Ladonis Mooney RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Ladonis Mooney RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Written by Duane Mooney:

It is with a very heavy heart that I report the sudden loss of my father, LaDonis Francis Mooney, age 79 of Beaver Island, and Escanaba, MI. He is survived by Theresa Alimenti, her loving family, and his children: Duane (Gregory Serrano), Sheri Timsak (Joseph), Terry (Linda Walden), Dawn Marsh (Robert), Roberta Griggs (Keith), Darryl (Maria), six grandchildren, three great grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews.

He was born in 1936 on the family farm on Beaver Island, MI to Francis and Elizabeth (Tetsloff McCafferty) He left school in the 7th grade to help work the farm. Gifted with innate mechanical ability, he became a skilled electrician. It was not only his career, but his avocation. He did much of the electrical work on the island for 35 years. He could fix almost anything!

After the death of of our mother, Eleanor (Pischner), we were delighted when he found a soulmate in Theresa Alimenti. She ensured that his last years were filled with love, laughter, and adventure.

At every family gathering, especially if any of his 5 brothers were present, we were regaled with mirthful tales of Beaver Island of the past and the folks that inhabited it.

Thank you, Dad, for the many gifts of love, laughter, knowledge, strength, kindness, support that you gave us over the years.

(More information will be posted as it becomes available.)
Marie LaFreniere

Visitation will be from 10:00 am until 11:00 am on Saturday the 17th.

The funeral mass for LaDonis will be held on Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 11:00 am at Holy Cross Church, Father Patrick Cawley, officiating with burial immediately following at Holy Cross Cemetery. A luncheon will be served afterward at Holy Cross Parish Hall.
Last edited by Marie LaFreniere on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
joddy

Post by joddy »

I would like to extend all the love that my family has to offer, to all of LaDonis's family! One time, after one of my emergencies and unable to work, LaDonis showed up to my house with tool belt on and hooked up the electricity in my house, which we had none of at the time! Again we send all of our love and prayers to all of LaDonis's family and friends!! With love ~~ Beth, Stryder, Saygan and joddy
lindawearn

Post by lindawearn »

My condolences and sympathy to all of the children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews of LaDonis and to Theresa and her family.
Marie LaFreniere

Bump
JaneB

Post by JaneB »

So sorry to hear of Ladonis Mooney passing. He did a lot of work for me when I built a house there. Wonderful man. Deepest condolences to the family.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

We have had many calls asking if we have somewhere that people may send memorial contributions to- we have set up a fund called Mooney Memorial Fund or to the Beaver Island Fire Department Auxiliary. They may be sent to P.O. Box 126 Beaver Island, MI 49782.
Thank you.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Blessed in so many ways- wonderful life of my father that we celebrated, wonderful family that laughed, cried and that continue to grieve with me at his loss, wonderful friends that gave love, comfort, support, food, homes, vehicles and did i mention food, wonderful island community that my father loved and that loved him- A heart is not judged by how much you love but how much you are loved in return. Thanks to all that loved him.
This was just one example of why we live here!!