Pave Paradise put up a parking lot

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

pbona

Pave Paradise put up a parking lot

Post by pbona »

Hello All,
I am very disconcerted to hear of an application to the DNR to "improve" the Bill Wagner Campground. This site is appealing to campers precisely because of its unspoiled pristine nature. This type of natural serenity is very difficult to obtain in an increasingly fast paced world. I would like to offer an alternative site... The South End Lighthouse which is already set up with tent platforms, shower facilities and an area large enough for a dog park and disk golf. Please do not reinvent the wheel and destroy the only quiet, tranquil spot available to those who prefer primitive camping, au naturel. The mainland has a plethora of improved camping. Beaver Island is one of the last places where less is more and its quietude is an easily destroyed hidden treasure. As an aside, Oshtemo township in Kalamazoo put up a frisbee golf park several years ago. There is now grass growing around the rusting chain, "holes" and the township has the added expense of keeping the unused area mowed.

P.S I just found out that letters need to be delivered/emailed ( peainetownship@gmail.com) to the township supervisor, Maria Dal Pra by tomorrow June 16th.
Peaine Twp

Re: Pave Paradise put up a parking lot

Post by Peaine Twp »

Hello!

I appreciate and respect your opinion and concern with regard to improving Bill Wagner's. The improvements are being designed to keep as much of what you've described intact as is possible while providing accessibility and outdoor recreation for all, meaning opening a wider door to outdoor recreation for those who are disabled.

I welcome a conversation on the topic if you have time. Please feel free to send an email with your availability and we can discuss ideas and concerns.
Thanks again for your post and transparency.

Maria Dal Pra
Peaine Township Supervisor
pbona

Re: Pave Paradise put up a parking lot

Post by pbona »

Thank you for your reply. I have sent my letters and comments to both the township and yourself as township supervisor. I would encourage others to do so too!