Ladies of the Lights - Lighthouse Presentation June 29

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Historical Society

Ladies of the Lights - Lighthouse Presentation June 29

Post by BI Historical Society »

They were women before their time, taking on the romantic, yet dangerous and physically demanding job of tending to the beacons that protected the shoreline. In all, some 40 women have been identified who excelled in this profession over the years â?? dating back as early as the 1840s and as recent as present day. Nearly 70 images of keepers, their families and their lights make up this presentation. The program includes readings from newspapers and autobiographies, as well as handouts including the list of featured ladies and additional reading references for attendees.
Presentation will be at the Beaver Island Community Schools at 7 pm on Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Tickets are $5.00 at the door and students are free.
Sponsored by Beaver Island Historical Society
Lori Taylor-Blitz, Executive Director
Beaver Island Historical Society
PO Box 263
Beaver Island MI 49782
director@beaverislandhistory.org
BI Historical Society

Just a reminder that this interesting and informative presentation is only a week away.
PO Box 263
Beaver Island MI 49782
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

I fell in love with Elizabeth Whitney Williams' Child Of The Sea when I first read it a little over 10 years ago. I've re-read this rustic diary many times. Her story is an inspiring and important read for us. The opening scene is scary and precious!

The copyright of this book was purchased by Henry and Agnes Allen and donated to the historical society - what a gift - a century after its creation.

Can the program be recorded for WVBI? Will the images shown of other women lighthouse keepers be saved for display? Sounds like a fascinating program.
medic5740

Megan's Request

Post by medic5740 »

Megan--

Beaver Island News on the 'Net has offered to video record the presentation as well as live stream it on the Internet, but so far has not heard back from anyone about this.

If it were live streamed, anyone in the world could watch it for free. If it is recorded, that would not be the same, but we could work something out.

If I hear that I have permission to live stream it, it will be found at http://beaverisland.tv LIVE video while the event is taking place.

No permission, no video.

Today's Mass from Holy Cross was live on the internet at 5 p.m. with the Bishop from Gaylord saying the mass. It's possible. I do it all the time.

Joe Moore
BI Historical Society

Megan â?? So glad that you are a fan of Elizabeth Whitney Williams' Child Of The Sea, and the Historical Society is lucky to have the rights to reproduce this book to keep the story alive.

A few snippets of video and pictures from the program will be available, but the program will not be live streamed or recorded at the request of the presenter. Professional speaker Dianna Stamphler, makes her living promoting Michigan and providing speaking engagements featuring programs about the areaâ??s historic lighthouses, ghost towns, islands and other unique destinations and activities in her home state of Michigan.

The live presentation will be a great event and all those attending will enjoy a wonderful presentation and will receive a Michigan lighthouse guide and map.

Thanks to Joe Moore for offering to live-stream this event. BIHS certainly hopes he will be able to live-stream and provide coverage of some of the Museum Week activities. See our website for Museum Week (July 18 -23) schedule. www.beaverislandhistory.org
PO Box 263
Beaver Island MI 49782