ATV Usage on Kings Highway & Michigan Ave.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

djmoline

ATV Usage on Kings Highway & Michigan Ave.

Post by djmoline »

During my last visit to BI I received a warning and was told that I shouldn't drive my ATV on Kings Highway North of the 4 corners & on Michigan Ave. My ATV has a windshield, roof, lights, current DNR & ORV registration, and insurance. Current state & Charlevoix County law allows ATV usage on all roads, except federal & MI roadways (US31 & M66) unless prohibited by a local ordinance. Is there a local ordinance on Beaver Island prohibiting ATV's on Kings Highway and Michigan Ave.?
Moe
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I was on the county board when the ORV rule was passed, I left a message today to see if townships could supersede it, hopefully not, we want to welcome visitors to enjoy the island as long as they take it easy! :D
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I googled this and cut and pasted it on to this link so you know where you can take your ORV's, also there are not trails that the ORV are permitted on but there are a lot of roads other than these that you can take them.

ORVâ??s on Island Roads

YES â?¦ UNLESS TOWNSHIPS DECIDE OTHERWISE

The Charlevoix County Commission recently enacted an ordinance authorizing operation of off road vehicles on almost every public road on Beaver Island starting May 1.

Adopted pursuant to a state statute passed last year, the new ORV Ordinance permits operation of â??ORVsâ?￾ on â??the far right of the maintained portionâ?￾ of all â??county primary roadsâ?￾ and â??county local roadsâ?￾ in Charlevoix County, with only a few exceptions. On Beaver Island, the only exception is â??Kings Highway, which includes Main Street, from the Light House, Sec. 26, St. James Twp. to East Side Drive, Sec. 34, Peaine Twp.â?￾ So it wonâ??t be legal to drive an ORV from the Whiskey Point Light House through town to the Four Corners, but they will be legal on all other county roads on the Island â?? unless the Township Boards prohibit their operation on some or all of those roads.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn