St. James twp. Independent auditor

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BmRice

St. James twp. Independent auditor

Post by BmRice »

A special board meeting will be held at 9:30am on Tuesday October13, 2015 for the purpose of hearing the final report of Steve Peacock, independent auditor. Since January, a lot of questions have been raised. This should be the time to receive some answers. St. James Township taxpayers, I hope to see you attend.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

If someone is unable to attend but has questions or issues they would like addressed publically, what do they need to do to get the questions to someone before this open meeting?
Kirk
BmRice

Post by BmRice »

I will be attending this meeting.. If you have specific questions you can email them to me. My email address. weazer08@gmail.com
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Thank you very much, your services are appreciated by many St. James Township taxpayers.
Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I am hearing that a member of the SJT board is asking for the meeting on Tuesday to be postponed until the board has had a chance to privately review the audit findings. I hope I am hearing wrong. If true, I would remind them that this audit is a forensic independent audit performed for the taxpayers. There is no need for it to be reviewed by the board prior to being presented to the taxpayers. Such a review could show bias and bring into question the independence of the entire audit process. Taxpayers have waited long enough. Keep the integrity of the process.
If my rumors are incorrect, I would ask that someone clarify the fact for the benefit of getting to the truth.
Kirk
BmRice

Post by BmRice »

The special board meeting will be on October 20th not the 13th as the independent accountant report will not be ready for this Tuesday. This is from Kitty McNamara. I had asked her to let me know when the meeting was being held. I have the utmost confidence that if Kitty is saying that the report isn't ready, then it isn't ready. I know the Beaver Island rumor mill is saying something different but I believe Kitty.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I think it goes without saying that everyone has the utmost confidence in Kitty's honesty and integrity. She was not the board member I was hearing about in the rumor mill. I take what Kitty says about the township business as gospel. Again, a refreshing change for the old guard board.
Thanks for getting back with the date change.
Kirk
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Generally speaking...
and in this case...a quick and easy way to dispel any rumor and calm a situation down, is....
to merely ASK the auditor at the time of the scheduled public meeting if he has had any previous meetings with anyone involved in which a review of the final findings report was discussed. Easy Money.(excuse the pun)

This is not a Law and Order episode, CSI or NCIS.
No DNA testing.. Just ask the gentleman.

transparency, calmness and vigilance...
works every time
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
AEW

Post by AEW »

Well said John.

There also should be a link to the entire final report posted on the forum ASAP. To include all correspondence, documents, emails, texts, meetings dates, phone call records etc.

It is also time for both townships to have free live streaming video/audio of every tax funded entity and/or governmental meeting on the island for all to view. Every meeting should be recorded and archived so people can pull up a video of any meeting to view at their leisure.

It is the seasonal residence who pay the vast majority of the taxes it takes to run the Island and they should able to see government in action for free considering the insanely high taxes they pay.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant .
AE Wirth
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

There's a dozen ways to find out if it did or does happen. My whole point and contention is that if the board reviews the audit behind closed doors prior to the public reviewing it, is the whole "independent" process not put into question?
The auditor appears to refuse calls from the public on this meeting and instead forwards contact to the SJT board. What does that tell you?
Kirk
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Not answering your phone calls? He is probably busy right now....
no independent auditing?
.... only if you believe that the independent auditor is working out of his lawful scope .
I, personally, do not believe anyone would sacrifice their reputation and face possible legal litigation against them in such a situation.
I see no reason, whatsoever, to believe that the report will not be factual and unadulterated.

Taxpayers should not be looking for a conspiracy, just the facts.... presented in a transparent and understandable way.

Kirk, I am going back now to watch more re runs of NCIS.... 8)
want to join me?
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

John, my friend, I can smell the popcorn from here. Enjoy the reruns but too much TV can sometimes fill one's head with conspiracy theories that don't exist. I am in no way implying conspiracy, unlawful scope, adulterated process or anything other than advocating a professional and thorough audit.
I am talking about independence, professional separation of parties, process and conduct. When a St. James Township resident contacts the auditor's office with a legitimate and straight forward question on an important issue regarding the audit, having that question deflected directly back to the township board for a response in his stead is not the independence and separation I envision as professional. I might be watching too much TV.
Hopefully, the presentation will restore my faith that independence and separation exists in the entire process.
Kirk
BmRice

Post by BmRice »

Don't forget the special meeting of the St. James Township Board is tomorrow, Oct. 20th at 9:30 a.m.
AEW

Post by AEW »

Lets make sure a copy of the complete report gets sent to the State Attorney Generals Public Integrity Department for review.

http://michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-58056---,00.html
AE Wirth