Driving The Island Roads Safely!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Driving The Island Roads Safely!

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Dear Island Boodle,

It was very thoughtful for you to remind people to drive carefully through the island roads with the "Slow Down #DriveLikeAmy" campaign. You did not suggest a speed. We have children crossing the road around beaches as well as bikers and runners in heavy dust clouds. We're also experiencing an increase in deer-auto collisions. Like the signs on the West Side Roads say, "Watch out for haul trucks". It's a good reminder-they may not see you. PM me and I will buy multiples. =D>

I appreciate your efforts,
Pam Grassmick
McGrass
Gillespie

Re: Driving The Island Roads Safely!

Post by Gillespie »

As I suspected Amy contacted a third party and asked that any reference to this issue be deleted. I knew she would, that said, let's move on (at a reasonable pace!) Peace!
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

As I recall from my own concerns when we would visit, any unmarked (speed limit) road on Beaver Island is legally 55mph. Seems a little fast for people and animals. Not sure who Amy is but it might be a safer place if everyone did drive like her.
DC
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Let’s just say that logging is taking place down the west side of Beaver Island, ten miles from Beaver Island Marine, and let’s pretend that the logs are going to be shipped off the island to the mainland.
How long will it take if the logging truck transports the logs at 55 mph down the gravel roads of Beaver Island, onto the paved King’s Highway, and down to the dock.
Here’s the math:
10 miles equals 55 mph times the time it takes to travel. The time in hours is 10/55 or .18 hours or just under 11 minutes.
OR
10 miles equals 35 mph times the time it takes to travel. The time in hours is 10/35 or .29 hours or just or just over 17 minutes.
So, the question in my mind is related to safety and the value of saving six minutes. Even if the driver of the logging truck is making $100 per hour, the only amount saved by driving faster is $10. If making $50 per hour, the savings is $5. If making $25 an hour, the savings is $2.50.
This savings is, of course, specific to the person who is paying the wages or the one directing the logging company. Now, I don’t know the value of the logging truck full of logs that are to be shipped off the island, but I do know that this amount is much less than one percent of the costs associated with the logging operation.
Now, from the employee’s wages point of view, if paid at an hourly rate, they are losing money in wages by driving faster. If they are getting paid by the number of loads delivered, the amount of money gained by driving faster is miniscule. If compared to the time needed to load the logging truck with logs, this also is miniscule.
So, the real question is if the psychological effects for driving 55 mph, the thought that they are working more efficiently by driving faster, and the idea of getting the job done more quickly, seems more important than the safety issue.
I would suggest that even driving 25 mph with a full logging truck from the site of the pile of logs to the dock does not even come close to the issue of safety and the disaster that could take place at driving more than twice that fast. The amount of money saved by the logging operators does not approach the liability of driving twice that fast. As a matter of fact, the money saved doesn’t even come close to the cost of the signs that read “Watch for haul trucks.”
Now, the physics teacher in me wants to jump in with a comment. If you consider the difference in momentum, the damage that could be done becomes exponentially huge in comparison. Let’s compare the amounts based upon the difference between 25 mph and 55 mph, and assume the same mass of the logging load in each case. This would be a comparison of the liability as well.
Momentum is a function of the square of the speed. 25 squared is 625. 55 squared is 3025. So the momentum (liability) would be decreased by almost 85% if the speed was decreased to 25 mph. It would be decreased by less at the increased speed of 35 or 45, and, of course decreased by nothing if the 55 mph speed was maintained.
Lastly, there haven’t been any logging truck accidents on Beaver Island that I know about, but, as a former paramedic, now retired, I certainly know that there would be very little likelihood of survival for any vehicle hitting a logging truck head on or if the logs flew off the truck, no matter the cause.
Also, the amount of dust is proportional to the speed of the vehicle no matter whether a loaded logging truck or an empty logging truck as compared to any other vehicle. This really doesn’t pertain to the King’s Highway, but it certainly does on the gravel roads. If a pickup truck driving by you at 35 mph blinds you, imagine the dust cloud thrown up by a logging truck moving much more air and dust at 55 mph.
So, even if the speed on any road in the State of Michigan is 55 mph on any un-posted roadways, it seems to make sense to slow down for safety reasons on Beaver Island because the liability is much greater at higher speeds, and the money saved isn’t worth the extra speed and possible negative outcomes, and this is the reason to slow down.
I would also suggest that this pertains to any loaded trucks and/or trailers hauling something on the island.

Joe Moore, retired teacher and retired paramedic
PScott

Post by PScott »

Very well said, Joe! I also highly doubt that posting those signs saying to watch for trucks would do much, if anything, in a court of law should a tragedy occur. West Side Road is quite narrow and features a few decent curves which contributes to the danger of operating a truck full of logs at an unsafe speed. It’s a recipe for disaster.
Trish Scott
BeanieBeanstalk

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

Hello all!
For about 18 months now I have wanted "ENTERING DEAD MAN'S CURVES' (with skull and cross bones, of course) posted at both ends of the multiple S curves at the top of West Side Dr. One sign just after the intersection of Paid Een Ogs and airport drive aka Donnell Mor's Lane, and the other south of the intersection with Mrs Reddings Trail. That might not slow down the locals, but it would make the tourists think!

I actually spoke with our Road Commissioner about 18 months ago about adding normal caution type signs, but we all know that won't work. And I looked into signage. They make one that tells you your speed as you approach the sign. I've read that those are pretty effective because the are interactive and real-time.

Other signage might be "VULTURE'S 8 MILE CAFETERIA" (for East Side Drive), "SKELETON'S DANCE HALL: NEXT THREE DO-CE-DOS", and "KING'S REVENGE RAVINE". Maybe even "TIME TO SAY YOUR PRAYERS".
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Joe Moore uses excellent logic in his presentation. However drivers kill, while speed contributes. You can legislate speed limits but not common sense of drivers. Change the posted speed limits on the island where necessary. Don't leave it to the discretion of the driver as to what is safe. If I were a resident of Beaver Island I would ask my legislators to request the State Police to come to the island and survey the roads for public safety purpose. I think this would be critical as your population increases with new people not familiar with the roads. The State Police can make the determination of appropriate speed on any roads outside of the harbor area other than the current 55 mph law. Caution signs or other warnings will not have the same effect as posted speeds. This should be a discussion now, not at someone's wake.
DC
BeanieBeanstalk

Darby, I like your fervor for the cause. And I agree with you that logic will not help reduce speeding. And therefore, in my opinion, neither will speed limit signs. It's a viceral, emotional decision to speed or not to speed. That's why I seriously suggest humor with vivid mental images. People will not only remember these funny names, but eventually use them in everyday language to describe things, thus making it a natural part of island speak, which inturn, will make people think about the problem way more often than speed limit signs. Yes, this would take time but, having lived here full time for over 10 years, I think that speed limit signs might have just the opposite of the intended effect. Just my opinion.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Beanie, I respect your opinion and appreciate your humor. Sadly I believe you are correct in your assumption. My take as a now casual observer is that the island might have an inherent problem with laws and authority. At least with posted speeds for everyone to be aware of the law and the dangers, it gives law enforcement the authority to do their job if they choose to do so. It is hard to issue a ticket for a vehicle going around a blind curve on a gravel road at 55 mph when that is the legal speed regardless of whether the locals want to call it "Deadman's Curve".
Hope the issue can be resolved for everyone's safety.
DC
BeanieBeanstalk

I saw Deputy Barbie (Ooops!) I mean Deputy Nicole Olson and learned a couple of things. (I can hear you laughing.) Apparently, the State Police do not come to assess correct speed limits. The townships work with the road commission. Nicole also reminded me of the radar/speed limit sign which she had here last summer. It works really well.
NOlson

Post by NOlson »

It was actually the summer before last (we couldn’t get it last summer) and it was a very helpful tool to have. I hope to be able to have it sent over this coming summer as well! I imagine we will have a really busy summer and an especially busy 4th, but we might have to take the sign when we can get it and if we can get it.

Just a couple of things, when not in a residential area if there is no speed limit posted the speed limit then would be 55 unless conditions do not permit it. For example, dead mans curve or any other rough stretch of road or narrow roadway. One cannot travel faster than what is safe for the road conditions and can be ticketed for it. So legally you can not go 55 on a blind curve, also aside from your basic speeding ticket, there is careless driving, and reckless driving which is actually a misdemeanor not a civil infraction. Plus additional charges if damage is done to property and of course any injury caused on the blind curve or other roads.

There are several problem areas on the island and (I don’t want to make this too long) but for safety sake in the upcoming season I’m going to mention 2 of them now, first coming into town heading north, please remember (and tell your friends and renters) after you pass the Medcenter at the speed limit is 25 mph, that is a very big problem and it is very important because of the kids walking to school, and the extensive foot travel in the warmer months.

Another area of concern is on Kings Highway between Bob’s farm and Carlisle, this is a difficult area because you have vehicles coming off of East side as well of all of Barney’s Lake and then all the traffic in and out of the station, which includes in the traffic down that stretch. Please slow down- this would be a good area for a reduced speed sign.

I also get driving complaints about Westside especially in the area of Redding’s and on Redding’s. And lastly it is worth mentioning for everyone to please remind your friends, visitors, renters, to check where ATV’s are allowed. I get several complaints about those - If you see someone on the beach is helpful if you can get a photo to help identify the person. Or let me know so we can add some extra patrol in theses problem areas. Please contact me with additional concerns or if I have missed something in the lengthy but helpful note.
Deputy NIcole Olson
448-2700
NOlson

Post by NOlson »

It’s 25 mph in all residential areas, I wanted to clarify that.
Thanks
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

A couple of quick additional comments and then I'm on to issues with Door County, WI. What I determine to be a safe speed for conditions may be very different than what you determine to be a safe speed. Always best to have it be definitive, Speed Limit XX. Caution signs only work for the cautious. A safe speed for conditions may very likely be different for the same location from one day to the next. Also keeping in mind with new residents, not everyone will be aware of possible hazards at various locations. The best news is that speed determination can be made by the townships and the county, not the State Police. Keeping decisions at the local level is always best because they are the ones who know best what is needed for safety.

Now for Door County. The ferry to Washington Island runs on a very frequent schedule which is good. The unfortunate thing is that some local individuals going to the island and knowing the schedule speed to make the next trip endangering us on the peninsula as opposed to waiting a short time for the next ferry. There have been more than one death and injuries as a result.

Let me know when you get your issue solved and I will let you know the status of mine (ours). If you haven't visited Washington Island or The Door, please come and do so. Remember there are several ferry trips to the island each day so take your time and enjoy Door Peninsula.
DC
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Deputy Olsen

Thank you for your post. We appreciate all you do to keep the island and the people here safe.

The Meade Family