First Time Visitor - Recs

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JezzeeToms

First Time Visitor - Recs

Post by JezzeeToms »

Hi All,

I am traveling to the island for the first time this coming Thursday.
Hoping to nab a camp site at St. James Campground until Sunday.
We have plans to check out some beaches, explore as much as possible (bringing our car over), and hopefully do a little kayaking with Happy Paddle in the evening on Saturday.
I was also doing a little research and wanted to get some advice on snorkeling any shipwrecks. Is it worth it to charter a boat with Paradise Dive Shop? Or could this be something I rent equipment and do from shore at all? Just wasn't a ton of information, so I wanted to get some feedback.

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for while we are on the island, I would love to hear them.

Thank you!
steveandelaineonbeaver

Re: First Time Visitor - Recs

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

ktaylor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm Try the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce. :D
www.beaverisland.org / 231.448.2505 :D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
BettyS

Post by BettyS »

Yes! Paradise Dive is well worth the trip, weather dependent. Paradise Coffee by the township airport is pleasant, again weather dependent. A walk to Little Sand Bay is beautiful. The museums and Protars House are great.
BradG

Post by BradG »

The Bessie Smith in little Iron Ore bay is in maybe 10' of water and easy snorkeling, but it's in two pieces 100' apart and maybe 150' from shore. A boat would be good. See the Beaver Head lighthouse at the south end too. There are cribs in Iron Ore bay that are fun too. The Nikko, a tug, is between Garden and Hog but pretty deep. Maybe 30-40' but you can see it. There's a wreck in shallow water on Hog too. Enjoy!
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

This tread brings back great memories of our family spending several 4th of Julys on Beaver Island. We are now On The Door as they say here in Wisconsin. Things are slow but opening the right way with caution. Hope all is well across the lake and people are staying safe as visitors return. I would suggest kayaking on the inland lakes to see the loons and swans if they are still there. Also swimming and sunsets on Donegal Bay with a picnic and a bonfire at the picnic building on the bluff. Exploring the Native American burial grounds and hiking trails on Garden Island. A visit to the old lighthouse on Squaw Island or Lady's Island. I can say from experience that you won't want for things to do once you get to Beaver Island. You will only want for more time to do them.

Darby
DC
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Another suggestion just came to mind. You might want to check out the Community Center and the Mormon Print Shop Museum for island information on things to do and see. We found those locations a bit better and friendlier source of information than the Chamber where some of our friends had less than desirable experiences. We haven't been back for a few years so things might have improved. A must see is Mary's Toy Museum. She is a true delight and from our home town of Chicago. I'm sure you will enjoy every experience you have on Beaver Island and want to return for more. Enjoy it all!

Darby
DC