High Island Poison Ivy

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BobTidmore

High Island Poison Ivy

Post by BobTidmore »

I want to take my grand children to High Island and itâ??s covered with poison ivy. Someone said to put dishwasher soap on the legs and then wash it off after exploring the island. Does that work or does someone have a better idea? (Long pants?... never work with the kids.)
esalveter

Post by esalveter »

I can get poison ivy, and I work in the woods most every day. Here is how I cope. I wear two pairs of socks, liner socks and wicking boot socks. I wear boots, not tennis shoes. I wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. As soon as I get home, the clothes come off and get rolled up before going in the hamper with the bottom of the pant legs in the middle of the roll. Then I shower in the coldest water I can tolerate. It is important to get the poison ivy oil washed off without your pores opening up and trapping the poison ivy oil, thus the cold shower. Hope this helps.
Ed Salveter
pbona

Tech nu

Post by pbona »

Hi Bob,
Was on High Island 2 weeks ago the poison ivy is bad on the trail to the DNR cabins, but not on the West side where the high dunes are. I used rubber gloves to remove 2 pairs of socks, heavy boots and jeans. No P.I.
TechNu is supposed to be a good soap as is Fels Naptha.
Itching to hear your results
Pat B.