FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sour grapes

Re: FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Post by Sour grapes »

You all are like a bunch of "mean girls". (I bet you even talk amongst yourself and giggle at your "we stuck it to him ".) :roll: There are bigger issues than making fun of someone and beating a not so funny joke to death. Perhaps you should check where your heads are....get a grip boys and grow up. [-X
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I hang my head in shame. Oops, no, I only dropped my rum bottle in my lap. There is not a more deserving recipient of loving accolades on the forum than Retired Chamber Guy.
Or maybe, what goes around comes around?
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Skull&CrossBones
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

I'm not a giggling mean girl in a skirt but have been known to often wear a kilt. Sour grapes might want to join Team Steve and come to his defense that the loss of 127,000 Americans to COVID is as Steve would imply, NBD, and 90% better than April, which is false. I'm going to call it like I see it and that is we have done a terrible job compared to the rest of the world, primarily because of people like Steve believing and spreading false scientific data perpetrated by our President whom he continues to support. I'm not beating a dead joke, I'm remembering 127,000 lives that should still be with us. Steve is RCI and all those who defend him.
Kirk D. McBride
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Don't get your kilts all bunched up!! I was referring to ALL of you, including Steve. Ken, I agree with you 100% on the COVID-19 situation. I think great debates and perspectives are lost when people are disrespectful and name calling. After all Ken, we have a President that does that and it is pathetic. :lol:
esalveter

Post by esalveter »

Maybe we can turn a corner and have something to look forward to.

Years ago, I didn't have much vacation time. Every year that the Fourth of July made a 3 day weekend, I was on Beaver Island. I didn't even know you had a fireworks display at the harbor. I camped on the south end of the island. One Fourth of July, I just happened to be driving down East Side Drive after dark. I spotted fireworks across the water. I found a good place to park and watched. I was seeing five fireworks displays all at once. The biggest fireworks were just above the horizon, the smaller fireworks and the grand finales were just a flicker of light. No sound reached me. It was a unique experience. I did that 2 or 3 years in a row. Then I discovered you had fireworks in town.

Some, or all, of those displays might be cancelled this year, but my plan is to be driving East Side Drive after dark on the Fourth, just in case.
Ed Salveter
Nana

Post by Nana »

=D> good idea Ed!! Maybe more people might get the SAME Idea. Or. They might stay home and poo howwwww
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Am I hallucinating? Thought there was a Mcbride reply here yesterday.
:roll: :?: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Even the left wing Mother Jones understands that the number of cases are going UP and the death rate is going DOWN. In large measure because Docs are better at treating it. Rude doesn't change facts.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... going-down

24 HOURS AGO
If COVID-19 Cases Are Going Up, Why Is the Death Rate Going Down?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=covid+dea ... 4632A8315D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Medical Examiner COVID Cases Are Rising. COVID Deaths Are Declining. Why? By Shannon Palus

“Cases of coronavirus are increasing in 20 states, with dramatic spikes found in places from Florida to California. Even so, overall deaths due to coronavirus are on the decline in the U.S. Part of that is thanks to how much better things are finally getting in New York, the former national epicenter of the pandemic. But even in some places where cases are spiking, the number of people checking into hospitals and dying of the coronavirus is actually stable, or even going down. What’s going on?” https://slate.com/technology/2020/06/co ... ained.html
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Fish Camp

Post by Fish Camp »

There's no coronavirus in Rainbow Brite land. What's all the fuss?

https://cartoondvdset.com/WebRoot/Store ... RiTE_X.jpg
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Pirate -
You are correct I did post a reply yesterday. Briefly it was in reference to Steve West being like Donald Trump, a name calling bully as evidenced by his referring to our Governor as,
"Wretched Gretchen", because he disagreed with her COVID life saving measures for residents of Michigan and Beaver Island. It may have been removed because I possibly misspelled ignoramus, nincompoop or buffoon.
Kirk D. McBride
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Keep watching and listening to fake news Ken. I am just curious if all you liberal democrats that believed in russian collusion, ukrainegate, and on and on when and if the dems win and the corrupt media continues to lie to you all about the great job they are doing when they dont will you believe that nonsense also?????
AEW

Post by AEW »

My State:
Population 4,900,000.
33,717 cases since January.
Total of 0.68% population infected in past 5 months.
Apx 900 deaths = 0.018% of population.
Unemployment rate:
May 2019 3.0%
May 2020 9.4%

Michigan:
Population 10,045,000.
69,329 Cases since January.
0.69% of population has been infected since January.
6,134 deaths = 0.061% of population
Unemployment rate:
May 2019 4.3%
May 2020 21.4%

Last weekend my wife and I enjoyed a live concert at our town square. The weekend prior we had a huge classic car show that featured over 100 amazing vehicles. About 300 to 400 people were there for both events. We had food trucks, little kids and old people dancing in the street. There was lots of happiness, laughing and joy. All of the towns shops and restaurants were open and bustling with smiling friendly faces. It was a fantastic time.

We took some reasonable precautions early on but safely reopened our community and economy a while ago. People are still individually taking responsibility for their health as they choose. Businesses are re-hiring like crazy and its great seeing people get back to work. Our unemployment rate was 3% pre-covid but has dropped from last months high of 11.5% to 7.3% already. Michigan, under it horrible economic illiterate leaders in Lansing is 21%.

We have 90,000 people in our county and have about 280 total cases of covid in the past 5 months. We have not had a single death and only a small percentage of those infected had to stay in the hospital. My wife's co-worker and his 6 months pregnant wife got it. They both were sick at home for about six days and then felt fine. Their experience is what the vast majority of infected people go through.

Our community is planning a large Independence Day fireworks display. People are smart enough to take precautions to protect themselves and their families. We cant wait to see the show!

Michigan has a higher percentage of infected people dying than many other States. When you combine that truth with the extremely high unemployment rate and economic devastation being inflicted upon the small business and citizens of Michigan, it is clear that Frau Witmer and her ilk in Lansing have no idea what they are doing. Sad to see so many people needlessly suffer.
AE Wirth
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Adam -
You know I've always liked you and as a fellow vet have respected your service. I can't argue with your numbers but I think a couple of key points to consider are that the virus hit the Detroit area early and hard. Cases spread from that epicenter to the terrible numbers we have seen and continue to suffer with throughout the state. The professionals here have said from the beginning that we will never know how many people our stay safe actions have saved, unfortunately, only how many we have lost. The key question is how many more would we have lost if we hadn't put the orders in place and continue to have in place? I think we now can see the states that ignored them and opened early are now paying the price in loss of life with many governors admitting their mistake. I know the price of unemployment is hard to bear but will eventually come to an end. The price of losing a loved one ,which some of us have suffered, is unbearable and for eternity.
You can join Steve West and other bullies in criticizing our governor by mocking with your name calling because freedom of expression is what you and I fought for as service men. You end your editorial with "Sad to see how many people are needless suffering". Please understand, suffering is when you lose your bother and sister within the same week and with no chance to say good bye or I love you.
Kirk D. McBride
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Well said K.D.

Here is a post from the Navy. I know the source is reliable. A Naval Officer and Doctor showed this to me today. Seems the Navy is taking a step back. I also know that an Army base has had a big surge in numbers as well.

It feels like this may be the calm before the storm. I hope we are wrong and the naysayers tell us we over worried and over reacted. My instincts tell me different.

I wish people would stop the name calling and trying to belittle others too. Just remember Adam, Jeff and Steve...K.D. is right. If you lose a loved one your perspective may change.

Many businesses are learning to adapt. I Will be the first to say many have been hurt. But many have also learned to be better business owners and are running and diversifying thier businesses to better serve the clients and employees.

The unemployment rate is of course high...the extra $600 a week for people to stay home sealed that deal. Getting people to work is nearly impossible for many businesses. The statistics are not regulated or controlled environments. Thus is an ever evolving issue and as the CDC knows more and more testing is available the statistics will change.

Life as we know has changed and a new way of life has emerged. The biggest epidemic and elephant in the room is the ever increasing suicide rate. We can learn for our differences, and we can respect each other's opinions and still disagree.
34031.jpeg
34031.jpeg (370.64 KiB) Viewed 1959849 times
34032.jpeg
34032.jpeg (345.26 KiB) Viewed 1959847 times