Sexism Alive and Well on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cindyr

Post by cindyr »

Just out of curiosity, what are the qualifications necessary to be on the golf league? Are there standards ( other than the recent genitalia issue )that need to be met to get on the league, or on the sub list? I've been reading lots of discussion about Marianne's qualifications, but I don't recall ever hearing of any of the male players being turned down because they weren't good enough. Should a female have to meet a higher standard in order to be considered equal? Is the "women's" golf league open to anyone interested? Are there rules or requirements that any of this is being based on?
Cindy
medic5740

No logical reasons

Post by medic5740 »

I'm guessing that the administrator and the membership really don't know what the bylaws are since they don't exist. I'm guessing that there is no logical reason that MB was excluded. I'm guessing that the only reason MB is not playing is the fact that she is female. I'm guessing that the rest of the players are okay with this, and that the democratic decision is acceptable to all players in the Wednesday Night League.

Of course, this is exactly the same situation that occurred when women wanted the right to vote, when African Americans wanted to use a public toilet or get a drink from a public drinking fountain, and when the PGA attempted to exclude females from playing in the PGA. It is called discrimination. Eventually, everyone will realize that male genitalia have nothing to do with the ability to play golf, and that exclusionary groups are discriminating.

It happens even on Beaver Island. What would be the harm if a man were beaten by a woman at a game of golf?

Joe Moore
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

Is girl scouts still for girls, and boy scouts for boys?
K.A. Pike

Re: No logical reasons

Post by K.A. Pike »

medic5740 wrote:Of course, this is exactly the same situation that occurred when women wanted the right to vote, when African Americans wanted to use a public toilet or get a drink from a public drinking fountain, and when the PGA attempted to exclude females from playing in the PGA. It is called discrimination. Eventually, everyone will realize that male genitalia have nothing to do with the ability to play golf, and that exclusionary groups are discriminating.

It happens even on Beaver Island. What would be the harm if a man were beaten by a woman at a game of golf?

Joe Moore
To equate voter rights and the struggles of African Americans with the desire of a female on BI to play in a males golf league diminishes your credibility to ZERO. My 12 year old learned one of lifes major realities years ago. LIFES NOT FAIR, SO MOVE ON. We come to BI every summer, if you'd like he'd be willing to spend some time with you, so you could learn how to live life to its fullest even when it's not fair.
Kraig Pike
medic5740

Summary for Credibility Reasons

Post by medic5740 »

I asked another BI school teacher, who happened to be female, to be my golf partner in the Wednesday Night Golf League. I certainly did not think that this would be a problem since Marianne Brown was a good golfer. We even agreed as partners to not request any special privileges like playing from the lady's tees since that might be considered an unfair advantage. We just want to play in a league with some competition and, since handicapped, this league was the only one that would provide that competition.

I submitted her name to Buck Ridgeway by email in February since he was the one who always handed out schedules last summer and he was the one that set up the schedule and kept track of handicaps. Ron Wojan called me later on and stated that he had had members call and say that all new players should come from the substitute list.

I requested to have a vote of those members of the golf league to determine if MB could play as my partner. Unfortunately, those present at the golf league meeting voted to exclude her by a 10-6 vote which is 2/3 of the league members that are actually playing this year(12 teams of 2 per team = 24 players). This is actually 8 players less than last year's league membership.

At this same meeting the membership voted that the players in the league did NOT have to come from a sublist.

I am concerned that the public golf league on a public golf course is setting a bad example for the young people of Beaver Island. I believe that it is saying to the youth of Beaver Island, "You can discriminate against your female social studies' teacher, if it is on the golf course, and it is Wednesday night."

By the way, MB and I will continue to play golf, and we challenge the league members to a match if they are up for some competition.
I will not resort to name calling or demeaning the people who post here.

Joe Moore