For Travelers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

I'm Just The Messenger

For Travelers

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

From the Petoskey Review...

CHARLEVOIX — Significant road construction will occur on a seven-mile stretch of U.S. 31 south of Charlevoix starting April 5 (a week earlier than expected) and continuing through Oct. 30, according to state officials.

With the purpose of replacing the aging concrete, the project is the largest of its kind to be undertaken along this portion of highway.

The endeavor comes with an equally long detour route that has been created for drive-through traffic. (Local traffic will still be able to use U.S. 31 with one lane closures making access slow, but possible.)

The detour starts from the south at Atwood Road (near Friske Farm Market) and ends north where Marion Center Road runs into U.S. 31. (across from the Charlevoix Airport).
detour route

Needless to say, the community will be impacted by the adjustments in traffic patterns.

As many as 4,000 cars could be re-routed daily from the highway through to the detour, according to Michigan Department of Transportation officials.

The residents living along the detour are concerned about the safety hazards caused by increased traffic and the businesses along U.S. 31 are concerned about the loss of business because of the expected decreases in traffic.

To address the safety concerns along the detour, Michigan Department of Transportation’s media representative James Lake and construction engineer Brad Swanson reached out to the Charlevoix Courier.

“While we are not installing permanent safety upgrades in the typical sense, we are making modifications to the detour route that will help promote safe use of the route, including making the existing intersection at Atwood/Marion Center (currently a three-way stop) a four-way stop during construction, placing portable changeable message signs to alert drivers to traffic changes, installing construction signs along the detour route, and also installing “rolling terrain” signs on the detour route where applicable,” said Lake. The terrain signs let people know there will be a lot of hills to climb.

In addition, Lake said advisory 45 mph speed limit signs will be posted, permanent blind intersection warning signs will also be installed along the route — at the request of the Antrim County Road Commission — and local law enforcement officials have been asked to patrol the detour route when they can to deter speeding.

Swanson also explained how over the past decades a series of repairs had been made to U.S. 31 in an attempt to hold the road together for as long as possible without having to embark on this major reconstruction project. He said MDOT is required to take the lowest bid on all projects and any materials they use for construction are mandated by the state.

Two-hundred flyers went out last week to local businesses and residents along U.S. 31 reminding them of the upcoming construction, said Swanson. A business’ reaction to the construction interruptions varies depending on the nature of what they do. The seven mile stretch of highway hosts a wide-range of commercial establishments — from an apple orchard to a mineral quarry and a veterinary clinic and daycare.

Ray Bier, owner of Bier Art Gallery, is concerned about the impact the loss of traffic will have on his business and his son’s business, Inwood Brewery (located next to each other on U.S. 31).

“For my family and my business, it means finding new routes on unpaved, hilly back roads ensuring our customers may find us this spring through fall,” said Bier.

“My wife Tami and I first learned of the massive project by MDOT officials in winter 2020. They told us we should consider relocating our art gallery we have run in historic Inwood Corner for over 30 years,” he said.

“We will do our best to help our valued customers find us during the construction,” said Bier.
Pure Michigan

Businesses along the highway that rely on summer tourism are concerned about the construction blocking access for potential customers.
Annie Doyle/Courier

Bier said he was concerned about the lack of help he received from the state.

“MDOT could offer no compensation for our business, advertising or help finding options with our valued art customers who return year after year,” Bier explained.

He also requested a sign on the detour route specifying that Bier Art Gallery is open, but was told MDOT does not specify local businesses in signs.

MDOT said signs will be posted indicating that all commercial operations are open for business as usual.

“We will do our best to stay flexible and ensure our customers can reach us through the new route and on our web site, BierGallery.com and Biersinwoodbrewery.com,” Bier said.
Charlevoix Collision

Carl Johnson, Manager at Charlevoix Collision, said he doesn’t expect construction to impact earnings too significantly because they don’t depend heavily on drive-by customers.

“At least I hope it won’t impact earnings,” said Johnson.

Paul Casciani, owner of the Great Lakes Map Company — a seasonal business offering antique and printed maps — said he will not open this year because of the construction. Casciani said construction on U.S. 31 last summer negatively impacted his map store.

“Once they started construction last year people didn’t come in,” he said. “I am not going to even bother this year.”

“It (the construction) will definitely effect some businesses more than others. I am fortunate that I don’t have to sweat it out. I can sell some of my maps from my lobby here (he also owns Village Graphics in downtown Charlevoix),” he said.

Other businesses also reached out to MDOT officials to ask questions. Swanson said Friske Farm Market owners expressed concern over potential loss of business due to the re-routing of traffic but were supportive of the work that needed to be done to repair the road.

The car dealerships along U.S. 31 also reached out asking about the project, according to Swanson.

Ultimately, Lake and Swanson claim the highway had not been reconstructed in over 70 years — since 1953 — and despite all the inconveniences, the construction needed to be done.

“The time comes in every road way where it needs to be rebuilt and we have reached that point. We realize from our experience all over Northern Michigan that it is never convenient and it is never ideal to be working on a roadway when businesses are trying to make money and support themselves,” said Lake

Lake said his experience has helped him to mitigate the impacts of the construction on the community.

Comments can be directed to MDOT Construction Engineer Brad Swanson, who is overseeing the project, by calling 989-731-5090. Swanson can also be reached through email at SwansonB@Michigan.gov.

Friske Farm Market is located on U.S. 31 near the southern detour route on Atwood Road. The owners expressed concern over potential loss of business due to the re-routing of traffic.
Annie Doyle/Courier
K.D. McBride

Re: For Travelers

Post by K.D. McBride »

Thank you very much for the heads up for those making boat or flight connections to the Island.
Kirk D. McBride