Beaver Island Bird Sightings

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Great news, Jacque--McDonough's Market will have a run on oranges again. Leonor Jacobson called to say that she has 2 hummingbirds on the east side and a Rufous-sided Towhee. Spring is in full swing. :D Image
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Birds

Post by Pam Grassmick »

A report from the north end (Donegal Bay) of the island-Rose-breasted Grosbeak have returned. A Cooper's Hawk at the entrance of the cedar swamp at LSB and Palm Warblers in the mid-canopy of the spruce.
McGrass
cjones

Post by cjones »

A single American White Pelican off White Fish Point on Western Shores.
robertg

Post by robertg »

Bald Eagle adult at the picnic area/public access on the East side (not the North Arm) of Lake G Saturday. Two Sandhill Cranes at Tara's Meadow Sunday afternoon. Parrot on the shoulder of the BIPirate, Shamrock Bar, closing time.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

lots of pairs of American goldfinches at my thistle feeders this am....( in town),,oodles of pine siskens in the last week...grosbeak on sunday....crappy weather but the birds are still hungry or wanting a bath...love it !
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Indigo buntings are back-my favorite place is behind Barney's Lake or LSB.

For those who use jelly to attract the Orioles-take a look at this cautionary tale for hummers who get caught in the jelly: http://blog.lauraerickson.com/2007/04/i ... birds.html
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

hummingbirds in my yard within 2 hrs of hanging feeders....yay
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

female hummers arrived in my yard yesterday...boys came last wed...happy happy joy joy..just thinking about hummingbirds makes me smile....even hester ....our solo turkey... smiles when they are around....
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Kathie and I saw three White Pelicans flying toward Sand Bay yesterday. Ovenbirds, Scarlet Tanagers and Black-throated Green Warblers are back. Merlin on Sunday morning-East Side Drive-just south of the Jordan River. Multiple Rose-breasted Grosbeak seen along West Side Drive. Indigo Buntings are visiting thistle feeders.
McGrass
E. Naranjo

bird

Post by E. Naranjo »

My youngest granddaughter Shyeanne has informed me that she has spotted a "Red Jay" here at Island Woods N. :shock:
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

116 bird species recorded last weekend during the Warblers on the Water event. 20 warblers, Whimbrels, Gadwalls, Northern Shovelers, Bobolink, Olive-sided Flycatcher, and more, oh my! Stop by the Community Center and see the list of bird species. Also, a new video display with photos of island birds and plants is playing daily. Ed Leuck, Frank Solle, and other talented photographers provided the beautiful photos. Stay tuned for a recap of the event and comments from participants and field guides!
McGrass
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Well done! Birding is becoming the number one activity for folks of all ages. This should be a big boost for tourism and the island economy. It will put you on the birding map. Hope everyone is now starting to support your organization. :D
Not sure if you had cormorants on your list of 116, but if you would like to see a bevy, come visit me at Rum Runner's Cove on Whiskey Island. 8) :wink: Bring spirits of the liquid variety. :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The Beaver Island community can be proud of the quality natural resources found here and on the outer islands such as Whiskey. Keep up the good work over there.

Bobolinks and Eastern Meadowlarks are in the fields headed to Welke's Airport. Beautiful songs and they can be observed from the road. They are both ground nesters and are getting ready for nesting season. For those who want to see a Bobolink photo-one is on the home page of the BIBT-www.beaverislandbirdingtrail.org Enjoy!
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Flocks of Cedar Waxwings along the shoreline eating sand cherries. Two Merlins seen on the ride home-one perched in a high dead limb at Kings Highway across from the O"Donnell's field by the cemetery and the other in a limb on the East Side Drive just south of the Jordan River curve. Baby birds galore-Sandhill cranes, loons, grouse, turkey killdeer,....just a friendly reminder, now is the time to keep dogs on leashes.

And all those turtles presently crossing the road-if in danger of being killed by a vehicle, please just scoot off the road in the same direction that the turtle was heading. I am told by biologists that it is preferable to not deliver them to another area but just move to the side of the road in the direction that they were headed. Also, many turtles are now laying their eggs along the shoulders of the road. Pardon my straying from bird sightings but this is a frequently asked question. Thanks!
McGrass
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Birds

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red- ... dpecker/id This guy comes for a visit every morning while I'm having coffee.
Jim Campbell