tire disposal progress

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BeanieBeanstalk

tire disposal progress

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

It's good to see that the Waste Management Committee is suggesting there be tire drop-off days this year and that BITS will be making another attempt to purchase a trailer for such. Although the meeting minutes do not specify if the tires can have rims or not, I have been told that the current prices for tire disposal at BITS include both 'with rims' and 'without'. If you need help getting your tires to the Transfer Station on those days, call or email me, Barb Rahn at 231-448-2035 (cell) and barbstemrahn@gmail.com. Dates have not been announced, but let's get ready ahead of time. Maybe count the number of tires you have and get back to me. ......................Is this fun or what?!
Rosema

Re: tire disposal progress

Post by Rosema »

Hi Beanie,

Thanks for your concern and comments!! I am ONLY speaking for myself here - NOT as a member of any committee or group. Here are some things that I have learned in the last year, mostly through written correspondence but also through research.

1. There is not now, nor has there ever been, a policy excluding rims enacted by either Township or the Waste Management Committee. The removal of tires, even those with rims, is considered by all (most) to be an essential function of the Public’s Transfer Station.

2. There WILL be free tire collection days this year. The WMC is waiting for approval from both townships on (2) different 6-day weeks - one in the spring and one later in the summer.

3. The WMC is committed to making tire removal and disposal as routine and common as cardboard removal and disposal.

4. Tire removal from the island is both extremely important to our WMC and Townships and is essential to the general welfare of the island.

5. A road-legal storage trailer as well as de-rimming equipment that would serve the island for years had been authorized for purchase out of available operating funds back in mid-2020. Those purchases have not been executed.

This past weekend, I saw our local street cleaner had pulled a tire with a rim (and dirt and water) out of the harbor. (Thanks Frank!)

It is the general consensus of all (most) involved that if a kind person is willing to pull a tire out of a swamp or the beautiful harbor for that matter, that the only further action required would be to deliver it to the Transfer Station for a nominal fee, or hold it until a Free Disposal Week. No more hoops to jump through.

Hope this helps - and thanks again for your concern and efforts.

Brock
BeanieBeanstalk

Brock, that's brilliant! Well written and informative. Thank you. And thanks again for motivating us to move together and in the right direction. And for joining the Waste Manangement Committee.
FishCamp

Post by FishCamp »

Tires
• Tires: $5 each
• Tires w/rims: $10 each

Some would prefer to just pile them up or dump them and save the fees. How about an abatement during the cleanup?

https://www.beaverislandtransferstation.com/prices/
BeanieBeanstalk

To Fishcamp
May I suggest you contact the Waste Management Committee. They just met today, but you can call the chair, Frank D'Andraia, he's in the book. They welcome input and even have 2 members who are part of Joe's Junk which is working to get all the junk on the island removed.