Island Drama Discouraging Potential New Residents

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TaniaRH

Island Drama Discouraging Potential New Residents

Post by TaniaRH »

Well I've been following the posts on transportation, healthcare, township consolidation, etc. and as a potential new resident I find myself a little discouraged. Sounds like there is a lot of drama, politics and extra fees that may completely take this possibility off the board for me. Is there anyone out there that would like to post some of the wonderful things about the island community. I would like to leave my current situation for less drama, simplicity, natural beauty and community. Are new people even welcome there or is it just a good ole boys club? Anyone feel like a prisoner? I figured I would leave the island once a month when possible to get necessities not affordable/available on the island and use Amazon. Its a big decision for me to make a such a big change. I would love to hear from more people about the realities of living there, good and bad, though I am starting to see what the bad is. Am I understanding it correctly that when I left on the boat for things like groceries and bird food I would be charged freight? I welcome any private or public posts. Public may be helpful for others considering a move. Thanks so much. Tania Hanline
E T

Post by E T »

Tania, What is on the forum is not the real world. The Island is a beautiful place with beautiful and caring people!! That is the true beauty of the Island--the people. Please bear in mind not many places have a forum without limitation. Yes there are costs associated with being on an Island for travel. The shipments from Amazon are a no additional cost item. Yes gas is expensive, but you use a lot less then on the mainline (at least I do). I have never seen such a close knot community who truly care for the welfare of one another. As an example see the coming up taco dinner for Phyllis Moore!!
Ed Troutman
38280 Beaver Drive
Beaver Island, Michigan 49782
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Thankyou Ed for that reply. I was hoping to hear something along those lines. I suppose in any community there are good and bad. I will continue to spend time weighing the positive and negative of a move. Lots of soul searching and dreaming. Thankyou winter for giving us all the time to do that:)
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

Hi, Tania -- I do not live on the island, but do own a home there, and visit whenever possible. It is beautiful, quiet and serene. But, the thing that most stands out are the people. Truly. There is a great sense of community. Even as a relative stranger on the island, each morning I would be invited to join somebody's table for breakfast at the coffee shop. People stop and offer rides if they see you walking. Conversation is easy. There are several hundred people on the island. Most of the negativity on the forum is coming from maybe six people.
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Thankyou Bob for that reply and to the folks who have private messaged me. I think I understand things a bit more now as it relates to the forum and am again hopeful as a result of the many positive things that have been said. The number one thing for me is community. I will need to get there to actually have more of a feeling of this. Looking forward to that. Thanks again everyone. Tania Hanline
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Tania,

Bob and Ed are right! BI and the people here are wonderful. We came to island 8 years ago and felt a termendous peace the first time we walked off boat. As far as the negative on the forum, keep in mind many of them are not "real people" and hide behind fake names. It is unfortunate for sure. They do not reflect the real spirit of the island or the people that call it home 24/7.

Some of the blessings we find on the island are:

Go to the community center, meet Becca. Her love and passion for the island is infectious.

Walk into McDonough market and the owners greet you as they are bagging groceries, or preparing meat. Meet Dawn, she is amazing at picking out produce!

Go to the boat docks and see for yourself how it works. Meet Sheri, and she will help figure out the best way to get your things to island. Personally, we have never experienced some of the concerns mentioned on forum. We have found the freight charges reasonable.

When you drive make sure you have your waving arm ready!! As everyone waves as the go down the road.

Iron ore bay, french bay, birding, hiking trails, unpopulated beautiful beaches and so much more is here!

And here is a fun fact...no skunks, nothing with poisen to harm you! No bears either!! One of the few places in northern Michigan that you can hike and not worry about that!

As everyone community goes, you have many personalities and issues. I can tell you the people of Beaver Island are hard workers, kind and loving. They have passion, fire and a history that is so rich and interesting.

I hope you take the time to explore the island and all it has to offer. It truly is paradise.

Kathe
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

I love this reply to my post. Thankyou so much for the heartfelt words about BI. No skunks or bears? That is a beekeepers dream. Canâ??t wait till spring so I can come meet these folks. So looking forward to it. Tania
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

The Island is one of the most beautiful and quiet places you will ever find in northern Michigan or anywhere in my opinion. I have several friends that have had the finances to travel the world and could own anything anywhere and have chosen Beaver Island. My family has been here for many generations. My adult children although do not live here still call it home. All the previous posts are spot on and all are by people who havenâ??t been on the Island forever but see the good of the Island and itâ??s people and are as well the make up our Island community. The so called negativity on the forum is just some strong willed people trying to fight for what they believe is the best. I think the latest big political move is being done for all the wrong reasons, was not executed properly and will not be the best thing in the future of the Island. As in the health center post, when someone public slams my friends and family, tells them they do their jobs bad and call them names on the forum I will be the first to defend. As Bob quoted most people hide behind fictitious names that is true. I am not afraid to put my name on anything and fight for what I think is best for my Island Home. The politics and disagreements have been here forever and will continue forever but at the end of the day Beaver Island is a great place to live.

John McCafferty
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Tania, Kathe is correct that Beaver Island is a wonderful place with wonderful people although I don't think she is referring to me. Her "fun fact" is not quite correct. There is poison ivy and black widow spiders on the island. But then again, she doesn't think I exist. Give us a try, I think you'll find the good comments are true. :roll: :D :shock: 8) :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
medic5740

Strong Faith

Post by medic5740 »

I would like to jump in here and make certain that we don't leave out one of the most beautiful and important parts of the island. This island not only has wonderful people who live and work here, but also has caring and loving people who step up and help others.

The most beautiful prayer service took place on this past Wednesday night in which all the churches of the island were invited to come and pray together for those who are ill or injured, as well as their care providers. A very moving service was experienced by almost eighty people, and each had an opportunity to silently pray for just over thirty minutes as well as walk up and light a candle to represent their prayers.

The island has four Christian churches, ranging from non-denominational to Episcopal to Catholic. The faith of this community is one of the major reasons that the loving and caring people live here.

It is not only beautiful in natural resources, but in loving people of faith.

Some video of the service may be viewed here:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2018%20Janu ... Cross.html

Joe Moore
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Tania,

As a new resident on the island (eight months), I can report that the people here are simply wonderful. The "drama" is not unique to BI as it occurs in all towns and cities, large and small, and even block by block as people, where ever they live, experience life differently and therefore have differing opinions. BI is no exception, but what is different in this unique community is that even when people differ in opinions or even get mad at one another, when someone/anyone needs help or assistance, 10 or 20 people jump to help--even without the asking. I think that more than political drama, which is non-stop in every level of government no matter where one lives, there are people who can live on a 15-mile and somewhat isolated island, and there are those who need bigger life venues. It takes a certain kind of person to live here, but I can tell you that the community of people is not the political definition of "community"; it is the real definition of people taking care of and helping others. I've seen it, I've experienced it, and if you are the kind of person who can live on a tiny island with a very small population, without big corporate stores, and with actual quiet, there is no better place to live than BI. Don't think the people here don't care for one another. This island, as I see it, is really one big family. Truth.
Nancy
Blacksmith Apprentice

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

I can testify that residents are generally very friendly. We've made two visits. On the first in 2016 we were without a rental car due to my poor planning and eating at Daddy Frank's. Bill Detwiler and his wife, whom we had never met before, saw our plight and gave Barbara and me a 3 hour personal tour of the entire island and their home.

Bob Yager
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

What a pleasure to read about the real Beaver Island! Thanks so much for all who offered real thoughtful accurate insight!

Steve West

:D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

So many wonderful post! Summer needs to get here soon!! I am homesick for BI!! Pirate...thanks for the info. Yes, I was painfully aware of the poison ivy! I was referring more to the animals. I was not aware of spiders. We had been told none on island. I will be more careful in the wood pile!