GullHarbor is not a DragStrip

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Batman

GullHarbor is not a DragStrip

Post by Batman »

Batman wrote: ↑
For the life of me why people are in a hurry to turn around and come back is beyond me . I know there are houses that are rented and some of those renters think they need to drive 40mph down this road are gonna find out what a asshole I can be if they hit one of my loved ones or our pets. SLOW down IDIOTS!!!
medic5740

Re: GullHarbor is not a DragStrip

Post by medic5740 »

Yes, I second that motion, but not only on Gull Harbor Road, but on all the roads. I try to go down this road at last once each day, and I never, ever, ever get faster than fifteen mph, and sometimes that's too fast. Bring your waders and do some wading. The water is beautiful, the silence is worth the trip, and you might see something instead of trees zipping by your windows.

Butch, the red Intrepid makes them slow down when I take the road to check on Gull Harbor.

Hope they listen and slow down. They might actually see some of the natural surroundings that make the trip special.

Joe Moore
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

Yup, I’ve nearly been wiped out several times now this year on West Side Rd. Drivers need to slow down, this includes the haul trucks and road trucks please.
Howard Kadison

Post by Howard Kadison »

Amen,
Taking a walk is dangerous.
From your neighbor,
Howard
pdevers

Post by pdevers »

Agreed; Kings Highway on the south edge of the village is a 25 zone, not double that!
AND, I nearly was run over this week by someone in a huge hurry in front of the bank.

The reasons for being in a rush are on the other side of the lake, 32 miles away.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm off island right now but I have witnessed that people are driving faster and faster on the island each year. Not only faster but with reckless or maybe it is wreckless abandon? There should be a law enforcement number we can call to report such drivers. It doesn't help to bitch about it or put it on the forum for law-abiding people to read. It's our island to police when we see things that are wrong or dangerous. See something, say something, make the call. Maybe one of our deputies who do a fine job but can't be everywhere or see everything could give us a number to report the hot footed eejits. #-o #-o #-o
Skull&CrossBones
I'm Just The Messenger

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

The non emergency # is 448.2700.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Thank you IJTM! Have it on my speed dial, pun intended, for when I return. =D> =D> =D>
Skull&CrossBones
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Someone was drag racing last night in or near town it ruins everything about this place folks.....
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I just got a text from a friend on the island advising me, "not so fast with the not so fast". He tells me that all rural roads, paved or dirt, on Beaver Island are 55 miles per hour unless posted otherwise and that might include the Car Wash road, Gull Harbor. Thus all roads outside the harbor area are 55 miles per hour. Meaning the Donegal Bay Road from the end of the black top to Donegal Bay is legally 55 miles per hour according to Michigan law, Charlevoix County Sheriff and the State Police. The entire Eastside and Westside roads are 55 miles per hour along with all dirt roads leading to them. All roads within Port of St. James are 55 miles per hour to include Allen's Lakeview along Donegal Bay passed the public beach and all those cottages and homes. This includes all vehicles, cars, trucks of all sizes and weight, along with motorcycles. WTH is with that? I hope he's wrong but fear he is not being formerly in law enforcement. Maybe we need to look at the laws, not those who we think are breaking them.
#-o [-X ](*,)
Skull&CrossBones
Deputy Joe

Post by Deputy Joe »

Recently there have been a number of posts on the forum about driving and speed limits. If you are driving faster than the road conditions allow whether it's posted or not you can be citied for unsafe speed "Basic Speed Law".
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Deputy Joe, I'm sure many appreciate your input but it doesn't provide much clarity to the issue, at least for me. "Conditions" are somewhat of a gray area. Snowy road conditions for a person from Florida are much different than to a person from the UP. Road or driving conditions for a 67 year old are perceived much differently than by a 17 year old. Sounds like what you are saying is that there are no official speed limits on BI other than determined by the driver's perception of conditions at the time. Unfortunately the term "driving faster than conditions" usually appear well after the fact in an article reporting accidental injuries or death, many times to innocent people.
Can you make it real simple and clear for a one eyed, rum running pirate, who often finds himself on the wrong side of an issue or the law? Given good conditions, as determined by you and everyone else, what is the legal speed LIMIT on all BI, unposted rural roads according to Michigan Law? I'm being told and as posted on the bottom of the Michigan Department of Transportation road map, "Michigan Law, Speed Limits: Non-freeway statewide speed limit unless otherwise posted, 55mph". True or False? :? :? :?
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Michigan Basic Speed Law, MCL 257-627, appears to provide drivers with a wide range of judgement for speed based on the driver's perception of conditions. Again, snow conditions for a Floridian and snow conditions for a Yooper can be miles per hour apart. Just trying to figure out if the speed limit on BI rural roads is 55mph as stated in MCL 257-628, Michigan Vehicle Code: "The statewide maximum speed limit on all UNPOSTED highways at 55mph - gravel roads are included". If so for BI, would hope the township boards along with local law enforcement will step up and take action in the interest of safety for all before another tragedy such as the Car Wash road one of a few years ago. We know the conditions of our roads better than anyone and appropriate speed limits should be posted and not left to discretion. Just a one eyed, rum running pirate's opinion from Key West here to scatter a mate's ashes at sea; ain't no one in a hurry down here. :| :| :|
Skull&CrossBones
Batman

just because you can drive 55 should you

Post by Batman »

Whats funny about it is you have the curves that are just plain dangerous to be going fast through then drive a 1/8 0f a mile to turn around in a private drive way and rush back there is no place to go its a road to no nowhere. but gull harbor has only 3 houses out of the 9 house on the road that are not rented and a-lot of the problem are renters and the owners need to tell them to slow down common sense isn't so common but there are locals that do it too so im thinking a camera HA HA but its a idea
I do have one or two or three
sscreven

Post by sscreven »

I spend a lot of time in our yard near the road, Allen's Lakeview Rd., and have witnessed some drivers moving at a dangerously fast speed. If a child or animal should wander into the road, it would be impossible to stop in time to avoid hitting them. Please remember there are lots of people living in this area during the summer, and please slow down.