Beaver Island Community School Board Meeting Video

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Here is a link to the video of the September School Board Meeting:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2014Septemb ... eting.html

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

An informed citizenry is a good thing. Thank you, Joe!
E. Naranjo

Things that make this country great!

Post by E. Naranjo »

One thing that makes this country great is the FACT that we still have freedom of speech here in America. Imagine a communistic society where you are told what you can or cannot say! One thing I have learned to appreciate and value is constructive criticism. Often in the past people have pulled me aside and told me things that I strongly disagreed with. After much consideration I came to understand that I have in the past been wrong. I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I refused to listen to the ideas of others. Sometimes I am slightly offended at criticism only to be thankful that some of you care enough to tell me the truth regardless of what I think. The old proverb says "Iron sharpeneth iron; so the man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Free speech is a powerful tool that can produce wonderful results when used wisely. I encourage all to participate in healthy dialogue for the benefit of the whole community. Thank you!
Adam Richards

Post by Adam Richards »

Well said Eric. And did you know that today is Constitution Day? Or was that appreciative message just a happy coincidence? :)
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

Interestingly enough, this video has the most views of any video that has been available on demand by News on the 'Net. Hundreds of views from all over the country. If you haven't viewed it and want to view it, use the link in this thread above.

Joe Moore, editor
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Very interesting, Joe.
E. Naranjo

3 things!

Post by E. Naranjo »

First, the Northern Islander Oct 2014 issue on pages 9-10-11 and 15 lists the candidates for the school board election in November. There are 12 profiles. 6 candidates that will appear on the ballot are as follows: 1) Dave Avery (2 year term) 2) Judith Gallagher (2 year term) 3) Susan Myers (4 year term) 4) Janet C. Nank (4 year term) 5) Kathleen Speck (4 year term) 6)Angel Welke (4 year term) 6 candidates that are running as "Write in candidates are as follows: 7) Judith King Boyle (4 year term) 8) Dustin Cushman (2 year term) 9) Mark Englesman (2 year term) 10) Angela "Andy" Kohls (2 year term) 11) Gerald N LaFreniere (4 year term) 12) Eric Naranjo (4 year term) If you can, please take the time to read the profiles and concerns of all 12 candidates.
Second, if you have an interest in what exactly is going on at the BICS I would encourage all to attend the next meeting on 10/13/14 at 7:30 p.m. rm. 115 at the school. The next meeting should be a continuation of last months meeting regarding the topic of "board goal setting."
Third, if you cannot attend the meetings and wish to view them they are being filmed for Joe Moore's beaverislandnews.com
Thank you for your interest, Eric
editors note, I am not sure why the sunglasses emoticon comes up. This posting is designed to be neutral and fair to all candidates.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Can someone specify how many 2 year terms and how many 4 year terms are available?
Myles & Sally

Post by Myles & Sally »

How many openings will there be on the school board?
medic5740

Positions open on the School Board

Post by medic5740 »

According to the ballot found on the Charlevoix County website. There are 3 four year terms, and 3 Partial Terms Ending 12/31/2016, which means that six of seven board members will be filled in the November election.

You can verify this by going to the http://charlevoixcounty.org/downloads/n ... allots.pdf

Joe Moore
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

The eight with a right bracket is the text version of that emoticon so whenever I type it --> 8) The software helpfully? converts it to the emoticon just like it did back there. Putting a space in between helps 8 )
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
E. Naranjo

Ah ha!

Post by E. Naranjo »

Thanks for the very interesting explanation. I would not have figured that one out.
joddy

Post by joddy »

if it looks like a coo -- sounds like a coo -- it must be a coo!!!
medic5740

Link Removed

Post by medic5740 »

This link will no longer work. I need to save server time for my subscribers.

Joe Moore, editor
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

The BICS board meetings might be this winter's prime entertainment. You can't tell the players without a program. Even better, attend the meetings live, good seats still available. Pick your own Fantasy School Board team members and win a prize. Prizes to be announced. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones