Gosh!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BradG

Gosh!

Post by BradG »

I had this whole pile of zingers I didn’t get to use. I guess I’ll put them with my unused New Years Resolutions for later. I know I should get out of the house more. The suckers are running btw.

Brad
BradG

Re: Gosh!

Post by BradG »

Hey, it was fun while it lasted and maybe some thoughts were provoked

Brad.
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

GE WZ I bean havin fun. Conservative Richie must be getting into more control from the top? Perhaps he will advise?
That women from MI is getting plenty of national publicity – most of it bad. :D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

ktaylor wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 am Steve. Quit watching fox. She has a 70 percent approval rating from Michiganders. You better help Lynsey Graham as he is losing his followers.
Fact Check...

Source 1:
"A poll released Monday from the Detroit Regional Chamber and the Glengariff Group found that 57% of Michiganders approved of Whitmer's handling of the crisis compared to 37% who disapproved"

Source 2:
https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_approval_ratings

70% may be a tad of an exaggeration. The second source has some great info on all Governors. The highest ranks are all Republicans...interesting! 4 of 5 lowest are...well I think you can figure that out.
steveandelaineonbeaver

Sour grapes wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm
ktaylor wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 am Steve. Quit watching fox. She has a 70 percent approval rating from Michiganders. You better help Lynsey Graham as he is losing his followers.
Fact Check...

Source 1:
"A poll released Monday from the Detroit Regional Chamber and the Glengariff Group found that 57% of Michiganders approved of Whitmer's handling of the crisis compared to 37% who disapproved"

Source 2:
https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_approval_ratings

70% may be a tad of an exaggeration.
:D And in a rapid decline. Make America Work Again. :D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

ktaylor wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm Women approval rate is 64 percent. Sour Grapes needs to quit fact checking. They are my benchmark as they are much smarter than men.
#menslifematters #votingforall #70doesnotequal64 #justbecausekensaysdoesnotmakeittrue #factsmatter

FACT CHECK:
The article states that 64%woman approve of her handling of COVID. Big difference from an overall rating. Facts matter! That is not a 70% approval. Men vote too.

"More women than men approved of Whitmer's management of the crisis, 64 percent to 49 percent"
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

The retired English and Math teacher here needs to speak up, even though I seldom do so.

One survey on one specific topic does not mean anything other than what that specific topic was about. I think that bickering over who approved something more than another doesn't deny the fact that approval of COVID handling was present. (That's the retired English teacher.)

Percentages can not add up to more than 100% when discussing a topic. (64+49?) (That's the retired math teacher.)

Gosh, the writer here has two serious objections. One is the need to communicate effectively. The second is to verify, fact check, and be specific, and make sure that the numbers are what they really are.

Now, if you want to talk about conspriracies, we can really begin to argue.

Joe Moore
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

medic5740 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:04 pm The retired English and Math teacher here needs to speak up, even though I seldom do so.

One survey on one specific topic does not mean anything other than what that specific topic was about. I think that bickering over who approved something more than another doesn't deny the fact that approval of COVID handling was present. (That's the retired English teacher.)

Percentages can not add up to more than 100% when discussing a topic. (64+49?) (That's the retired math teacher.)

Gosh, the writer here has two serious objections. One is the need to communicate effectively. The second is to verify, fact check, and be specific, and make sure that the numbers are what they really are.

Now, if you want to talk about conspriracies, we can really begin to argue.

Joe Moore
Joe, agree almost 100%The point was that saying someone has a 70% approval is ridiculous. The article is not implying 64 and 49 equal 100. The article is saying 69% of woman approve and 49% of men. Two separate groups, two separate polls.. There are many factors that go into play. Outliers being one. Different theories is certainly a topic of interest for many! Terrifying too.
BradG

Post by BradG »

Oops! This reminds me of when I burned old Al’s shed at the house. The flames were 30-40’ high and I’m standing there with a garden hose that would have been as effective as my bladder in putting out the fire. I didn’t know what I was starting. Enjoy guys, I’m going back to Netflix and YouTube.
On a more serious note, I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet with the virus. Opening too soon may result in what my duck carving teacher used to say. “ I wish you hadn’t have done that.”

Brad
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Brad I agree with you and the Governor. Too soon. Let's hope she extends. Not interested in being the experiment.
steveandelaineonbeaver

“…..I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet with the virus.”

An interesting opinion from one well qualified to have one. Perhaps if the MI Gov had different plans for the three counties with 80% of the problem and the rest of the state????? Other large states have handled things differently. How about youthful healthy folks – Make America Work Again and those of us in danger for age and health reasons stay cooped up.

She blew it and her declining poll numbers attests to it.

Orange (R) Man Derangement Syndrome sometimes causes a lack of clear thinking – right Ken? :D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
BradG

Post by BradG »

Steve, you make it too easy! The virus pays no attention to polls or public opinion. Your orange man blew it and we need to pay attention to people like Dr. Fauci who have some expertise. Ain’t gonna be no economy if you ain’t got no people.
steveandelaineonbeaver

Life is different for well off retired folks like Brad, Ken & Me
Folks NEED to get back to work! NOW!
https://time.com/5833008/us-unemployment-coronavirus
Time - “No Income. Major Medical Bills. What Life Is Like for Millions of Americans Facing Financial Ruin Because of the Pandemic”
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Adam Richards

Post by Adam Richards »

Hey as long as we're on the topic - - does anyone have any baseball gloves they'd like to sell?

Whoops - - I'm supposed to put the song the buy sell and trade forum. Oh well. Guess I'll just leave it here for a moment.

No, like for real. I'm looking to purchase some baseball gloves - - or I guess maybe they're called mitts. Like adult size.
Adam Richards

Post by Adam Richards »

Hey as long as we're on the topic - - does anyone have any baseball gloves they'd like to sell?

Whoops - - I'm supposed to put this on the buy sell and trade forum. Oh well. Guess I'll just leave it here for a moment.

No, like for real. I'm looking to purchase some baseball gloves - - or I guess maybe they're called mitts. Like adult size.