WTH

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

James K Otis

Re: WTH

Post by James K Otis »

[quote="Sour grapes" post_id=39940 time=1567450400 user_id

What I would like to see is the BIBCO, and the airlines take a hard look at how they can increase tourism by collaboration with the Chamber and local business owners to fill the seats and get people here. It is a tough balance. I did not buy in TC or Mackinaw Island for a reason. I enjoy the quiet.
[/quote]

Great point the BIBCO leadership has fought this for many years..........
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Nice to see you reappear Otis...I suspect not a coincidence. :roll:

The truth is fluid...
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

The Beaver Island Transportation Authority meeting scheduled for January 14, 2020, was canceled but the Ridership Data from Beaver Island Boat Co. is in for 2019.
Total ridership for 2018, was 30,558, ( 2nd all time low) for both boats. The ridership data for 2019, is down another 4% from 2018, at 29,427; down from 46,729, in 2000. It will be interesting to see the plan by both BITA and BIBCo to turn the trend around in 2020.
See page 3, of this posting for annual ridership data from the year 2000.
Kirk D. McBride
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Perhaps the numbers can be influenced by the weather...
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Excellent observation! Maybe NOAA can pull BITA and BIBCO out of the 20 year downward spiral of declining ridership.
:roll: 8) :lol:
Skull&CrossBones
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

His observation was 18 to 19. :roll:
stardust

Post by stardust »

The cost of a round trip on the ferry is almost the same price as a round trip on the plane. So is there any data on how many people traveled by plane to the island???
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Alrighty then. Let's go with, 'the weather is the cause', theory for 2018 to 2019 decline in ridership. Going with that premise, it would appear we have had bad weather each successive year since 2000 as ridership has declined each year. Instead of BITA and BIBCO developing a plan that can be shared with the public to reassure us, let's just hope for sunny weather in 2020 will make the numbers go up. Not to rain on Sour Grapes but I'm hoping for a plan on how the two are going to turn things around before the State says 'THAT'S IT!' They've already told BITA "no new boat". How long before the State says no more financial subsidy for a business and island that has been in steady decline for 20 years?
#-o ](*,) #-o
Skull&CrossBones
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Not looking for a debate or speculation, just facts. [-X :roll: [-X
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Too slow and too long of a trip during peak seasons when it matters the most, especially considering the 1.5 hour pre boarding requirement in Charlevoix. I was told "we had a faster boat before it didn't work".... I asked when, and they said in the 70's, different times....

Not pet friendly

Too expensive when compared to air travel

Average or below average customer service

......All of the same things I told the board when I served on it `15 years ago. I was told I was wrong then.... The ridership bears out a different judgement.

And the same reason it doesn't work is the same reason they aren't running at least a little on mild winters such as this, it is government funded to the point that they frankly don't care enough about the island's overall vitality as a whole.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm not posting for speculation or a debate but hopefully for public awareness. As far as facts, the numbers over the past 20 years support the fact that the Boat Company is in serious decline which will have significant ramifications for the entire island. I commend Mr. Mcbride and Doc Powers for speaking out.
:( 8-[ :(
Skull&CrossBones