NEWS - Beaver Island Community Message Board

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Hey Jim
Just to let you know Kaylynn Jones family is and has been a part of the island forever!
Kendra Vera Thorson

Post by Kendra Vera Thorson »

Ken, I'm not quite sure as to why my name was included in your post about "Trouble making strangers"?? If you read my post again you will see I make no reference whatsoever about Islanders vs. Non-Islanders (For lack of better term) In fact the majority of my message was to Mr. Gillespie, who is as "True Islander" as you get. How I got brought into your drama on this thread, I do not know, but since I'm here I might as well stay awhile...Allow me to quote my previous post, "You will have to find another Target, another source to prey upon."...Looks like you've found it!!! Well done! That didn't take long! I am not naïve to the fact that BI is extremely dependent on "Non-Islanders" to survive. I worked in the service industry there for many years and happened to look very forward to when the "Non-Islanders" came to visit. The more the merrier for me! I am grateful for everyone who has brought life to the island via time, money, love, etc. Ken, I am not sure what you're after, an applause, a plaque, a pat on the back??? Your thank you card is in the mail!
And for the record. I could truly care less if there is 1 forum, 10 forums, or NO forums. So kindly leave my name out of this thread!
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

meeting

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

It's probably because of my background and my chosen profession that I try to find some humor in topics that others take very seriously. But many of us STRANGERS posting here ( and no one is stranger than me ) are " the elderly. "
Jim Campbell
AEW

Post by AEW »

There is a deep seeded bigotry and prejudice in some Island residents who think their ancestral/family connections entitle them to some odd and unearned "privileged class"status. The fact is that most of the property owners and tax payers on the island are not in that subgroup nor have the ancestral connections. The cognitive distortion is pretty deep in some. No one really cares who your ancestors are when it comes to governing the Island. It is good to see families close and remember their ancestors but it should never influence responsible local government.

Beaver Island is an American Community. All Americans must demand open, responsible and accountable government. I look forward to seeing the SJ board clear the air, open the books and implement new transparency policies. That way when someone considers investing their money on Beaver Island they will be assured it is a good investment. And that will improve the Island economy in the long run.
AE Wirth
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

If Beaver Island is an American Community...
Why am I always hearing people refer to the mainland as, " I have to go over to The United States".... :lol:
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

It's interesting to see those who have gotten upset by my comments and those that have supported them. Perhaps I should clarify?

Not all who came here without familial connections are troublemakers. Most aren't, in fact. But there seems to be quite the overflow of those types of people these days.

Luckily we live in a country where we can be vocal of how we feel.

And I've said my piece. :)
Kaylyn Jones
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

KaylynJ,
Yes, we do live in a country that one can say anything they feel...
however, it also means that one will have to be responsible for their statements made in the name of free speech.

Upon a review of this thread, I did not interpret a lot of support for your statements as much as explanations that your statements were because of your background and family ties to the island.
Well, you have, "Said your piece...."
... and that being said,

IMHO
Your thread statements smack of bigotry.
the same type that was used to deride and categorize immigrants to this country over the decades...
"There are a few good ones, but some of them are getting uppity"

I rarely flame anyone of this forum.(except the B.I. Pirate).. but you deserve to know that I, for one, think your sentiments are most derisive and are a true hindrance to the betterment of this island. Your public statements go to the heart of what is at issue and being currently discussed on three different threads on this forum.
We, the newest immigrant wave to Beaver Island (and yes, I am mostly of Irish decent) are the ones that are keeping you and your lifestyle afloat .
We are the silent majority. But you are concerned that some of "us" are getting a bit vocal with our concerns..
I say, "Live with it" , because if the local establishment makes the island too inhospitable to newcomers (socially or monetarily) they will merely, "Vote with their feet "... and your, "Wish we had old family values on the island" lifestyle will soon crumble to the ground without the financial underpinning and support of all the newcomers who, like their Irish immigrant forefathers... are merely looking for a fair deal....
Ben Franklin
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Really, John Bolton - Perhaps if you were a little less offensive, people would be less offended.

*editing, before I get hollered at, myself...

Was it not just you who was cautioning others to be mindful of how online comments can end up mis-representing character?
For years you have made your very humble opinion as clear as can be. But can you guess what others read?... Sometimes it is you who comes across as the number one snobby jerk.
CoastieGuy

Post by CoastieGuy »

Strike one Megsing3 on the new Chamber site. The term snobby jerk is not allowed.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

I am going to have to stand by my statement.
If you find my statement offensive, you have every right to call me out about it.
Free speech.

But the part about being a snob..... Wow, had to look up that definition....

Wikipedia:
" The word snobbery came to use the first time in England in the 1820's. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Cambridge and Oxford colleges of writing, "Sine Nobilitate" (Latin for: Without Nobility)or s.nob. next to the name of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates."

So, if I am merely an ordinary island owner and not an aristocratic one, then I guess by this definition, I am a snob.
or
Perhaps you feel that way because I use full coherent sentences...
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

John Bolton is a SNOB :roll: :
S - Sincere
N - Noble
O - Omnipresent (from California)
B - Benevolent
Yes he flames me but I also considerate it terms of endearment. :shock:
When I hear snobbery, I can't help but wonder why Irish decedents believe the island was entrusted to them and their care? It's been mentioned often. How did the Irish rise to number one in the pecking order above the Native Americans, French, English and a photo finish with the Mormons, all who came before? Doesn't Beaver Island belong to all those who came, all those who are here and all those yet to come? If not, you may as well hang out a sign that reads: "100,000 Welcomes to Irish, Others Need Not Come". :?
Skull&CrossBones