Missing Showy Ladyslippers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Missing Showy Ladyslippers

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The individual who dug up the clumps of Showy Ladyslippers along Kings Highway may not know that they are a legally protected species and are on Michigan's Threatened Species List. While these orchids are very beautiful, they require extremely specific growing conditions to grow. Some of these orchids take a decade or more to grow from seed blooming plants. Many visitors have stopped this summer to take photos and now unfortunately, they are gone and holes remain. Please do not remove orchids from their habitat.
McGrass
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

That's horrible!
Bob Sramek

Post by Bob Sramek »

PLEASE....just enjoy nature in its natural state!
stardust

Clueless

Post by stardust »

Why in the world would anyone steal one of our Islands beautiful natural resource's. It just shows how selfish and thought less people can be
esteger

Post by esteger »

Irretrievable loss. Irresponsible conduct. Truly a tragedy for the Island.
Maureen Abele

Post by Maureen Abele »

These plants are protected by Michigan law, and there is a penalty.

The state of Michigan defines an endangered species as "any fish, plant life, or wildlife that is in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant part of its range, other than a species of insect as determined by the department or the Secretary of the United States Department of the Interior to constitute a pest whose protection under this part would present an overwhelming and overriding risk to humans." Violation of the taking provision constitutes a misdemeanor punishable up to 90-days in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.

More info here: www.animallaw.info/statute/mi-endangere ... otection-0[/url]
Avandyke

Post by Avandyke »

That's both sickening and sad. We've driven out there a few times to admire. Why hoard to yourself something that so many are enjoying?
joddy

Post by joddy »

the other day i posted along with pictures on my facebook page how incredibly blessed i feel to live in a place where i can drive down the road and see such a beautiful display of nature. someone already mentioned how illegal it is to pick them, i would like to add how thoughtless and greedy the act is! there are so few of them along the road ~~~ and you take them for just "YOUR" enjoyment. how so, so, so sad and what a troubling predictor for the future natural beauty of beaver island. who ever took these wonders i hope reads this and feels the rightful shame that this act has brought on you! we will probably never know who did this act ~~ but you will ~~ shame on you
joddy

Post by joddy »

i thought my new posting would bring this back to the top ~~ last try
sscreven

Post by sscreven »

The sad truth is that these habitat specific plants grow where they do for a reason. Often times, if they are moved, they will not survive in their new location. Maybe there's still time to put them back?
stardust

CSI

Post by stardust »

Its time to call in BiCSI maybe they can pull up the the NSA satellite feed of the island and we can track down these thieves