AGAINST A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Wkohls

Re: AGAINST A CONSOLIDATED BEAVER ISLAND TOWNSHIP

Post by Wkohls »

The post that accompanied the proponents' budget, in part says . . . "this has been painstakingly worked on and through consultation of many people interested in Beaver Island's long term future. The numbers shown were gone over many times to be as accurate as possible."

Nonetheless, they are unable to accurately transcribe the millage rates from their proposal.
The attachment Image (10).tif is no longer available
Image (10).tif
Image (10).tif (134.78 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

Having been off island without my computer for two weeks, I was anxious to catch up on local news. After spending too much time on my day off looking at these debates on the forum, I feel almost sick from all the negativity, hostility and downright meanness here. However the vote for consolidation comes out, we are still one island family. We should be able to converse with kindness and respect for one another, even when we are in disagreement. That's what the vote is for. Having read everything on both sides here, I am confident that there is nothing I could offer that would sway anyone's opinion one way or another, so I'll keep my ideas (and my vote) to myself. I'll offer just a couple thoughts:
Bill Kohls and I have had our disagreements over the years; I certainly don't always go along with his ideas. However, I know what he earns as supervisor of Peaine Township, and I find it quite laughable to think he would be trying to sway a vote simply to maintain his job for the balance of his term. Consider that the size of our tax base is in great part derived from taxes paid by summer residents or cottage owners who do not even have a vote here. I see it as admirable that Bill is looking at the best interests of ALL of the people that he serves, not just those with a vote. Whether or not taxes in Peaine township will increase has not, to my mind, been clearly or sufficiently addressed when considering consolidation.
There have been few people that have held the position of supervisor - in either St. James or Peaine townships - that took it on as a full time job. With consolidation, it seems it would have to be. Pay would reflect that, I'm sure. I don't have a problem with that...but it is still an elected position with a limited term. Who could afford to give up their livelihood to do that? When my grandfather served as Peaine township supervisor, he had an active farm and several other side jobs. That has been the case in the thirty-five years that I've been here, too. Would we have to choose only from a few independently wealthy or retired persons to fill our township positions?
Having voiced those ideas, I'd like to say simply that there are many things to consider, and to suggest that anyone is "duped" or "blindly following along," simply because they hold a different viewpoint, is an insult to thoughtful people on both sides of this issue!
Cindy
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Both Sides – Yes & No – Concisely Presented.

May Issue NorthernIslander

Editorials Welke & Kohls - page 4
The Ballot & those running for coordinating committee page 15

NorthernIslander asked an individual on both sides of the issue for their written comments for publication, gave them a deadline and a ballpark word count. Neither saw the other’s editorial piece prior to submitting their article. We thank both Angel Welke and Bill Kohls for participating and for their thoughtful comments.

Elaine West, Publisher
Steve West, Business Manager
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I am currently building a home for an attorney who specializes in city, towns, townships, government entities, land easements ect., he says if township consolidation passes he would love to do the legal work for it would pay for his 4000 sq. ft. house. He says $100,000.00 plus would be a good start to get all the legal work started to do the consolidation of the townships. I wonder if the attorney that quoted St. James Township has ever done a township consolidation? $20,000.00 can hardly get an attorney out of bed. There is absolutely no reason to consolidate the townships and no tax savings. All we are going to see is increases in the cost to live here. Taxes will go up guaranteed.

VOTE NO ON TOWNSHIP CONSOLIDATION!!!!!!!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

How sad. You don't know anything🤡 Please don't scare people who are trusting!
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

As long as we're posting stories such as : "A family called to a table" here's one I think is appropriate. Two neighbors were living side by side with a fence between them.One neighbor has much more money than the other and has a fabulous garden. The rich neighbor has everything including paved sidewalks. The poorer neighbor has a much smaller garden but over the years he tills more land and eventually has a very nice garden too.One day the rich neighbor looks over the fence and says to his neighbor, Wow! your garden is looking pretty good over there. Let's join our gardens then we will have the most fabulous garden anywhere. No! says the poor neighbor, I've worked very hard and I like my garden just the way it is and you may want to plant all beans and I may want to plant more carrots. Don't be silly says the rich gardener. We can save money and we'll only need 1 pump. No says the poor gardener, I've worked hard and I don't want to join your garden. Well, we'll see about that says the Rich gardener . I will poll all the neighbors and if they say I shall have your garden then I shall have it. There are several morals to this story. 1. We should be a good neighbor to Peaine. It's part of their heritage, they have worked hard and we should respect that. 2. There's plenty of room on Beaver Island and we can have two gardens. 3. We are not like other places and just because it seems odd, to some people ,that we have two townships does not mean that it's wrong or that it can not work well for us. 4. We need good representation for all parts of the Island and that's not going to be possible with one township. The emphasis will almost always be on St. James. 5. Gardens (townships) are important but only one item of a much larger home -our home. So let's let the people vote and then get on to the bigger issues of what we need to do to maintain this wonderful home we call Beaver Island. Thanks to all that have contributed to making the Island the great place that it is. Hope this helps you understand the sentiment in Peaine. Have a good day.
Ronald L. Wojan
James Bakker

Post by James Bakker »

Here is another story Ron. If one doesn't read and understand history we are bound to repeat. Just 10 years ago, banks, made up of bankers (like Bill Kohls) nearly completely destroyed our economy and drove us into a recession. Now you are banking (no pun intended) on the advice of one of those bankers. Will we ever learn?
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Mr. Bakker, Bill's a good guy. I've been in to see him every week at his regular office hours. It's fairly obvious that the majority of voters in Peaine Township want to preserve their township. If so, isn't Bill just doing his job? Also I try to get in to see Kitty at least once a week. Was at her regular board meeting this week . Excellent meeting. Lots of good things in the pipeline. Bill will do the same . I respect them both very much and they respect each other. Only good things ahead for two townships on Beaver Island. They will get the peoples work done regardless of all the hand wringing on the internet. Again, send me any complaints you might have about either township and ,if I think it has merit, I will personally take it to their next office hours or regular meetings. Send to ronwojangc@tds.net. We have more concerns to deal with than just township consolidation. You can hear those concerns on the interview I did with Kitty on WVBI podcast. I'll also post them here in another post. Oh, and by the way, it looks like Peaine will be moving forward on the boat launch a the State campground . Bill Kohls found a web site for the one that was built at cross village. I'll pass that along. We're hoping the Odawa's and the State fishery fund will help us. Bob Tidmore is going to help. Also, I'm working with Jeff on those inland lake docks. Kitty is busy with the Wollham project which would get us a new launch in town and get those boats cleared out of our way for a view. I don't think there will be any millage involved. A wonderful gift to our community. A bunch of work has been done by both townships over the years. I fail to see why that won't be the case going forward. But thank you for your reply.
Ronald L. Wojan
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hey Ron,

I tried to reach you by phone but no answer. Would you please give me a call? I have a LONG list of issues not addressed through the years in my township-Peaine. I'd like to fill in all the blanks for you that have not occurred during 20 minute township meetings. Many of the issues are related to why we need to consolidate. I've read that you meet privately, please try to attend the monthly Peaine Township Board meetings. It has been sad and frustrating. I appreciate your past service to the community as the St. James Township Supervisor in the 80's. We've had many engaged township supervisors in the past-John Works and Jack Gallagher to name a few.
Thanks,
Pam
McGrass
Ron Wojan

Post by Ron Wojan »

Hi Pam, I'd be happy to talk to you about any and all issues regarding the governance of the Island. But I'm a bit perplexed. You say you have a long list of things that have not been accomplished over the years but Bill has only been supervisor for about 2 years . So did the previous supervisors drop the ball? Beaver Island has accomplished many good things over those years and Peaine was always involved and always paid their share and are currently consolidated with St. James on many important infrastructure improvements including the transfer station and township airport. Nevertheless I fell you have done many good things and are a driving force for many more. I'd be happy to talk to you any time.
Ronald L. Wojan
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Hasn’t Bill been Supervisor for 6 years? Perplexing 🤔 question maybe.
burton
sailorman

Post by sailorman »

He defeated Jack Galagher and then four years later Doug Tilley nearly unseated him by write in votes. I think Ron is a little out of step with the number of years and then cites all the wonderful things Bill has done or will do. As James Bakker said he is a banker through and through and should not be trusted making a judgement on others future. All he does is cite figures and more figures and tries to twist them around until everyone's eyeballs are spinning. Good luck in making a wise decision that will point Beaver Island down the correct path or over the cliff. Vote Yes.

OPPS: My mistake. Wrong topic.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Talk about people who won't say who they are on the forum-this is a well paid position attack. On either side, I would find this offensive to the discussion of consolidation. No facts, no name, just an attack. I hope whoever you are that you really don't believe that it is all about Angel Welke and Eric Hodgson. Sad last minute ploy to impact the future of Beaver Island. Whatever the final outcome of the May 8th election, this type of attack will not be the reason. I believe Beaver Island is better than this.
McGrass
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Pam what are you talking about Angel and Eric, I am missing something as I don't see anything on this website that says their names or is so bad......sorry I guess I am missing it.

Okay I see the insinuation, but with all of the anonyms post on this forum that Richie allows and you are upset about this??? It is only because the anonyms posts has been in your favor and this isn't, deal with it we have!
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn