COVID-19 PUBLIC STATEMENT

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

tkludt

Re: COVID-19 PUBLIC STATEMENT

Post by tkludt »

Sounds like buyer's remorse. It's pretty simple here. The transfer station takes what they are authorized to deal with and charge you a fee for that and they do an outstanding job of keeping the island clean and tidy. If they don't handle it, you make other arrangements, hire a barge, hazmat disposal etc. whatever it takes to clean up a mess.
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Thomas -

Thanks for your input.

I will check all those places out.

Unfortunately, I disagree on the Transfer station doing an outstanding job of keeping the island clean, neat, and tidy. Maybe I should have my eyes checked.

But it’s ok to disagree.

Nobody here should have to find their own way to get rid of waste. That’s why it’s called a community.

No buyers remorse here. Buying this place has been a lifelong goal of mine. I consider this land to be sacred ground. It’s sad To me that others don’t.

I’m just a steward of the land.

Trying to do the best that I can with what I have.

No amount of liens or ordinances will solve this problem.

Sorry again for the eyesore. Stop by sometime.

Brock
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Hi Trish,

Thanks for reaching out. I apologize that it took me so long to get back with you.

Except for the question, -“Do you really think it would be smart to have it open without employees who had to go into quarantine?” - I totally agree with what you have stated.

Never did I Imply or state that the Facility should be open or closed.

For the record, I could not care less what color truck gets in to the Public Facility whenever they want, nor who’s driving it.

I will admit, though -It just looks really fishy - because I was locked out and permanently banned from this facility on August 24 2020 at about 0900 with my beat up old red truck.

What’s even fishier is that nothing like this shows up in the meeting minutes.

Thanks for your input

Brock

P.S. - Glad to hear the employee is over his illness.

I sure miss sitting on my old tires (that aren’t accepted during normal business hours) with my kids playing on the oil barrels, watching said employee chug his beers as he drives by during normal business hours (usually between 4 and 5 pm).
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Brock
IMHO
It is YOUR junk.
Lots of it on the side of the road.
It an eyesore.
I assume that you were smart and factored in the cost of removal of the junk (your nickel, not the Townships) when you negotiated the price of your new land purchase.

There is a barge service that operates out of St. James.
Matt Fogg is reasonable in his business.
Why not use it?

You keep stating there are shortcomings by the local Transfer station employees in dealing with your junk.
They have parameters in which to operate set by others.

As my old friend and favorite Transfer Station employee says, (and they know who they are)
“People just bring too much new crap to this island and expect us to magically get rid of their old crap for next to nothing.”

Transfer Station employees see the island in a completely different way than the rest of us. Give them a break. They are dealing with a situation that is on the verge of getting out of control . They are employees. They do not set policy.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

You said you would support a good plan - check out the Beaver Island Master Plan. I think it’s an amazing plan. A lot of people put in a lot of good hours on it - and they, too would like to see the fruits of their labor pay off someday.

You must be reading me wrong. It’s not just about my junk. It’s about this community.

It’s not about the money.

And yes, you are correct, it is my junk here and I did budget for it. Still have a little left in the budget. I take full responsibility for it.

I’m also taking full time responsibility for the rest of the islands junk. Will you, too?? How come no one else will?

There is a barge and the Foggs are good people. I’ve asked the waste manager, elected township officials, and several committee members to help (as set forth in the Master Plan) me get a quote from them on what it would take.

If this is going to be a Public Waste Management Facility, it needs to a.)meet the needs of the public, or b.) cease Public Ownership.

To prove it’s not about me - I’ll offer $500 when the first barge is scheduled, to a person needing help with removing their little things.

I’ll then wait until every single property owner that wants to has gotten to pay and remove their stuff before I even think about my own.

Mine will be the last eyesore standing, and you will then know (see!) that I put others first.

Thanks again for your input.

Brock

PS - tell your old friend that I didn’t bring any crap. Just a family.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I guess I must not be understanding where the transfer station, public officials or anyone else is responsible to get a quote or make arrangements with a barge for your junk to be removed?

On the mainland you can not just put anything out at the road for the trash company to just pick up, somethings you are responsible to haul yourself to the landfill and I just don't see this as any different. Some items are excepted at the transfer station and some you must haul off island to the land fill. I do see where there are a few people that have a larger amount of "junk" they need removed from their places but not everyone has this problem and being that the transfer station is publicly owned they can not do for one tax payer and not for another.

From your past posts it sounds as if you have used the transfer station a lot so obviously they were able to help with some of your needs but the things they are not able to help you with maybe you want to reach out to the community and see if a group of you want to go in together on a barge run or just contact Fogg's and find out when they are making a trip and have room to take your items, they are very good about working with you this is what many others have been doing on the island in the past, nobody took care of their "Junk" for them they had to make arrangements.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I for one am glad to see some "newer to the island" folks jump into island concerns. Things can always improve. I have watched the Beaver Island Transfer Station through the years and can say they do a good job, and used to be ahead of the mainland recycling centers in service. Things have changed, as recycling centers on the mainland have expanded and it would be great for the island recycling committees to visit places such as Emmett County Recycling or American Waste to see what is available today.

https://www.emmetrecycling.org/ Look through the drop down service which would be a good model to look at. 24 hour drop stations could be expanded as well with the help of a cardboard etc, maybe a couple of these would help .....

https://americanwaste.org/drop-off-recycling

Brock may have more waste than average, and that could be that he is trying to conduct a private business which the island badly needs....

Look outside the fishbowl and you will often find ideas and solutions that improve things on Beaver.
KateL

Post by KateL »

Completely agree Jeff. Thanks for sharing the links.