2020 Board of Review

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

2020 Board of Review

Post by Pam Grassmick »

On Friday, March 13th, the Peaine Township Board of Review meets from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. at the Peaine Township Hall. We just received our 2020 Assessment Change Notice for our east side home. Talk about throwing salt on an open wound, shoreline owners will need to spend tens of thousands to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars protecting their homes from shoreline erosion in 2020. Why the increase when Peaine Township has a savings account balance in their General Fund of $486,751.00? This General Fund balance is in addition to all the savings amounts in designated funds. Obviously, no need of extra taxes except to be kept in a savings account. The threat from Lake Michigan devouring private property has been discussed regularly since last fall at township meetings. This is the one time that every taxpayer in the State of Michigan has the right to appeal their current value on any property they own to their local Board of Review in March either in person or by mail. Letters of Appeal must be mailed to Assessor at 810 Cottageview Drive, Ste. 301, Traverse City, Michigan 49684 AND BE RECEIVED by 3/11/20. Attached is a photo of our once 30-40 ft “beach” which presently has water lapping at the old deteriorating seawall.
Attachments
IMG_2487.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg (699.81 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
McGrass
Peaine Township

Re: 2020 Board of Review

Post by Peaine Township »

Residents of Peaine Township will undoubtedly be happy to learn that township taxes have not increased. In fact, taxes levied by the township have decreased.
  • In the current fiscal year which runs from April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020, the Peaine Board levied taxes of 10.4172 mills – a 7.0% decrease from 11.1963 mills in the prior year.
  • The decrease in the millage levied was partially offset by an increase in the aggregate taxable value of properties located in the township, but total tax dollars collected also decreased by 4.5%.
Residents of Peaine Township will also be pleased to know that the township is not sitting on large sums of surplus cash.
  • In a typical year, the township collects 75% of its revenues (property taxes) during the first quarter of the calendar year. As a result, cash balances are currently at or near the high point for the year.
  • These cash balances must fund operations for the following nine months.
  • The budget for the upcoming fiscal year has not been completed, but total expenditures and transfers from the general fund in the current fiscal year will total approximately $340,000.
    The township must also maintain a cash reserve to provide for contingencies.
  • Note, too, that Peaine Township no longer maintains large, surplus cash balances in its restricted funds. Rather, the township maintains a single “rainy day surplus” in its general fund that can be transferred to other funds, if needed.
Residents of Peaine Township may also be interested to learn that assessed value of properties located in Peaine Township are established by an objective, data-driven methodology and further that the township board has no direct role in determining property tax assessments.
  • The board hires an assessor and also appoints a handful of township residents to the board of review. By statute, the township supervisor serves as a nonvoting recording secretary to the board of review. That is the full extent of the Township Board’s involvement.
  • Township assessor works closely with Charlevoix County Equalization and the assessing process is subject to periodic audit by the Michigan Department of Treasury. The most recent Treasury audit on the Township’s assessing functions did not reveal any deficiencies.
  • By statute, the assessor employs a data driven methodology to determine assessed values.
  • The good news is that property values on Beaver Island are increasing and, as a direct result, assessed values are also increasing.
  • This does not, however, mean there not exceptions to the general increase in property values and applicable statute provides an opportunity for property owners to appeal their assessments. Please see https://pocketsense.com/taxable-vs-asse ... 99773.html for additional information.
By statute, the board of review must be available for 12 hours and the board welcomes property owners to make appeals or just stop by and ask questions. The Peaine Township board of review will meet at the Peaine Township Hall from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm on Friday, March 13, 2020. Late appeals may be forwarded to my attention at the Peaine Township Hall, 36825 Kings Highway, Beaver Island MI 49782. You may also scan/email appeals to me at peainetownship@gmail.com as late as Friday.

My thanks to township assessor Sally Akerley and the Peaine Township board of review!
(No one should have to be locked up with me for 12 hours!)
BradG

Post by BradG »

Our assessed value was increased by $3600 this year at the same time we lost 30’ of beach, four sections of walkway, our stairs and had significant damage to our breakwall that we’re replacing in the spring. We’re fortunate compared to our neighbors who are suffering even greater damage. In what sense is an increased assessment justified? It seems the value of the property has actually declined. The fact that the assessment can be raised doesn’t mean it should be. We plan on going to the meeting and voicing our objections.

Brad
Peaine Township

Hey, Brad . . .

Thanks for the heads up. Sally Akerley (township assessor) is an experienced professional and she can thoroughly explain the assessing functions and nuances in great detail. At the end of the day, the board of review wants to be sure that assessed values are correct and the board will be fully receptive to your concerns.

The State of Michigan has enacted numerous laws and the Department of Treasury has adopted complex regulations, all of which are enforced by the State tax commission, to provide assurance that properties across the state are assessed in a fair and consistent manner. Despite your allegation that, “The fact that the assessment can be raised doesn’t mean it should be” is, well, let’s just say it’s inconsistent with those laws and regulations.

We will look forward to seeing you on Friday.

Note: Peaine residents can access their assessment information from the township website. www.peainetwp.org/ Go to Useful Links and select assessment data.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Good luck to you Pam and Brad, you might as well go beat your heads on the beautiful oak timbers in your home if you think you will get anywhere with the Peaine Township board of reviews. Sounds like they are already against you and you haven't even set your foot in the door. I tried for years to get my taxes adjusted to a fair value and always denied. When Sally Akerly took over my taxes took the biggest jump ever. She was even measuring my falling down fences to put a value on them. But the township hires theses people they classify as professionals and can't do no wrong. Just like EMS Brian who totaled my vehicle by obvious negligent and reckless behavior. In the real world he would have been investigated and probably lost his job. Here his employers turned there heads away and paid me double the blue book value on the vehicle to make the whole thing die. Again good luck with your case at the board of review. My Dad used to always say to me, you can't fight city hall.
Peaine Township

Hey, John . . .

I don’t recall seeing you at the board of review and I assume that your differences with Sally Akerley precede my 8-year tenure as supervisor. Accordingly, I am not familiar with the prevailing facts and circumstances. (I wouldn’t I discuss those issues on the Forum if I was aware of the facts/circumstances.)

My general understanding is that the prior assessor was unable to bring the function into compliance with State requirements. Sally was hired to fix the problem(s) which she has done. I would be surprised if there were no conflicts as she addressed the numerous deficiencies.

I note, too, that your ongoing feud with the prior assessor was no secret to anyone who would take the time to listen to you or Beth.

During my tenure, there have been few appeals, clean audits and no complaints. This is not to say that everyone gets what they want. Assessing properties is not an arbitrary process; Sally and the board of review have limited discretion. Taxpayers receive due respect and a thorough explanation of the relevant considerations. Legitimate, well-documented requests are carefully considered by the board of review.
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Bill, Bill, Bill …. There you go again talking about facts instead of feelings. :D Best wishes from the sunny south.
Steve
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020