The Addition to the Print Show

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

gwenmarston

The Addition to the Print Show

Post by gwenmarston »

Mormon Print Shop

The New Addition to the Mormon Print Shop

In the recent Beaver Island Historical Society mailer (The Capital Campaign: New Museum of Island Life), we read that "behind the scenes" the BIHS board members have been making plans to add a new addition to the back of the Print Shop. I am totally against the new addition for these reasons:

-I wish we could have found out if any of us who live on the island year around think this is a good idea before the board got so far into it, including accepting donations to fund their project.

-The Mormon Print Shop and Protars house are the only historical buildings left on the island and therefore, we need to make very careful decisions about how to best preserve them. Neither one of these old structures would benefit architecturally by having a modern 21st century addition tacked on the back. And then there's the inconvenient fact that it goes against the principals of historical preservation.

-I think when people visit the Print Shop, they expect to see it intact, as it actually was. That's the idea of visiting a historical site!

-I disagree with the idea that the Beaver Island story can be told better with modern computer images rather than by being in the historical building itself. I have visited plenty of historical sites around the country and it never occurred to me once that it would be nicer if I could stand in front of a computer and watch a presentation.

-If the idea is to increase tourism, I don't think the outside world is going to make a bee-line to the island if and when they find that we have a modern wing with computer terminals on the back of the Mormon Print Shop.

-There is the issue of the initial cost, plus the operating costs into the future of yet one more over-size-new-public-building. I don't see how this can be justified.
Gwen Marston
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

BRAVO!!!!!! Nicely said and so very true, Gwen.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

I'm in 100% total agreement with you Gwen!
dickie

Post by dickie »

I understand some of your points. I work with the museum once and awhile and all that visit love it. Some want to know more about their families. We have hours and hours of taped interviews. I would love to see them available for all to see on demand.
DICKIE
Howard Kadison

Mormon Print Shop

Post by Howard Kadison »

The main concern of the writer seemed to be focused on the building from a historical perspective.

Yes, the building importantly makes a historical statement, but so do its contents.

Any museum's primary function is to tell a story and to fulfill this function there must be easy access to the contents within.
It seems before a judgment is handed down, there should be a clear understanding of what could be done and how to accomplish it

As to the concern raised about architecture, there are countless examples of complimentary additions made to historically significant
buildings. A quick visit to Chicago might prove helpful in looking for some examples

If the story of the Island's rich history can be told to more people in a more accessible way, the buildings that are the focus of these concerns could be even more greatly appreciated and take on a greater significance to more people.
Respectfully,
Howard Kadison