Spring Visit

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Re: Spring Visit

Post by BI Pirate »

I agree with Andy that the township emergency service boards most likely do not currently have the authority to PREVENT travel to or from the island but they can go a long ways in discouraging it by having the boat co, airlines, Chamber, rentals and others publishing on websites and other places a strong worded and consistent DISCOURAGEMENT from travel by visitors until the all clear bell tolls, hoping the one for whom the bell tolls doesn't ring first.
:idea: :?: :!:
Skull&CrossBones
tkludt

Post by tkludt »

Mackinaw Island is in a similar environment as Beaver Island with the same state rules applying. However their community has taken a much stronger approach discouraging tourists and those not permanent residents. I believe it is their chamber website that discourages and proclaims only one restaurant open and for residents only. Seems like prudent actions. I contacted our governor's office a few days ago requesting that she look into Beaver Island temporarily being limited to full time residents only because of our physical rural nature and extremely limited health services. I've not received a reply or call but then again I didn't begin my note by trash talking those who are trying to help our country survive this ordeal. If you want to chime in to her there's a direct link to the govenor and most of her staff on mich.gov/coronavirus. Tom Kludt
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I am reposting what was posted March 20th, there has been many posting on this forum and on the township websites and I am not sure where else. I might be a good idea if the Chamber would think about adding these posts to their website as well.

Beaver Island Emergency Services Authority
Public Statement regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Last Updated: March 20, 2020

To Beaver Island full-time residents, seasonal residents, families, businesses, and visitors:

Beaver Island should not be considered a “safe haven” for those seeking to avoid the Coronavirus. On the contrary, Coronavirus cases are likely to occur on Beaver Island, and the consequences to those on the Island could be more devastating than in mainland locations with access to medical resources and supplies. The Island is home to numerous individuals with compromised immune systems, as well as many aging and elderly residents who are at greatest risk.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) has now been identified in most areas of the U.S., including northern Michigan. It is highly contagious, and is especially dangerous to those with compromised immune systems. As a result, health officials are discouraging travel of any kind, and local health providers strongly recommend against travel to Beaver Island. Beyond the imminent threat of exposure from those traveling in from other parts of the state and country, the Island lacks the medical resources and facilities necessary to provide care to those who may be affected

Unfortunately, this will impact the plans of those who normally return to Beaver Island in the spring, as well as family members wishing to visit Island relatives, and other visitors. Island residents may encounter a delay in obtaining essential supplies, and travel on or off the Island is discouraged. Our Island businesses and services are forced to take special precautions to limit potential exposure and transmission of illness.

For those who must travel to Beaver Island, including those residing on the Island who leave and plan to return, it is essential to take all of the following precautions for self-isolation:
• Abide by all COVID-19 precautions established by charter and commercial transportation companies serving Beaver Island.
• Avoid exposure to other persons at the airports, harbor/marina, and all other points of access. Avoid sharing vehicles and/or riding in others’ vehicles, where the virus can easily be transmitted.
• Upon arrival, please plan to self-isolate by remaining on your private premises for no fewer than 14 days. Like elsewhere in Michigan, our food service establishments are unable to provide dine-in accommodations, by order of the Governor’s Office, until COVID-19 precautions are lifted statewide. At time of this release Dalwhinnie and the Shamrock the are providing take-out and/or delivery service with limited hours. McDonough’s Market, the Station and Power’s Hardware remain open.
• If you have signs or symptoms of flu-like illness, including fever, cough, congestion, nausea, diarrhea, shortness of breath, and/or body aches and pains, consult your physician immediately and before any travel. Air and boat transportation providers serving Beaver Island have established COVID-19 response plans, and bide by all recommendations from CDC and local health officials. As always, all transportation to and from the island is dictated by the weather resulting in days when travel is just not possible.

The Beaver Island Rural Health Center will continue to operate. Anyone needing medical attention is asked to call the Health Center (231.448.2275) first, no walk-ins will be accepted. ALL patients will be evaluated over the phone by the provider with on-site visits scheduled for those with acute illnesses or urgent needs. Testing for COVID-19 is available for those presenting pertinent symptoms.

If you are returning to the Island, please follow the CDC guidelines and self-isolate for 14 days. After 14 days continue to practice social distancing, wash hands frequently, and avoid non-essential travel.

If you are already on Beaver Island and feel that you, or someone else in your family, party or household, are experiencing flu-like symptoms, remain isolated in place (i.e., in your home or cottage) and contact the Health Center for further instructions. Avoid contact with all other persons. If you experience an emergency requiring urgent medical attention and/or are in respiratory distress, call 9-1-1. Please alert the dispatcher if anyone in your party or household has flu-like symptoms so that EMS responders can don appropriate personal protective equipment before entering.

Travel and self-isolation precautions will remain in effect for Beaver Island until they are lifted statewide by health officials and state government.

We will update this statement periodically as appropriate.

These websites provide guidelines for dealing with the current health emergency:
Local – Beaver Island Emergency Services Authority http://www.peainetwp.org/government_dep ... hority.php
Regional – Health Department of Northwest Michigan http://www.nwhealth.org/
State - Michigan Department of Health & Human Services https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus
National – Centers for Disease Control & Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/

Kathleen McNamara, Supervisor
St James Township
Phone: 231.448.2014
mcnamara.stjamestwp.bi@gmail.com

William Kohls, Supervisor
Peaine Township
Phone: 231.448.2389
peainetownship@gmail.com
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Tom - The Beaver Island Transportation Authority (BITA) was formed in 1993 by the State of Michigan's Department of Transportation (MDOT) to meet the needs of the traveling public between Beaver Island and Charlevoix. BITA took possession of the M/V Emerald Isle in 1997 with a 90% State ownership. I recommend they should be the organization to work with in contacting the State or Governor's office. They should be able to obtain an order regarding protecting the safety of the public and crew while working through this COVID 19 crisis. Bob Tidmore is the Chairperson and Mary Cook the Executive Director. If you go to Beaver Island Transportation Authority it should direct you to their website for further information. At the least, I believe they owe Beaver Island and the public an explanation as to the precautions they are taking to protect us.
Kirk D. McBride
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

They are not, as of right now, allowing passengers on the boat until May 1st so I feel that limits the risk through the boat, as of right now the only way anyone would get here is by plane.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Very proactive for the boat not taking passengers until May first. I think the concern is that the virus will still be very active on May 1 and what precautions will be taken at that time. Should there not be some advisory to potential passengers at this time? I think many people will be assuming that May first comes and all is back to normal at that time. Models that I have seen indicate that for Michigan the peak might be toward the end of April or first part of May. I think caution is prudent when dealing with a deadly unknown.
Be well, stay well.
Kirk D. McBride
JFPowers

Re: Viruses

Post by JFPowers »

VIruses are extremely difficult things to contain and stop. This virus has developed from a small area of China four months ago to circling the globe.

I think back to 4-5 years ago when we had an outbreak of Canine Distemper in Wildlife in Northern Michigan. Cases appeared in coyotes and raccoons and they occurred both on Beaver Island and in Charlevoix County. These cases were confirmed by experts. In all of that time I saw one puppy in east Jordan that had Canine Distemper. It puzzles me today how the virus appeared in both places despite no obvious vector for transmission. Did a raccoon ride the ferry and transmit it? Did someones dog transmit it and then it established itself in wildlife? It is not known to be transmitted by birds.

The fact is this virus in particular is an unbelieveable thing to contain. And this virus will be here for years, and thus it will come in many waves.

Now this virus is showing up in Tigers at the Bronx Zoo with respiratory symptoms, it has crossed into dogs and cats although dogs do not seem to be symptomatic. We are in for some very difficult times trying to contain it. This will take long term strategies that help to control the virus and also to allow some semblance of normalcy to return to life.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

I think that we should encourage people to be safe and help them with the social distancing and safety guidelines. But we will have to get back to it soon and the order does state that....

Individuals may also travel:

(1) To return to a home or place of residence from outside this state.

(2) To leave this state for a home or residence elsewhere.

(3) To travel between two residences in this state.

(4) As required by law enforcement or a court order, including the transportation of children pursuant to a custody agreement

Please do not discourage our friends, neighbors, and family from coming especially when they were so responsible that they let you know exactly how they were following all the safety procedures they possibly could.
burton
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I think the way Don was treated by a couple people on this thread is horrible. He laid out a perfectly safe plan to come to his Island cabin that he has had for many years. It is fine to voice your opinions about his visit but to be down right mean to a man that was not intending to do anyone any harm is complete bullshit. A rich man with an airplane, really you sound like a little baby with your post JMedlin. And 68camaro you would call me a pretentious asshole once on a public forum and I would get your address and pay you a visit social distancing or not. Just mean words to a great man who doesn’t deserve your childish bullshit posts. It is people like you that drive good people away from the Island with just pure stupidity. You could have been nicer with your concerns.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Well said Islandliving.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

islandliving wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 pm I think the way Don was treated by a couple people on this thread is horrible. He laid out a perfectly safe plan to come to his Island cabin that he has had for many years. It is fine to voice your opinions about his visit but to be down right mean to a man that was not intending to do anyone any harm is complete bullshit. A rich man with an airplane, really you sound like a little baby with your post JMedlin. And 68camaro you would call me a pretentious asshole once on a public forum and I would get your address and pay you a visit social distancing or not. Just mean words to a great man who doesn’t deserve your childish bullshit posts. It is people like you that drive good people away from the Island with just pure stupidity. You could have been nicer with your concerns.
Wahh! Baby here, but lemme get this straight, islandliving. Are you seriously pretending to take the high ground while name calling and threatening to go to someone else’s property and violate the social distancing guidelines for a physical confrontation??!