Cormorant Convention

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

medoc

Cormorant Convention

Post by medoc »

On Cable's Bay during the Labor Day weekend, we saw quite a site. There were literally hundreds of cormorants flocking in the north end of the bay. We could see just the necks and heads of those floating in the water, so it looked like a hoard of small pegs sticking out of the water. Some were diving for fish, some were flying and landing in the water and some were just swimming around and enjoying the sun. The next day they were back at the south end of the bay doing the same thing. The whole flock would drift slowly while staying in a limited area, most likely following a school of fish. It was reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". I was so awed I completely missed the opportunity to take some photos. Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time what kind of birds they were and how destructive of the fish population they are. Otherwise I might have used an RPG (rocket propelled grenade) to blow them out of the water (evil grin). I missed the opportunity to rescue a lot of fish.

Greg Haines & Suzanne Haley
Greg Haines
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Good story. I saw a cormorant over the Labor Day weekend in Paradise Bay, sitting on an abandoned dock post. All I had with me was a shovel.
Barb