Trying to fly over this Summer

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sourdough44

Trying to fly over this Summer

Post by sourdough44 »

Hello all. I just found this and registered. I've been trying to get out to Beaver Island for a while. We did Mackinac, several times over the years but not Beaver.

I have my plane and the plan is to fly out with the two boys, 12 and 18. My sister has been out and really enjoyed it. I was toying with the idea of trying to get over to Garden Island should I make it there. Is kayaking a viable method?

I did see some nice pictures. Is there a pristine beach or two that one should target? Just some planning ideas, thanks.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

As I understand it (if you know better please correct me) Kayaking to Garden Island should only be attempted by expert kayakers with appropriate gear. I was told that the currents between the islands can overwhelm most kayakers.

Now, you can charter a boat and it can be a wonderful trip. Or if you want to kayak many of the inland lakes are great.

There are many beaches. I like Donegal Bay and Iron Ore Bay.

Enjoy...it's Great
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 »

Yes, I do know it's always safer to kayak next to shore, with relatively calm water. I just didn't know if that was a fairly common way to get there, maybe not?

I will also look into other ways to get around. I/we have kayaked around a bit, including ocean bays in AK. Not that I am an expert. I have seen where even experienced kayakers have come up short, usually with weather issues.

Thanks for the tips.
Happy paddle

Happy paddle

Post by Happy paddle »

I can help you and your family with your adventure over to garden island. My number is 630 488 2949
Mark
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

There are a few folks who paddle to Garden Island. They are in great shape as it is about a two mile paddle. Even they don't do it on very windy days. They put folding beach chairs and a cooler strapped on and they spend the day there. One guy even paddled all the way to Fisherman's. Bay on Hog Island.