Beaver Island Transit Hours

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dyanne Tracy

Beaver Island Transit Hours

Post by Dyanne Tracy »

NEW POLICY
You will need to make your reservations at least 24 hours in advance. You can call dispatch at the number below or you can make your reservation on-line.

Use the toll-free number between 7am and 5pm M-F:
1-844-792-6900 to make your reservation.

Or try the on-line reservation system 24/7:
http://67.220.100.109:52147/cctransit/
Set up your Profile one time and then schedule your rides thereafter. Auto-fill will assist you, and the system remembers reoccurring rides. You can schedule rides on the Beaver Island side or the Charlevoix County side.

October-April hours:
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00am-3:00pm

We look forward to serving you and your guests this season.

Seniors (60 and over) Free (Paid for by Charlevoix County Commission on Aging)
Adults (19-59) $2.00
Disabled Reduced Fare (on file in your profile) $1.00
Youth (3-18) $1.50
Youth School Discount (if coming or going to school) $1.00
Child Free (under 3) Free
Judi_M

Re: Beaver Island Transit Hours

Post by Judi_M »

wow--this is certainly a small window of opportunity for using transit! are they cutting hours on the mainland too?
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

If you live on the mainland there is on-demand (call for a ride) service from 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM five days a week (60 hours).
They have Friday and Saturday evening service from 6:00 PM until 11:00 PM (10 hours)
And Saturday 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM by reservation only (7 hours)
The mainland residents have transit service available 77 hours per week with 70 of those on-demand,

Beaver Island residents:
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM and only by reservation. A maximum of 18-hours!

Below are the transit taxes paid by the Beaver Island as compared to other townships.
All Charlevoix County Townships
$329,735
St James and Peaine
$28,079
Percentage
8.52%

Our taxes of $28,079 are over 8% of the total County township taxes. Beaver Island pays more than Evangeline, Hudson, Marion Norwood, South Arm and Wilson townships yet we received inferior service for our tax monies. Our County Commissioner, Nancy Ferguson has been aware of the reduction of transit services which was brought up at the Commission on Aging meeting last week. According to the Charlevoix County Clerk, the Transit Authority board has four members but I am unable to find board information on the county website.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

I've been notified that there’s one County Commissioner on the Transportation Authority Board, Nancy Ferguson.
McGrass
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Yet another good reason we should have elected Richie as our County Commissioner. #-o ](*,) #-o
Skull&CrossBones
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

People have complained to elected officials about this for years. The reason given is there aren't enough people using the bus here on the Island to warrant more hours. Of course not taking into consideration having a smaller population, there will be a smaller number of riders than on the mainland.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Sometimes, the cart is put before the horse when it comes to decisions about services for Beaver Island. The only way to fairly compare usage of the transit bus is to provide the exact same service as offered on the mainland. You know for a fact that some people, especially seniors of which I am one, have enough difficulty remembering to pick things up at the store or simply remembering what they came into the kitchen to get.

Let's see here, I think I don't feel well, but, if I'm still feeling bad tomorrow, I'll be able to get the transit bus to take me into town for my cough and go to the med center. Or, dang it, the milk is sour. I need the milk to make the mashed potatoes for dinner. Or, I forgot to get the meal ticket for tonight, and I can't get a ride until tomorrow, so I'll have to cancel my social time this week.

Someone should actually take the time to put the island transit buses on the same schedule as the mainland buses. Then, they should eliminate the reservation requirement. Then, they should notify all the seniors on Beaver Island with a phone call to let them know that this service is available. Every senior on Beaver Island should be made aware of this opportunity. Then see the usage statistics because then you will have a fair comparison and reliable information.

Right now, there is no way a blind person or a crippled person or any other issue for a senior can go anywhere except for 18 hours per week. Lots of times, this is not available when it is needed.

So, the real question is: Do we need the transit service for our seniors? If so, how often?

I don't believe there is sufficient information to make this decision. If not, why not?

I would like Nancy Ferguson to go to bat for the seniors of Beaver Island, and have the transit offer the service on a when-and-as-needed basis.

Joe Moore
sblanch

Post by sblanch »

We do not have to use this service, but we see island seniors and others everyday that do and would use it more often if it were available for them. Not to mention for medical visits planned or unplanned. You can not fairly evaluate any service without giving it a good long trial. I think more regular hours such as what the mainland has would be utilized if we could feel sure that it was there when we needed it.
Sharon Blanchard
Sharon Blanchard
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Same County, Same Schedule.
Brendan McCaw
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Or at least the same as the following townships: Evangeline, Hudson, Marion Norwood, South Arm and Wilson.
Brendan McCaw
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I can proudly say I got the transit service going on the island in the 90's. Every time I got unelected the service got cut. Those that supported Nancy are getting their just desserts! Our tax money is collected and spent over there, we get nothing! Don't forget the millions of dollars of state and federal money that follows our "seed" money. We've all been had by our own electorate! Hope they're happy! The island suffers for their ignorance!
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

What is the transit schedule to get Beaver Islanders to the polls on November 6th-only from 9-3?

I understand there is a toll-free number between 7am and 5pm M-F:
1-844-792-6900 to make your reservation.

Or try the on-line reservation system 24/7:
http://67.220.100.109:52147/cctransit/
but is Beaver Island included for service on November 6th for additional rides?
McGrass