FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Re: FOR A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Richie,
They are not say that anybody from the pro side wanted any office positions but that they are wanting people in office that they will do what the pro side wants....I didn't think this was that complicated to understand. You are wrong to call anybody a liar as Bill really did receive a letter stating this! We receive many letters, phone calls etc about this sort of thing.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Jimmy McCafferty

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

I seem to recall on viewing Joe Moores recording of the pro consolidation meeting Angel was asked if she had political ambitions and she replied yes. Did I remember correctly?
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

NO that is terrible! She has never said that! Go back and listen yourself before you throw out such garbage about people. Vote YES to stop this!
burton
tpalmerpop

Post by tpalmerpop »

Jimmy McCafferty, I believe you should listen again.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Calm down, I believe Jimmy just asked a question...great response though Carol. Makes me think he hit a nerve. Hmmmm??
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

John, A question without proper research is what was wrong. It just threw garbage out in the universe and you are absolutely right it did hit a nerve. I defend people that haven't done wrong. Example: Just like I stand by your side with the horse barn and business that you had to shut down. Sad loss for Beaver Island when you closed. I feel that it was a service to the community and something for visitors to do not a profit to your pocket book. I actually talk often about small business and what we can do to make it work! It is needed. Thank you for holding in as long as you did. Now please don't short change the intent of those that you may want on your side later. We can be civil.
burton
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Here is a great article on where we are heading if this is defeated, it's an eye opener!

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3226 ... ugh-merger
tpalmerpop

Post by tpalmerpop »

Tomorrow is an important day on Beaver Island. The residents of my island home will vote on whether or not to consolidate two townships. This is a taxing idea on some (literally) because it would be a financial and historical change with unknown consequences. Unfortunately this seems to have caused a great divide where St. James township ends and Peaine begins. There has been so much mudslinging that I think peoples votes have been more swayed by the childlike behavior of some, rather than on the facts. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth. And if you don't agree with them, I am totally fine with that.
As a former and (hopefully) future islander and one whose family has a great deal invested there, I have watched the island change, and not for the better. If I was looking for a place to go for vacation, I'm not certain that Beaver Island would be it. If I was a young family, looking to move to a rural community, I would never move to Beaver Island. I go there for the people that I love. I go there because my heart and bloodline are rooted in the soil. When the boat pulls into that harbor, I look for faces in the crowd that I long to see. But for a tourist, a first time visitor, or one who has no island connections, that one particular harbor doesn't carry the same magic that it once did. Main Street is kind of an eye sore. The fence didn't help. There are no flowers, the yacht dock looks like shit. Its not quaint or cute. There are many beautiful places in Northern Michigan who put a great deal of work into maintaining a community that draws tourist in. A little paint, flowers and some benches, go a long way.
In recent years, the island has lost some amazing entrepreneurs and artists, because their businesses could not survive the economics of the island. They also lost people who were in EMS and on the Fire Department because these people had to leave the island to seek affordable living. A great deal of focus should be spent on trying to figure out how and why this is happening. But I think in some ways its plain to see; there is no progress on Beaver Island. And without progress, there are no tourists. Without tourists, there are no jobs. Yes, Beaver Island has beautiful sunsets. But there are million places people can go for a sandy beach and a beautiful sunset. And it doesn't cost them an arm and a leg to get there. It costs us $350-$500 just to get to Beaver Island with our kids. We can drive elsewhere for much less. What keeps us coming back is family and friends. Someone mentioned on the forum that people love Beaver Island because it resembled what the world was like 20 years ago. In part, some of that is probably true. But in my opinion, the island offered more to people 20 years ago! The food, music and shopping scene were booming. Tourism is absolutely essential for the survival of the island. And it seems to me (educated guess here) consolidation of townships, once the kinks are worked out, will allow a stronger board to work together and try to figure out how to focus on this. It will also allow for the funds and grants to do so. Docks, trails, improved cell and internet service and affordable transportation would all be welcome improvements on Beaver Island. If your taxes going up a bit, leads to increased tourism, it’s likely going to mean increased revenue for your business or more hours at your job. Beaver Island needs a boost in its economy. It need more options for people and the people need to stop being so divisive. If its a retirement community you're after, well, that's where you are headed.Eventually the last body will be laid in the cemetery, and there will be no one left. The people of Beaver Island have always been its greatest attribute. And for that, I will always go home. I have a great amount of respect for those that actually serve the people that elected them. And those that keep putting themselves in the line of fire to try and help the island survive, a big hand to ya. Kudos to any island business that is weathering the storm. I am hopeful that no matter the outcome tomorrow, the island will find a way to make enough progress to stay afloat. And, in case you weren't sure where I stood, VOTE YES ON CONSOLIDATION.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I have a place on fox lake rd and was told if it was under 600 sq ft and was a seasonal hunting cabin I could get a 40% tax savings can someone shed some light on this subject I have heard the term seasonal hunting cabin used by many people including the zoning officer thanks
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I have a place on fox lake rd and was told if it was under 600 sq ft and was a seasonal hunting cabin I could get a 40% tax savings can someone shed some light on this subject I have heard the term seasonal hunting cabin used by many people including the zoning officer thanks
Suzi

Post by Suzi »

Hello Everyone, My husband and I are coming to the island in a few weeks to look at investing in property with the plan on building a home that we hope to enjoy for many years to come. We also plan on becoming a contributing part of the island community. I've been doing extensive research on the island and happened upon this forum. I must say that some of the comments seem very reasonable but the sniping going on gives us some hesitation. It's evident that this is a big issue but you should consider how this appears to people who are considering joining and investing in your community. I hope we discover a wonderful place to live with amazing people but parts of this thread are concerning.
Bill

Post by Bill »

This thread, and other threads on this topic, is perhaps not the best place to get the feel of life on Beaver Island. It's a little like if you were invited to someone's family reunion and a huge fight breaks out. It might give one pause if they were thinking about marrying into that family. Personally, I had lived in over ten different locations before moving here, and this place beats them all combined. Of course, at any family reunion there's always the family loud mouth, and the family drunk, and the family ________(fill in the blank), but what the heck- they're family and we love 'em.
There may be grammatical errors in this post, but if you understand what is written, they are irrelevant.
Bill Detwiler
PS: I'm in my 20th year here now.
Bill Detwiler