation. :roll: :roll:
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

@SKATINGFAMILY
I think you the missed the point of Mr. Bolton's post. Paying the non-homestead tax isn't the issues. Example....I have non-homestead rental homes where I live were I pay full millage of $2200. The same non-homestead home on Beaver Island with the same value would have a tax liability of $6100. That is Mr. Bolton's point. People who own non-homestead homes and business expect to pay taxes. The homestead residences of Beaver Island can't see the long-term harm they do to themselves every time they place the burden on the non-homesteads. That's why BI has so many second homes for sale, everyone is staying off-island.
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esteger

Post by esteger »

Mr. Bolton's post did not object to the broader issue of the Homestead Exemption which is a legitimate issue, but urged only to take an action which would hurt the school system and its students.
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Thank you for clarification in regard to Mr. Bolton's comment.
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

I own off-lake property on the island, and until last year, owned off-lake-with lake-view property in Indiana. The taxes on the island are roughly triple the taxes here, for a property that is roughly one third the size and significantly lower grade. No question, the taxes on Beaver Island are very, very high for non-homesteaders.

That said, I am proud of owning property on the island, and I am proud of the school and its students and faculty. I will happily pay my share. I don't know what formulas were applied to determine who would pay what portion of the levy, but I hope nobody was trying to place undue burden on the non-homesteaders. That, as it has been pointed out, will ultimately be a dis-service to the island and to EVERYBODY who seek to enjoy it.

We can accomplish much more together than we can if we are divided!