Indepenence Day!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

Indepenence Day!

Post by AEW »

What a great day! A huge crowd, the best parade in America, great boat show, wonderfull fireworks. Later in the day I sat out in front of the Harbor Market had a great cup of coffee and read a copy of the Declaration of Independence, to me a must do on the 4th. I watched the fireworks from my boat with a few friends, just a wonderful day.
PS, I also thought it was very nice of the AMVETS to have a van following the marines incase they got tired and needed a ride.
"This We'll Defend" US Army!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PSS, Please always remember that when speaking to a Marine never use big words and speak a little slower than normal.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I saw the parade a little differently. I did not have to read the Declaration of Independence to remember those who died so we can enjoy the celebration of freedom on the 4th of July. Too many of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom were Marines. I'm not hesitant to speak quickly and use big words when addressing a Marine, words such as gratitude.
I believe this is the purpose of the Forum.

Kirk D. McBride
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

AEW - Get a life. Your post started out positive, but then you had to get a dig in apparently. I was taught to respect my elders, and if those men marching in the parade are elderly, but still marching, than I think we shoud all be shouting thank you and good job!
PS I'm not afraid to put my name to what I post.
Kathleen Dvoracek
AEW

Post by AEW »

I did not mean to offend. It is a long standing tradition of the branches of the US Military to razz each other. Trust me I get mine from my Marine, Airforce and Navy brothers and sisters. As one who has served the Nation in uniform for over 12 years in places most have never heard of. I am very familiar with the sacrifice we veterans have all have given to the Nation in a very personal way. (My wife is retired after 21 years in the Navy. We have some interesting banter oh believe me, I get mine. Whether a squid, dog face, jarhead or wingnut we are and will always be the defenders of America........
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

It's OK Adam ............. Not everyone can be a Marine. :lol: Army Sp Forces is a fine 2nd. :mrgreen: We understand your comments were a funnin.

Semper Fi

http://www.oo-rah.com/store/editorial/edi52.asp
AEW

Post by AEW »

I knew a Vet would understand the humor. We also need to understand the difference between Independence Day and Memorial Day. I have worked alongside many great units when I served. SEALS, AirForce Combat Control Teams, Pararescue Jumpers, Special Tactics Squardron, Task Force 160, US Army Ranger Battalions, Delta, CIA, Special Missions Units, Foriegn Service Officers and Marine Force Recon (the good marines)(oh man I am gonna get it now), There are a lot of great organizations out there doing very specialized missions for the success of the of the goals we are tasked with for our Nation. :-)
Stephen C. West

"Marine Force Recon (the good marines)(oh man I am gonna get it now)," ................ said the former SF guy

NOW CALLED ............ USMC Special Operations Command ....... The baddest snake eaters on the planet.

Except for the super secret Task Force ***** the guys who strike terror in the the hearts of the .....................................................
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Humor and "funnin" is one thing but I took the comments directed specifically at the Marines marching in the parade to be disrespectful. I do know the difference between Memorial Day and Independence Day, however, any day a veteran is willing to march with our flag that vet deserves our respect and honor. I feel your comments dishonored both.
Steve - Thank you for your service and being a Marine but if you thought the comments directed at the Marines marching on Saturday to be appropriate:
Shame.................................on.......................................you!
Is that slow enough?
AEW can continue to spin this or his life story anyway he wants to but a simple apology would be a nice show of respect for those who marched instead of sipping cappuccino on the 4th.

Kirk D. McBride
US Army
Vietnam
Stephen C. West

Awww shucks can't we all just get along. :D

".........have a van following the Marines incase they got tired and needed a ride."

I do note all Marines made it except me. I had to drop early in order to attend to other duty.

"Shame.................................on.......................................you!
Is that slow enough?" :?: :mrgreen: NO
AEW

Post by AEW »

Won't be long till we all are riding in the trucks........