Free energy? Well not quite!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

E. Naranjo

Free energy? Well not quite!

Post by E. Naranjo »

There is a movement going on in the world today. As far as I can tell this all became popular after wwII. With petroleum being scarce in other parts of the world it became popular to extract energy from abundant sources of carbon such as wood, hay, compost, coconut shells and even manure. I personally know of several professional mechanics as well as people who retired from Ford, Chrysler and G.M. who have never heard of wood gasification. Probably because O.P.E.C. does not nor never will promote the idea. In any event the technology and data are readily available for any with a desire to investigate and learn.

Why gasification? Good question. With the price of gas at an all time low, why would anyone invest time and energy into extracting fuel from dead vegetation? Well for me the answer is quite simple. I enjoy fire. Whether it is cooking steaks or hamburgs over the fire or just sitting around the fire (and don't forget the wood stove in the living room) I have always enjoyed the reward of building a good old fashioned fire. Now it seems that there is a new incentive for me to continue my pursuit of controlled fire building. That incentive is wood gasification!

Endless possibilities? Yes! imagine, if you will, all of the things that are done today with gasoline, diesel, propane, fuel oil etc. with a fair amount of effort and a lot of conversing you can convert many of your daily requirements over to wood gasification. It seems as though everyone who is currently engaged in this pursuit has a slightly different expectation of what this endeavor should bring them. The results vary from powering a small generator to running a tractor. The sky is the limit. All you have to do is pick an application and get started.

How? The first step would be to talk to someone who has already built a gasifier. It will help with your confidence to speak with someone who has done this before. Another step would be to research the idea. There are literally thousands of these things being built all over the world as you are reading this story. One of my friends from the South end pointed out that if you are in a jam and need help go to Youtube. Seemed kind of funny coming from the Southsider but they do have internet down there and he was right.

F.E.M.A. has a pretty good entry level approach on building your own unit. Their plans are free. In fact most plans are. By using your favorite search engine you will gain all of the information necessary to start you on your way, should you desire to do so. Here is a list of wood gasifier designs. https://www.google.com/search?q=quite&i ... er+designs and here is a really good story about a Good Ole Boy from Alabama named Wayne Keith who has built several units and will probably build several more. http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-tr ... mzroc.aspx

In conclusion I would like to emphasize that in no way will our hobby put a damper on the current sales of fuel here on the island. I would also like to put in a plug for my favorite gas station on Beaver Island, Island Energies! It is my hope that we will always be able to easily fill our tanks and get jumbo bags of Peanut M&M's in one quick stop. If anyone would like to talk about this or any energy solving idea you can e-mail me at... wait, I don't have a e-mail address anymore, you can look me up. A few of us are contemplating having a public discussion after the weather breaks. I figure this might be a way to good way to stay busy during the off season. Thanks for reading, Eric 8)
pbona

Post by pbona »

Here's an interesting fact: During World War II in Germany and Holland, they had coal and wood gasification cars and trucks. What's old is new again. By the way, I have a propane powered generator and I was wondering about how to convert it to gasification (boofer power)?
E. Naranjo

propane to wood gas

Post by E. Naranjo »

Propane powered generators are ideal for conversion to wood gas. Here is a pretty simple explanation of how to begin. The first example would be my choice. The other examples are for industrial type applications and are for those who would rather buy the expensive components. http://www.permies.com/t/42926/biogas/C ... rator-wood The variations of these devices are endless. My favorite quote is from the FEMA pdf and it says " The reader is urged to use his ingenuity and initiative in constructing his own wood gas generator. As long as the principle of airtightness in the combustion regions, in the connecting piping, and in the filter units is followed, the form, shape, and method of assembly IS NOT IMPORTANT." http://www.pssurvival.com/ps/gasifiers/ ... n_2001.pdf